Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,782 Members 38,278 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[guide]Package Installer will not install apk's - Cancel works but not Install button

Tip us?

lsauer
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Info 2 [guide]Package Installer will not install apk's - Cancel works but not Install button

I practically ran into the same problem as outlined above. Since googling for this issue was not straightforward, I thought it wise to make the answer to this issue into a micro-guide.

Quote:
I can no longer install apps (apk's) from the Amazon App Store, or from downloaded apk files, but the market works fine.
I am not rooted, and I am still running 3.2 (US). This started in the last few days, but I can't think of anything that I have done.
I cold booted, but I still get the same results; The install dialog box comes up with the options at the bottom "Install" or "Cancel", however, install does nothing, the window is active because you can press "Show All", or "Cancel" and those do work, but not "Install". I can't think of anything that I have overlooked.
Any Ideas?
http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tall-apks.html

The most a) likely solution comes in the form of b) security applications interfering with the installation, c) package incompatibility with the device or screen filter applications used to lower the device's brightness below the minimal limit of the Brightness settings.

In my case it was the application "Lux" which was to blame. Thus make sure to untick "stay alive in the "generals" option menu. And kill the Lux app. Now installation proceeds unhindered. Avast was not at fault. So don't freak,- often the solutions are trivial - finding the answers isn't.

Thanks to anyone who contributed in the original thread and to xda.
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to lsauer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

billyhoyle13
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Oh man, thanks for this! For me, it was the app 'Screen Adjuster' that was blocking apps from being installed. I turned that off, and I finally have an ad blocker again!

Droid Razr xt910 for the record.

guravravi
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Re: Install apk problem - install button not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyhoyle13 View Post
Oh man, thanks for this! For me, it was the app 'Screen Adjuster' that was blocking apps from being installed. I turned that off, and I finally have an ad blocker again!

Droid Razr xt910 for the record.

Re: Install apk problem - install button not working
If not already done:

Settings -> Apps -> All -> Package Installer Clear Cache & Data, Force Stop, reboot. If this doesn't work repeat, but reboot into recovery and wipe the cache partition.

Still having issues try AppInstaller. Still having issues, there must be a bad system app (frameworks?) that needs clearing and force closed.

100% work
The Following User Says Thank You to guravravi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hzshak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you so much! I was about to tear my hair out in frustration! I had tried everything! But this never occured to me.

invidian1
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I had this inssue too. It's problem with apps which work in background and creating some overlay elements. Disable all this apps and than you can install normally. I had this problem on P.A.C. Rom, after addition of HALO

Sorry for my bad english
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to invidian1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kill_dano
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Was having trouble installing APKs. The 'install' button was not working. Turning off halo fixed problem.

Zarlof
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default Another app causing the issue

Velis Auto brightness.

Too bad, because I liked this app. If anyone knows of an app like that that does not cause the issue, I would appreciate the name.

Zarlof
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarlof For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ashis.kyal
Old
Thanks Meter 76

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarlof View Post
Velis Auto brightness.

Too bad, because I liked this app. If anyone knows of an app like that that does not cause the issue, I would appreciate the name.

Zarlof
Thanks deleted the velis brightness and it worked on my Xperia sp

C5302 (BLacK)

Shriac
Old
Thanks Meter 6
thanks. this happened to me as well. stopped using one of the brightness apps and its back to normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shriac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ch@rly
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I have the same problem, but I have no programs listed.
I tried to disable the automatic brightness control Sony, the Sony Bravia mode, the interactive lockscreen (DashWidget) LightFlow, ....
But it's the same
I can not find what apply blocks installation
Excuses my english....I'm french
---------------------------------
SONY Xperia ZL C6503
JB 4.3 - 10.4.1.B.0.101
Rooted
---------------------------------
HTC Sensation
CyanogenMod 10.1 Jellybean 4.2.2 - KANG by albinoman887

Tags
apk, filter, installer, screen, security