5,604,631 Members 39,643 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is there any Android-based GPS navigator?

Tip us?

MIH1406
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Is there any Android-based GPS navigator?

Hi,

I have a GPS Navigator for my car, which is GARMIN, but I prefer the Google Navigator and Google Maps.

My question is clear, Is there an Android-based GPS Navigator device?

Or

Can I flash Android to my car's GARMIN device?

electricpete1
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Is there a reason you don't want to use an Android phone to run the Google Maps/Nav application ?

gagdude
Old
Thanks Meter 535

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricpete1 View Post
Is there a reason you don't want to use an Android phone to run the Google Maps/Nav application ?
My thoughts exactly. Why put Android onto a dedicated GPS device when you can have GPS within Android?

Sent from my DROID2 using xda premium
MY LINE OF DEVICES

Bold indicates daily driver

iPod Touch 4 | Motorola Cliq - r | LG Ally - r | Motorola Droid - r | Motorola Droid 2 | Samsung Focus | Motorola Flipside - r | LG MyTouch Q - r | Kyocera Rise | LG Nexus 4 - r | Motorola Atrix 2 | HTC Droid DNA - r | LG Nexus 5 - r

AaronCompNetSys
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I have the same question, I've got 3 Garmins and they are all giving out. New Garmin devices have reduced functionality and the prices are higher! Its completely retarded.

I actually did try using an Android phone as a GPS, as I've got a spare Galaxy device with dock, audio out, and hard wired power adapter. There is no way a phone will do the heavy lifting that my Garmin devices do. Here is a list of requirements that you need in a GPS that Android on phones don't meet.
  1. Visibility with a matte screen. For use in a standard car or a convertible, you have to have a matte screen for seeing while driving.
  2. Power on automation and reliability. The device needs to power up on its own and be ready to go without any user interaction. One of my Garmin devices starts playing my MP3 playlist on boot up through AUX in my stock head unit.
  3. Rock solid GPS reception. I've never had a phone be near as accurate as a GPS unit.
  4. Offline maps

I used Sygic on my Galaxy and the processor ran at full speed to keep the app running smoothly, overheating it after a while. Partially due to being in the sunlight on my dashboard. The screen was practically unreadable due to glare.

Here are some features I would love to have if I had a Garmin form factor and screen with Android:
  1. Wifi auto connect to my house when I part, for map updates and to rsync my music collection
  2. Better bluetooth connect and phone call interrupt
  3. AUX input for an analog trucker style radio, to communicate with other cars and trucks

Any ideas? Maybe a device that supports custom ROMs, Android or non-android?

Pics of my setup: