Ravpower RP-WD01 Wireless WiFi-Disk Review

OP krash183

12th June 2013, 04:24 AM   |  #91  
Thanks Meter: 3

10 posts
Root password for ravpower
Has anyway tried telnet into the ravpower wd01?
My guess is that the admin account works right away.
My experience with a similar device, the Leedo w3000p is that the root password
is "20080826". Can someone please confirm that this works on the ravpower as well?

I am quite happy with the w3000p. Now with the root capability it is easy to
hack the device and add new functionality.

Cheerio.

Let me reply to myself since nobody else seems to be taking notice of this post:
I unraveled the Ravpower WD01 firmware and was able to compare the /etc/passwd file with
the one from my Leedo Wifidisk Wi-Data W3000PH USB 2.5 enclosure, and yes, the root (and admin)
passwords are indeed the same! I strongly believe that both hardwares are very similar (same SoC RT5350
processor, same 32MB RAM, same 8MB flash).

I rooted my device and installed ipkg and dropbear for ssh. I use an ext2 partition on my disk mounted
under /opt. Let me know if anyone wants more details...

All the best
Last edited by geert56; 18th June 2013 at 02:04 AM. Reason: More info
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geert56 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2013, 08:06 AM   |  #92  
Flag flacq
Thanks Meter: 0

57 posts
More
How to configure the ravpower to an access point
Hi have just got my ravpower wifi disk and was able to connect to my ipad and samsung n8000 tablet. As i have read in this forum that we can configure it to our AP so that we can surf and access the disk also. can anyone tell me a step by step guide how can i configure it to my wireless point. i have run the wizard but unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance
16th June 2013, 03:49 PM   |  #93  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

1,360 posts
Have these new Ravpower users read this thread from the start? I think "some" of your questions can be answered if you do.
17th June 2013, 08:12 AM   |  #94  
Flag flacq

57 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski

Have these new Ravpower users read this thread from the start? I think "some" of your questions can be answered if you do.

Ya i have read it from the start but couldn't find anything about my question? My question was how to configure the ravpower to act as a hotspot. I have try to configure it through the web interface, had scan my ssid but when i click save nothing happen. It says limited connectivity on my wireless network connection (connected on the wifidisk)
17th June 2013, 10:05 AM   |  #95  
Thanks Meter: 15

676 posts
Well if the RavPower is not connected to your home network you won't be able to surf the internet while connected to it that's for sure. I would turn on my home network off/on to see if it helps. Check passwords, check that there isn't a security on your home network that requires a button to be pressed before new devices can connect, etc...

On a related matter I finally got to try a hunch I had that you can indeed connect to the RavPower FROM a device connected to your home network (and mount it as a Samba drive) by using the IP address allocated to the RavPower by your home network. In effect it turns it into a network drive.

It really is a jack of all trades, but during a recent hotel stay I did find the WiFi to be a bit weak as it couldn't keep a steady connection to the hotel wifi when my other devices could, including my iPhone 4S, so the next time I'll be sure to pack the diminutive Edimax 6258n too. It has a stronger WiFi as well as ethernet ports if the WiFi is really too bad too use.
18th June 2013, 07:42 AM   |  #96  
Flag flacq

57 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by webvan

Well if the RavPower is not connected to your home network you won't be able to surf the internet while connected to it that's for sure. I would turn on my home network off/on to see if it helps. Check passwords, check that there isn't a security on your home network that requires a button to be pressed before new devices can connect, etc...

On a related matter I finally got to try a hunch I had that you can indeed connect to the RavPower FROM a device connected to your home network (and mount it as a Samba drive) by using the IP address allocated to the RavPower by your home network. In effect it turns it into a network drive.

It really is a jack of all trades, but during a recent hotel stay I did find the WiFi to be a bit weak as it couldn't keep a steady connection to the hotel wifi when my other devices could, including my iPhone 4S, so the next time I'll be sure to pack the diminutive Edimax 6258n too. It has a stronger WiFi as well as ethernet ports if the WiFi is really too bad too use.

Thks for your reply. In fact i have turn off/on my home network but nothing happen.I don't have a password for the network, i have make it open but to be able to connect via wifi i have configure it that only the mac address i have configure can connect via wifi. I have also configure the mac address of the ravpower into my home network but still nothing.
18th June 2013, 11:40 AM   |  #97  
Thanks Meter: 15

676 posts
Well it shouldn't be a problem, but just in case, I would remove the MAC Filtering to establish a first connection.
2nd July 2013, 10:46 PM   |  #98  
Thanks Meter: 2

3 posts
Well I just received this in the mail today and set it up using web access IP. I currently use Itsplaying app which plays all types of movie files. I can connect to the drive and see the files, but when I try to play them it states there is an error. when playing through the airstor app I have no issues.
19th July 2013, 12:06 AM   |  #99  

21 posts
W3000PH
Hey!

I have an enclosure similar to your's, but it's the one with the hdd enclosure.
The model is W3000PH, made by a few brands (FANTEC, NEXTAV, MACALLY, POWER 7, VOCTOR and LEEDO)

I've flashed with the Ravpower RP-WD01 firmware and now it doesn't detect the hard drive :/
Do you have any idea where can i find the original firmware?

Thanks a lot!
22nd July 2013, 05:40 PM   |  #100  

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fric

Hey!

I have an enclosure similar to your's, but it's the one with the hdd enclosure.
The model is W3000PH, made by a few brands (FANTEC, NEXTAV, MACALLY, POWER 7, VOCTOR and LEEDO)

I've flashed with the Ravpower RP-WD01 firmware and now it doesn't detect the hard drive :/
Do you have any idea where can i find the original firmware?

Thanks a lot!

A new firmare:
h**p://www.fileswap.com/dl/c5MVBigepx/

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread