XDA DevDB FAQ / Feedback / Bug Reports

3rd July 2013, 06:51 PM   |  #1  
OP User Experience Admin
Thanks Meter: 3,489

3,423 posts
More
This is relating to the announcement of DevDB: http://www.xda-developers.com/announ...the-xda-devdb/

Please use this thread to report bugs, request features, and offer feedback.

================================================== ============

The main DevDB Access url is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/

This is @bitpushr here, I'm hijacking @svetius's thread to put a bit more information and a quick FAQ on the DevDB for people.

The overall goal of DevDB is to give structure to the development projects on XDA. Most obviously this is for ROMs, but also kernels and other tools and projects that you wonderful people come up with. I've been getting a lot of PMs about DevDB so I thought I'd compile them into a little FAQ:

1. How Do I Add Projects to DevDB?

You can visit the main DevDB url, and if you have access to add a project or import an existing thread, you will see the following links:

• Adding a project will allow you to enter a new project from scratch and automatically create a thread for you.
  • Importing an existing thread will allow you to "enhance" the thread by adding it to the DevDB database and let you add more detailed information about your project.

2. Why should I add my project to DevDB?

For developers, it adds crucial metadata to your project that will allows us to show your project in more locations on the site. Threads that are "DevDB-ized" show up in the device page ROM listings, for example. We also add some cool features like a new large-file download system, reviews, a bug reporter/feature requester, and more.

For end-users, it allows us to present the ROMs and other projects on the site in a friendlier format. Rather than scouring forums and threads for new ROMs, we want to give them a place to see these projects and the unique features each one has.

We have some other cool ideas 'in the pipeline' so we thoroughly encourage devs to add their projects to DevDB.

3. Who can add projects?

Right now Recognized Developers and some other beta users are able to add projects to the system. If you wish to be added to the best-tester list, please pm @bitpushr.

Eventually we'll open this up to all "Senior Members" after we get all of the bugs out.
Last edited by bitpushr; 8th August 2013 at 09:06 PM.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to svetius For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2013, 07:58 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,349

2,729 posts
More
This is really cool.

Thanks a lot.
3rd July 2013, 07:59 PM   |  #3  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 838

496 posts
Donate to Me
More
That's why this is my favorite forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZordanKV For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th July 2013, 12:24 AM   |  #4  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,548

5,563 posts
More
Some characters aren't showing correctly in FF 22.0. They show up fine under Chromium. I'm using Linux.
The characters are located:
  • Just before the device's name;
  • Near each of the table's columns' titles;
  • The stars also seem hidden (didn't check if those were ASCII characters or images, tho);
  • There's a weird "fi" showing in the search bar. It's in black when using the normal theme, so it may be less visible than on my dark theme.

Also, the bottom bar ("Total Results: X") has white text on a white background using the default theme (on both browsers).
4th July 2013, 02:40 AM   |  #5  
Flag Olney
Thanks Meter: 67

522 posts
More
Awesome idea!
4th July 2013, 03:26 AM   |  #6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermainZ

Some characters aren't showing correctly in FF 22.0. They show up fine under Chromium. I'm using Linux.
The characters are located:

• Just before the device's name;
  • Near each of the table's columns' titles;
  • The stars also seem hidden (didn't check if those were ASCII characters or images, tho);
  • There's a weird "fi" showing in the search bar. It's in black when using the normal theme, so it may be less visible than on my dark theme.

Also, the bottom bar ("Total Results: X") has white text on a white background using the default theme (on both browsers).

that's a weird binary character. It's actually a hexadecimal representation of a character which is not present in the font you are using.

I have a few issues to address. What about tools which can be used for all devices? The CASUAL project just started a new IDE called CASCADE. It will eventually allow for users to create their own CASUALs easily via guided use of the CASUAL language. Also, there's plenty of CASUAL scripts which will work on all, many, some or one device. Is it possible to link these tools cross-forum?
4th July 2013, 05:07 AM   |  #7  
Flag Richmond, KY
Thanks Meter: 311

693 posts
More
This is frigging awesome.

Feature requests:

1) Can/will this be enabled for [APP] threads, too? Has anyone SEEN the Nova Launcher thread lately?! But, not just for clutter--the feature request, Q&A, etc. will be very useful, too.

2) Can a FAQ tab be added? Not essential, but may keep 1st post of ROM threads from overflowing with paragraphs and paragraphs of text. Also, related to idea 6, below.

3) In bug reports, can we enter our hardware somewhere so we don't have to re-type it every time? Also, can multiple devices be selected, a la Google Play website app installing?

4) In bug reports, can we have a separate, but REQUIRED TO FILL OUT, text box for steps to reproduce?

5) Can bug reports be edited? Many times we think we know the issue, but then another user discovers the actual regression, and then instead of two bug reports, one can be made?

6) The biggest one is the last, hehe. Can we somehow have user-editable FAQs for threads? I seriously think XDA needs to implement Wiki's IN THREADS. People check threads (nobody, IMO, sees or even knows that XDA has a Wiki) and there are a handful of users who are nearly as knowledgeable as the developer who post. Maybe only OP-approved people can edit. But, seriously, you guys can make XDA legitimately 100x better if you implemented Wiki-style FAQs for these special threads.

Many people know the answer, but don't want to retype it 500 times. Now, let them put their answer in a very EASY TO FIND place in the FAQ. You seriously harness the power of this extremely knowledgeable community. If you don't, then you leave smart people upset at multiple people posting the same question.

Question:

1) Are [IMG] tags going to work in bug reports? IMO, those might be useful.
4th July 2013, 01:52 PM   |  #8  
Flag Milton, Florida ✖✖✖✖✖✖✖✖✖✖
Thanks Meter: 10,054

4,618 posts
More
Arrow My two cents
Hopefully this isn't looked on as the ultimate sin or put me on any list hahaha BUT I have a question for any admin/moderator that's directly involved in this project....

How is this helping the developer?

I see a lot of things that users would love and want because they see this site more of a ROM shop then a development site but I don't see how this helps the developers, the ones doing the actual development.

I mean, judging from threads like the NOVA thread which ikjadoon pointed out above....users don't read or even search before posting which in turn causes developers to take more time away from the development process to answer questions that have been asked and answered about 100000 times if not more.

They also ignore warnings in OPs unless they're in BIG RED letters. They post in the wrong sections time after time even though there are stickies and is written in the XDA rules. The list goes on and on and on, how users repeatedly prove that they can't read 2-3 paragraphs if not less of information that will help them and/or follow simple instructions.

I'm not on any high horse here but if you ask anybody that's willing to be truthful if this is true or not, they will answer HELL YES.

With that said, by encouraging users to be even more lazy and giving them tabs is not only making it more difficult for the developer(s) by having him or her fill out these tabs BUT is not in my opinion going to fix the clutter/searching before posting issue.

This will also (in my opinion) send a wave of users harassing developers if they chose NOT to take part in the whole tabs project.

I don't have all the answers nor do I expect any of the admins/moderators that are directly involved in this project to have them BUT I believe this would be a step in the wrong direction if organizing the forums is the ultimate goal here.

ONCE again, this is my opinion. At the end of the day, is your site and you will do as you want. I'm just a member throwing my two cents in...don't shoot!
Last edited by Mazda; 4th July 2013 at 01:54 PM.
4th July 2013, 03:32 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 50

473 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svetius

This is relating to the announcement of DevDB: http://www.xda-developers.com/announ...the-xda-devdb/

Please use this thread to report bugs, request features, and offer feedback.

How about a field in the DevDB that indicates if the ROM passes Google's CTS (Compatibility Test Suite)? Some people may not want to install something that deviates too far from what Google intended Android to be like (or if something fundamental got broken), if you know what I mean.
Just my humble $0.02

ref: http://source.android.com/faqs.html#...ity-test-suite

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Last edited by Nate2; 4th July 2013 at 03:47 PM.
4th July 2013, 04:42 PM   |  #10  
Flag Richmond, KY
Thanks Meter: 311

693 posts
More
@Mazda

Some of your points are EXACTLY the reason I think each of these threads needs a user-editable (aka wiki-style) FAQ.

The developer, here, does NOT need to create and edit the FAQ themselves. Many knowledgeable users can do that and the developer is free to simply curate it.

If the FAQ is readily available in a tab, I think you will see a significant decrease in thread noise.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread