3.5mm jack not working

Search This thread

Enarca

Aug 11, 2009
When i plug in my headphones, they don't work. I just plug them in and whatever sound comes out, comes from the loudspeaker. Is there some hardware issue here or configuration? Im thinking hardware issue is very unlikely as I just got the phone yesterday? Please help.

FloridaK

Aug 6, 2009
London
I had the same issue, after much searching on google I found its a common problem and there's an app called toggle headset that will resolve this. Last time I checked it wasn't in the Marketplace, a quick search on google should lead you to it.

If you have any trouble finding it, let me know and I'll dig out the link for it when I get home.

One word of warning, its unsigned, but it works like a charm for me with no untoward side effects.

Florida.

mikeCr

Mar 26, 2008
3.5mm jack not working
When i plug in my headphones, they don't work. I just plug them in and whatever sound comes out, comes from the loudspeaker. Is there some hardware issue here or configuration? Im thinking hardware issue is very unlikely as I just got the phone yesterday? Please help.

I had the exact same problem and a simple reboot fixed it for me. No problems since. I wrote about it here

http://www.walkingrandomly.com/?p=1585

Cheers,
Mike

suisen

Apr 25, 2009
Zagreb
Toggle Headset did it, but it's still annoying to have to toggle stuff like that....also, any similar toggles for LED's? :D

Thiesen

Aug 8, 2009
Toggle Headset did it, but it's still annoying to have to toggle stuff like that....also, any similar toggles for LED's? :D

Woah... it sure worked to use that widget... then it IS a software problem.

Let's see if I can deduce something from what I have been reading and my own experience so far:

1. The first couple of days I had the HTC Hero the device automatically switched from internal speaker to headphones when I put those in.
2. After a while the device no longer recognised when using headphones.
3. Then I started to listen in the headphones while pulling the plug in and out of the socket. I DID hear clicks which told me that there wasn't anything loose to the contacts.
4. Then I read that others had the very same problem and someone suggested that a hardware reset maybe would fix it. I wasn't prepared to go that path just yet though. Then something happened that more or less forced me to do that hardcore reset anyway. That didn't fix it.
5. Enter "Toggle Headphones". It works.

From this my first thought was that it might have been a hardware fault and a return was necessary. Then I began to read about others having the same problem. A hardware fault affecting lots of users in the first week the phone had been out in the wild? I am not saying it could not happen but it is very unlikely though. But then again a hardware reset should have fixed it right? It didn't. The date and time the phones gets from the network would have been reset too, but since the phone immediatly gets the right time and date as soon as it is powered on from a hardware reset makes it dificult to test (I know we can turn off that feature).

As it is now I think something is wrong with the time and date thingy. And it is a software problem.

Scratch the time and date stuff. I just tried to manually change the time and date back to the day I first got this device and it didn't work either.

Last edited: