-THE ULTIMATE =BATTERY LIFE + GAMING PERFORMANCE=[setup/guide/UNDERVOLTING-explained]

Was this thread helpfull

• Yes

Votes: 239 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 5.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

kris234

Nov 27, 2010
Tegra 3 it's Frankenstein chip lol, it took Dan HTC and nvidia almost a year to tame hox, anyway hox is very fast device in everything but gaming, s3 which has slightly weaker hardware still runs games better and barely gets any heat, anyway regarding the system we are still one of the fastest devices, especially vs s3. Anyway no more Frankenstein chips for me, s600 is way ahead of t3 regarding everything, if you gonna get new devices this year I strongly recommend HTC one, it's literally perfect!

Anyway np mate glad it helped you :thumbup:

If I were you I'd make nandroid back up of that set up you're using just in case you go crazy and start experimenting with mods kernels etc lol :p

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Yeah will do!
Not buying anything, which doesnt have your battery tweaks lol :D if there was " HTC one with Shan89's battery performance" I would get it without a doubt ! :good:

Shan89

Oct 23, 2012
Yeah will do!
Not buying anything, which doesnt have your battery tweaks lol :D if there was " HTC one with Shan89's battery performance" I would get it without a doubt ! :good:

Lol thx for the compliments mate :thumbup: anyway I'll be making the thread for battery as well for the one sometime soon, I guess in few weeks.

bluehunter9

Feb 8, 2012
Auckland
Just wanted to share my battery performance:

ROM: Viper X 3.74
Kernel Alex 1.5 Test
Governor: Interactive
I/O Scheduler: Noop
Clock speed: 1.3Ghz
Multicore power saving: 2 (aggressive)
Max core: 2
UV: -25mV
GPU freq: 416
Brightness: 25%

Getting perfectly smooth performance (moreso than smartmax/noop/4 cores)

Usage: A few youtube videos, browsing web/xda, couple phone calls, few text messages, reading stuff on google drive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-04-17-08-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-07-04-17-08-53.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 445
  • Screenshot_2013-07-05-00-08-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-07-05-00-08-59.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 442

Shan89

Oct 23, 2012
Just wanted to share my battery performance:

ROM: Viper X 3.74
Kernel Alex 1.5 Test
Governor: Interactive
I/O Scheduler: Noop
Clock speed: 1.3Ghz
Multicore power saving: 2 (aggressive)
Max core: 2
UV: -25mV
GPU freq: 416
Brightness: 25%

Getting perfectly smooth performance (moreso than smartmax/noop/4 cores)

Usage: A few youtube videos, browsing web/xda, couple phone calls, few text messages, reading stuff on google drive.

Impressive considering it's interactive governor :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

bosas200

Feb 28, 2012
Šilutė
This is my battery life. Stock battery ARHD 22 stock kernel. Auto brightness most of the usage was outside. Everything else stock. Sorry for my english :D

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373384867184.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373384867184.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 305

alenbernardis

Sep 23, 2008
Maybe someone can confirm/explain that. I had a lot of awake time (android os) and wakelocks (most power related), and by disabling s2w i got rid of the top wakelocks and the awake time is 1/10 of before. I am on sentinel 4.75 rom, n3o v42 kernel (row/smartmax), fresh install.

"It's just a ride!"

Shan89

Oct 23, 2012
Maybe someone can confirm/explain that. I had a lot of awake time (android os) and wakelocks (most power related), and by disabling s2w i got rid of the top wakelocks and the awake time is 1/10 of before. I am on sentinel 4.75 rom, n3o v42 kernel (row/smartmax), fresh install.

"It's just a ride!"

I think you are right I always found better battery life with s2w disabled for some reason.

Reactions: alenbernardis

asp2010

Oct 9, 2010
I think you are right I always found better battery life with s2w disabled for some reason.

Of course battery life is much better now, especially on stand-by.

"It's just a ride!"

I tested this difference on Alex's kernel, when he made a version with no s2w at all, and found no difference in battery life with or without s2w. I guess if you touch your phone's screen a lot while it's off, you might get more wakelocks and battery drain, but, otherwise, there shouldn't be much of a difference, since the touchscreen itself always stays on anyway.

I'm not saying you can't get better battery life without s2w, just that I didn't notice any improvement and it might be the placebo effect :D

Sent using the xda app

alenbernardis

Sep 23, 2008
I tested this difference on Alex's kernel, when he made a version with no s2w at all, and found no difference in battery life with or without s2w. I guess if you touch your phone's screen a lot while it's off, you might get more wakelocks and battery drain, but, otherwise, there shouldn't be much of a difference, since the touchscreen itself always stays on anyway.

I'm not saying you can't get better battery life without s2w, just that I didn't notice any improvement and it might be the placebo effect :D

Sent using the xda app

Probably the problem is that most of the time I keep my phone in my pocket, and touching the screen all the time keeps the phone awake, draining the battery faster. Well at least I know now. :)

"It's just a ride!"

Shan89

Oct 23, 2012

Sent using the xda app

Probably the problem is that most of the time I keep my phone in my pocket, and touching the screen all the time keeps the phone awake, draining the battery faster. Well at least I know now. :)

"It's just a ride!"

Same here. :thumbup:

csec

Feb 19, 2013
Maxwen said that as long as you don't touch your screen while off, no drain will occur.

Shan89

Oct 23, 2012
Maxwen said that as long as you don't touch your screen while off, no drain will occur.

So basically this is good for those who use phone with some flip case etc which I tested today anyway results = less wakelocks.

Shan89

Oct 23, 2012
Hey guys I'm kinda abandoning this thread , there won't be anymore any updates since my hox got killed by my lil bro. See you guys @ one thread :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Stefan0vic

May 16, 2013
What app or whatever do you use to undervolt? As it sais that those who use trickster kernel can only use trickster app.
I want to undervolt my HOX when it's sleeping. I've tried setCPU but it won't let me change voltages.
Running alex's kernel btw

Last edited:

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
What app or whatever do you use to undervolt? As it sais that those who use trickster kernel can only use trickster app.
I want to undervolt my HOX when it's sleeping. I've tried setCPU but it won't let me change voltages.
Running alex's kernel btw

You can use trickstermod on n3o and xm kernels without issues.

You can also use system turner.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone i know there are few threads about battery/gaming so i tought to make a thread with a review about battery life + gaming performance and add guides along with it.

Ok 1st i'd like to say i've pretty much flashed every single rom ,kernel, battery saving apps, performance boost apps, mods etc that are currently avilable so trust me i know what i'm writing here.

THREAD NAVIGATION:
    • Post 1 contains: Undervolting guide & everything related to undervolting CPU & GPU, EMC Overclocking, Rom setup guide, kernel setup (gaming / battery ), kernel settings list of updates
    • Post 2 contains: Rom & kernel battery life reviews + benchamrks , Performance may cry setup added (battery life settings)
    • Post 3 contains: Additional info about kernels / governors and what they do , schedulers and what they do & additional scrips.
    • FAQ Link for rookies and EVERY other question / guide about your HTC One X - Thx to Geko95 = HERE
    • Wakelocks guide for those with bad battery life - Thx to Goku80 = HERE
    =========================================================================

First of all i'd like to give credits and massive thank to these guys who made all this possible:

- Hamdir - for all his guides and contribution for One X , he is one of the main reasons why we have smooth gaming !
    - Xmister - kernels ( xm106 )
    - Maxwen - the battery saving governor - Smartmax Governor
    - Mwilky and his team for Renovate rom
    - Patrics83 and his team for RomCleaner tool
    - RichmondUK and his venom team for ViperX Rom
    - n3ocort3x Kernels
    - TripNdroid Kernels

---Excuse me if i've forgot someone.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Updates:

• FInally cleaned the whole damn thread , still some left overs :p

• PMC v8 interactive/battery setups added @ post 2. UPDATED 15.5.2013 ///bottom of the post 2

• Added New SetCPU v2 profiles Read post 2 at the bottom UPDATED 15.5.2013 ///bottom of the post 2

• Added AOSP/AOKP/CM SetCPU , profiles Read post 2 at the bottom UPDATED 2.4.2013 ///bottom of the post 2

• Added NEW SetCPU , profiles Read post 2 for changelog ( everything fixed ) UPDATED 25.3.2013 ///bottom of the post 2

• Added SetCPU GUIDE and my Save with SetCPU Profiles BALANCE Version this is only for those who have SMARTMAX & PMC GOVERNORS in their kernel UPDATED 25.3.2013 ///bottom of the post 2

• Added EMC OC Guide, this is only for those who use XM kernel 235# and above UPDATED 12.3.2013 /// post 1

• Added PMC v5 this is only for those who use XM kernel 226# and above (PMC is now the new governor at XM kernel read post 2 for more info ) UPDATED 10.3.2013 /// post 2

Added *Performance may cry setup v2* (battery life setup)- UPDATED 3.3.2013 /// post 2

• Added info about schedulers and what they do - UPDATED 22.2.2013 /// post 3

• Added info about governors and what they do - UPDATED 26.2.2013 /// post 3

Kernel updates:

XM kernel beta version(s) :

Disable JRCU, according to maxwen it caused lockups.
    #303 cpu clock changes reverted.
    Switching governors will no longer update calibration control.
    Touch-screen updates(S2W,DT2W) from maxwen.
    Variant info added back.

Included maxwen's double-tap to wake (needs sysfs enable), and inner CPU clock changes.

Included maxwen's fixes for freq. locks and LP mode switch with OC.

Default UV removed.

Xm-Kernel STABLE version(s) :

#106v2
    #106v3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kernel reviews @ Post 2

========================================================================================[/CENTER]
    - If you'd like to donate to any of these ppl please do so because they're the ones who made this possible, i'm just making it simple and hopefully preventing questions from everywhere about battery/kernels/roms , which is the best etc etc. And remember the kernel is most responsable for your battery life. So the point is you can use any rom of your choice with this kernel as long as you do things right. And follow what i wrote down there.

As for me i'd be happy just with simple *thanks* button if this was helpful to you in any way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROM, Kernel, Undervolting, underclocking, overclocking settings:

ROM Settings:

Roms should be cleaned with RomCleaner tool just i used my own scrip since i wanted to keep some apps and widget, after cleaning i had 114 system apps on my hox , Renovate rom comes with around 200 or so + the apps you'll install. (rom cleaner also improves the battery and rom speed a little) Other then that nothing else changed except i added tons of mods but thats up to you what you'll add. And the only setting you'll need to enable in Renovate rom is 2d rendering This improves alot scrolling times in apps especially the ones like *Advanced system care and Rom Toolbox lite*​

Kernel settings:

Battery settings

the only thing you'll have to do manualy is switch the governor after flashing Xm kernel onto Smartmax And thats all you have to do to have great battery life, in my case i underclocked my CPU to 1200mhz with smartmax governor + RoW scheduler , if you want to keep it faster (but you don't really need any more speed with this governor) leave it as it is, or to make it even faster use Smartmax + deadline + sampling rate 30000 + touch poke freq 1500000 ] , you can make it even faster but trust me no need for that. Use this governor and it's settings as daily settings for light tasks and light usage of your phone.

Gaming settings:

For this you should be using interactive / gaming governor + deadline scheduler and that's all you need to do of course if you do underclock your CPU make sure you reset it back to 1500 after you change the governor , no need for apps that boost your phone, if you wanna make things even faster and governor more aggressive change this value in governor settings : go max speed load 45 this will increase speed ( remember this will make battery drain even faster ) , and if you wanna push max performance that your hox can deliver at current time change min frequency 1500 as well remeber THIS will make your hox battery drain fast as hell ! And sd card read ahead speed should be 4096 if is not set like this by default you can use system tuner and change it. For tuning governors and freqs you could use SetCPU easier and faster to do so.

Games that i used for testing are: NFSMW, MC4 , Shadown gun deadzone, Wildblood.
    Each of this games were incredibly smooth and playable like never before.

Undervolting

Ok so as many of you heard undervolting should improve your battery life and it does by maybe 5% tops 10% if you're lucky.
    But the main reason why i undervolt is so i keep my phone cooler when gaming you wont notice big difference in avarage daily use without gaming but with gaming you should notice the difference but again this mainly depends on your CPU variant, in my case i have variant 3 which means i can undervolt more then variant 2-1-0 , thats the only good thing about undervolting , of course i could overclock more then other variants but we don't need overclocking with this kernel and rom.
    The difference and battery improvement you'll be able to see only this way really and none other this is how : without undervolting and lets say playing NFSMW my phone ON charger reaches around 55c TOPS ( which is overheating and you lose more battery then what your charger can recharge for you ) but with undervolting my phone is reaching TOPS 45C and avarage 40C ( this also depends on the room temperature and your hands body temperature ) The reason why i did tests on charger is because thats the fastest way to test overheating and undervolting and NO do NOT play heavy games while charging this is KILLING your battery and lowering it's life cycle ! it's like eating while sh1tting !!!

Now i can't tell you which values to use since like i said above none chip is the SAME nor the variant so you'll have to figure out this on your own but i can give you the ROUGH idea how-to.

Update - rough idea how to undervolt
    CPU
    properly:

• ok i'll mark frequencies with colors:​

Before we start remember this: Undervolting depends mostly on your ROM , Kernel , USAGE !

• RED = Don't undervolt too much
    • BLUE = Undervolt normally as you do
    • BLACK =Don't undervolt or undervolt just a little this will depend on your variant and rom mostly

1500+ , 1400,1300,1200,1100,1000 e.g 1500mhz freq. has 1237mV by default if you're a gamer you can undervolt this one to lets say -50-100 (up to the variant) if you're not a gamer you can go even up to -125/150 , now this can depend also on which freq do you use the most in gaming lets say , if you're using quad lock e.g 1500 , -75 should be enough, === freqs under 1500 can be undervolted more since they wont be used, but if you don't use quad locking then you need to balance the undervolting between -50-100 (this depends on the game and which freq it uses the most)
    860 , 760, 640 are the freqs in the *middle* those can be undervolted even more , up to -150 (default UV should be around -100 here) since they are barly used but you can use cpySpy to check which freqs your device uses the most and then use that info to balance your undervolting and find right freqs.
    475,340,204,102,51 are the freqs more like *screen on standby freqs, mostly 340/51* or the LP core freqs, these should be undervolted MAX -50/75or not at all these freqs are used also for e.g. listening to music while screen off , if you undervolt too much you can experience laggs etc.

• Important: Variant 3 can undervolt more then this but it *shouldn't* really up to you to decide

IMPORTANT: Those who use XM kernel USE TRICKSTER MOD APP ONLY !

First of all you can use guide what i made above for undervolting but since we have accurate undervolting now you SHOULD undervolt THIS way and this way only:

• Variant 0 = you can use undervolting max up to -50 MAX ! or if you're doing step by step undervolting you might push some freqs -75
    • Variant 1/2: You can undervolt MAX up to -75 or at some steps -100 tops.
    • Variant 3: you can undervolt MAX -100/125 and on some freqs MAYBE -150 , but of course you need to do step by step.

Remember: this are the SAFE undervolting values for all 4 variants You can try undervolting more if you like but i wouldn't recommend it since i'm sure it will most likely cause issues for you.

Remember: The UV values i've used above are supposed to be *DEFAULT* uv you should use , but users with variant 0 MIGHT suffer and have to use lower values

Note: I guess 90% of ppl are lazy to mess with per freq undervolting and finding what works for them and what not since consumes alot of time, anyway you guys should be good with -50-75 variants 0, 1 ,2 , as for variant 3 you should be able to go up to -100-125 on all freqs.[/SIZE]

GPU - Undervolting - Safe values

• [*]Ok so for GPU undervolting you need to be on XM #153 kernel and above and follow this steps:

Use some root explorer to enable GPU undervolting and navigate here:
    sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/gpu_voltage
    , open it , the default value is
    0 to enable GPU undervolting type 1
    and SAVE make sure to enable *system as writable*
    After you do that you need to download this app from playstore *Trickster MOD* This is the ONLY app whit which GPU undervolting works for now. After that install app and you'll see GPU freqs like this: For e.g. *520000, 484000* etc those are the GPU freqs and their voltage.

The safe values:
    • Variant 0 = -25MV on all freqs.
    • Variant 1/2 = -25/50 on all freqs.
    • Variant 3 = -50-100 on all freqs.
    The 1st freq i wrote is 100% safe, the second is ASSUMED to be safe as well, but you wont know unless you try it :cyclops:

How to test are these values safe and wont freeze/reboot your phone.

Probably many of you know when you undervolt too much your phone eventually feezes and reboots this happens because phone can't give enough of voltage to the certain frequency that is in that time used mostly so it has no other way out but to freeze and reboot. and the way to test this is it *safe* is either to use *antutu bechmark app* , *epic citadel* or *stability test* Those 3 tend to push max performance very fast and easy out of your phone so if any app gonna show you is it safe it's these , tho sometimes but rarely your phone will run them both without reboots so i suggest you do each of them 2x just to be sure, and even if then sometimes very very rarely if your phone doesn't reboot the last way you could've find out is it gonna reboot is by playing NFSMW for 10mins.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

GPU Overclocking & underclocking - Safe freqs

For this to work use some root explorer and navigate here: sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/gpu_oc , open it there you'll see default GPU freqs like this: 520 520 520 520 484 400 304 267 247 those are the DEFAULT freqs on XM kernel and make sure to enable *system as writable* before you start doing anything. Those freqs are great balance for GAMING and BATTERY but if you're an ADVANCED USER you might wanna make those freqs EVEN HIGHER for better performance (not needed imo ) or LOWER for better battery life

- Maximum performance freqs that works for everyone: 560 560 560 560 560 484 400 304 247
    - Freqs for battery life while keeping some poor performance (gaming speaking): 304 304 304 304 304 304 304 304 247
    - Default freqs ( battery & gaming ): 520 520 520 520 484 400 304 267 247
    Thx to Neo for this freqs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

All kernel settings: S2W Configs: , DoubleTap2Wake Configs: , Activate fast charge: , Enable smartdimmer: , To get your variant: , 3D Tuning: , 2D Tuning: , EMC Tuning ( ram ): , Auto-BLN Control: , Backlight button brightness: , GPU Voltage control: , LP OC: , Audio Min. Freq.:​

Thx to Xmister for this.

S2W Configs:

Turn off:

Code:

echo "0" > /sys/android_touch/sweep2wake

Or you can download "Sweep2Wake-Widget" from Google Play.
    Button panel locks to s2w after this distance:
    Code:

/sys/android_touch/s2w_register_threshold

Screen turns on/off after this distance:
    Code:

/sys/android_touch/s2w_min_distance

Direction independent(1 - Yes, 0 - No):
    Code:

/sys/android_touch/s2w_allow_stroke

DoubleTap2Wake Configs:

Turn on:

Code:

echo "1" > /sys/android_touch/s2w_allow_double_tap

Activate fast charge:
    Code:

echo '1' > /sys/devices/platform/htc_battery/fast_charge

Enable smartdimmer:​
    Code:

echo "1" > /sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/enable

To get your variant:​
    Code:

cat /sys/kernel/debug/t3_variant

(Or see it in a root explorer)
    cpu_process_id is your variant.

3D Tuning:
    If you want to change clocks, you have to write the whole clock table again, from up to down. In case you want to reset to default, this is it:
    Code:

echo '520 520 520 520 492 484 380 247' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/gpu_oc

If you want to set them at boot, use an init script. Here is one. Just copy to /system/etc/init.d and set the permissions to executable by everyone with a root explorer. (Thx to Byrana)
    Here is a flashable script that will work on newer kernels too for everyone. It also enables fast_charge. (Thx again Byrana)

2D Tuning:​
    If you want to change clocks, you have to write the whole clock table again, from up to down. In case you want to reset to default, this is it:
    Code:

echo '520 520 520 520 492 484 380 247' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/two_d_oc

You should NOT OC this higher than 3D.

EMC Tuning:​
    Code:
    echo '667 667 667 667 408 408 408 408' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/emc_oc

If you want to OC let's say to 800MHz:
    Code:
    echo '800 800 800 800 667 667 408 408' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/emc_oc

Auto-BLN Control:​
    Interface:
    /sys/class/leds/button-backlight/auto_bln
    Values:

0: BLN OFF/Green led ON
    1: BLN ON/Green led ON
    2: BLN ON/Green led OFF

Example:
    Turn off Auto-BLN:
    Code:

echo '0' > /sys/class/leds/button-backlight/auto_bln

The changes will apply from the next notification.

Backlight button brightness:
    Interface:
    /sys/class/leds/button-backlight/button_brightness
    Values:

0-255: 0 is off, 255 is the maximum possible.

Example:
    Code:

echo '50' > /sys/class/leds/button-backlight/button_brightness

The changes will apply from the next backlight turn on.

GPU Voltage control:
    If you want to enable this you should write '1' to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/gpu_voltage.
    In command line that is:

Code:

echo '1' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/gpu_voltage

After that you need to restart your voltage control app (Trickster Mod).
    Now you will see the GPU frequencies multipled by 1000 to separate them from the CPU frequencies. So you will see 520000MHz, etc.

Be advised that there are a really few HOX's that can handle more UV on Core, than the preset 50.
    Also incrasing your Core voltage over 1300mV is NOT ADVISED AT ALL. Almost everything uses this voltage on your motherboard.
    If you want to enable the values at boot, you need an init script that enables it, so later Trickster mod or anything can set them.

LP OC:​
    Interface:
    /sys/module/cpu_tegra/parameters/enable_lp_oc
    Values:

0: LP OC OFF
    1: LP OC to 620MHz

Example:
    Turn on LP OC:
    Code:

echo '1' > /sys/module/cpu_tegra/parameters/enable_lp_oc

Audio Min. Freq.:
    Interface:
    /sys/module/snd_soc_tlv320aic3008/parameters/audio_min_freq
    Example:
    Change audio min. freq. to 204MHz:
    Code:

echo 204000 > /sys/module/snd_soc_tlv320aic3008/parameters/audio_min_freq

Save settings:
    If you want any of the above settings saved, you can use Ibas21 recovery package

=======================================================================​

Remember you wont probably get same screen on time as i did , you could get even more then i did or less, it ALL DEPENDS on your USAGE/Screen brightness!

That should be all enjoy.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
    The screenshots and my usage are in post 2, hope this helps , if not sorry for wasting your time if you read this , cheers and good luck to everyone :)

If you have any question please feel free to post them and i'll give my best to answer them.

Also as the kernel updates and rom updates go i'll try to update in here as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

And lastly i will not be held responsible for anything that may or may not happen to your device ! All you do you do at your own risk. :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And of course please hit *thanks* button if this was helpful​
    :highfive::good:

==================================================================================​
    Bechmarks - updated.

------------ ------------

Viper X Rom 3.3.7 XM Kernel 139#[Beta]
    Usage:

Somewhere between normal and heavy , battery life was great, not so much on the wifi this time, and all in all great kernel with one tiny bug, if you use autobrightness you'll see flickering , tho this got fixed in 147#. And i plugged the phone right before screen shots for maybe a minut to put pics on the pc and in the meantime i made those screenshots, you can see that in the usage. Brightness varied between low (15%) and maximum. The most used brightness used was 35%.

----------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

Black Pearl unofficial beta Rom 4.0.4 - XM Kernel 188#[Beta]
    Usage:

- 1st of all , extreme undervolting and underclocking was done for this test.
    - The rom and kernel were also flashed for the very 1st time.

-------- --------

================================================================================================

1st how PMC works:

Well simply i made it use as *ideal_freq* 340mhz , minimum freq is 51mhz , the freq you'll be using alot would be 340/475 , that is your main freq on PMC for boost to avoid huge laggs, another thing is it will try and use most of the time only 1 core unless that core is at 90% cpu load , and min cpu load is 50 to make sure you don't get frequent wakes of 2nd/3/4th cores.

Interactive PMC Version:

This version is 90% similar to PMC Battery setup except this version is much faster since it acts like INTERACTIVE Governor.

@ Those who don't have PMC Governor in their kernel until / if their kernel dev includes it use *Smartmax governor* for tunning and using my setup

Important ! : While setting your CPU/GPU values don't enable *Set on boot* unless the values are 100% safe for you and by ALL MEANS DO NOT USE MY CPU/GPU VALUES even if you're VARIANT 3 i wouldn't advise it , if you DO USE my values you will 99.9% end up in freeze or reboot !

GPU UV For max battery

2d GPU Underclocking: 304 304 304 304 267 267 267 200

3d GPU Underclocking: 247 247 247 247 247 200 200 200

As for GPU uV i'd suggest -50mv if you're not variant 3. Try first -25 then -50.

NOTE:
    Don't even think about gaming with this setup , you'll notice laggs mainly at loading apps and speed of loading apps and mainly speed reduction overall in system , but not so much , the main slowdown is with loading apps and when multitasking you'll see some laggs as well, or for e.g. when playing music and then using volume up/down , that will lagg as well, if you wanna keep it *smoother* you can set *Ideal freq to 475000*

Performance may cry - setup v8a( XM Kernel 302# + ONLY or Kernels with latest Maxwens updates)

A This settings of PMC Governor should / will deliver you the performance 90% identical to Interactive governor with much much less battery drain ! , this settings can be / should be used for those who MULTITASK alot , this settings/governor should give you 95% lag free experience whatever you do except gaming ! [/I][/B]

PMC v8 INTERACTIVE SETUP for EVERYONE ( Xm kernel users don't need this since PMC governor is in the kernel by default with these values ):

• awake_ideal_freq 475
      • boost_duration 0
      • boost_freq 760000
      • debug_mask 0
      • down_rate 60000
      • ignore_nice 1
      • input_boost_duration 90000
      • io_is_busy 1
      • max_cpu_load 75
      • min_cpu_load 40
      • ramp_down_step 200000
      • ramp_up_during_boost 1
      • ramp_up_step 300000
      • sampling_rate 20000
      • suspend_ideal_freq 340
      • Touch_poke_freq 620000 ( 640 if your kernel kept the old freq table )
      • up_rate 20000

• Cpu freqs:
    • Min CPu freq : 51
      [*]Max Cpu freq: 1100

[*]Scheduler: RoW

• Multicore power saving : 2
    • GPU max frequency : 416
    • Undervolting: At your choice and how much your variant can support:

Suggested SAFE values for all 3 variants NO GAMING for gaming use +25 more then my values under, example : if variant 1 is -100 NON GAMING , for gaming use -75.

This goes for both INTERACTIVE and BATTERY PMC setups.​

• variant 0 : -75
      [*]variant 1/2: - 100 ( use -75 if you experience reboot )
      [*]variant 3: - 150 / -175 in my case.

PMC BATTERY SETUP v8 For everyone with TUNNABLE Smartmax/PMC governors:

• awake_ideal_freq 204000
    • boost_duration 0
    • boost_freq 760000
    • debug_mask 0
    • down_rate 60000
    • ignore_nice 1
    • input_boost_duration 90000
    • io_is_busy 1
    • max_cpu_load 90
    • min_cpu_load 50
    • ramp_down_step 200000
    • ramp_up_during_boost 1
    • ramp_up_step 300000
    • sampling_rate 40000
    • suspend_ideal_freq 204000
    • Touch_poke_freq 620000 ( 640 if your kernel kept the old freq table )
    • up_rate 20000

• Cpu freqs:
    • Min CPu freq : 51
      [*]Max Cpu freq: 1000

[*]Scheduler: SiO

• Multicore power saving : 2
    • GPU max frequency : 416
    • Undervolting SAME AS on interactive ( look above )

And heres what users reported with PMC V7 performance setup =)

XM 188v2 with your PMC v7 performance version gave me the best results ever. period. thank you :highfive:

now v241 on Viper 3.4.0 with row and pmc gov, UC at 1200 and the rest like Shan89 sayed in previus page ... Unthinkable how much improves in performance and batt life <3 Xmister and Shan89

U r superb dude! U are gifted! Damn u r sooo good in this....(^~^)/

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

im using the the new kernel with viperx 3.4.0 and all pmc settings, phone is amazing FB app is working i didnt see any problem till now this is the best kernel i tried till now from all the passed weak!

All thanks go to Xmister and Shan89 :D

------------------------- ---------------------------

===============================================================================================

How to use FULL PMC setup.

Simple:
    1st: thing to do enable 2d GPU rendering in developers options.
    2nd: lower your CPU max freq to 1000mhz ! Yes 1000 mhz ( you wont feel much of a difference in terms of fluidity except when loading apps )
    3rd: Use RoW or Sio scheduler ( for more info about these schedulers look at my signature guide theres explanation of every scheduler we use )
    4th: Undervolt your CPU - here are the SAFE FREQS for these variants v0 - 50 , v1/2 , -75 , v3 - 100/125 (this are safe you could do more on some freqs)
    5th: This is for those who don't play GAMES Underclock the GPU freqs here are the freqs you should use:
    2d UC = 304 304 304 304 267 267 200 200
    3d UC = 267 267 267 267 200 200 200 200
    6th: Those who game you SHOULDN"T play with GPU UC only CPU UC.

Important: Make sure you use Trickster MoD app from playstore when using XM kernel for tuning and another vital thing to do is set in trickster app Multicore Power saving to 2 This will try to use as long as it can 1/2 cores unless desperate need for 4 cores.

A tip how to speed up loading times of the apps:

Since we have boost at 500 mhz if you open some app , lets say for example *Trickster MoD* after clicking on it you can hold your finger on the screen and move it in any direction , that way your CPU wont be locked onto 51 MHZ freq it will be on either 620 / 640 mhz ( boost freq ) or at MAX freq you set for CPU ( 700 if you use full PMC setup )

Final words:

PMC will try to force your phone spend 90% of the time in LP (low power) cores which barely use any power , if you do use PMC full setup the only real battery drain you'll have is your SCREEN and when in desperate need for some boost it will use your highest CPU freq you set.

Note:

Don't complain about bad speed etc etc etc , this governor is made only and only for BATTERY LIFE with basic usage.
    And of course if this governor is *too laggy/slow* you can always use original *Smartmax governor*

NEW - SetCPU profiles setup balance v2 = SENSE =:

SENSE SetCPU profiles v2

This profiles fixed every little issue that exited in 1st release , just make sure to re-read the guide , some things has changed.

Anyway to make some kind of *changelog* if i can even call it like that this is what has got fixed / added:

• Gaming works perfect now
    • Added profile for 2d games
    • Added profile for safety ( over heating to prevent it 2 steps )
    • Added more apps into profiles
    • Changed freqs on some things for better performance/battery life
    • Some other stuff i can't remember right now lol

Q) What does this do ?
    A) Makes your phone smarter , boosts it when needed and downscales CPU freqs when not needed , It changes Governor / scheduler / CPU Freqs / .

Improves Loading times alot vs old PMC setups. The default loading times speed varies between 1100 mhz and 1300 mhz now.

Example:

Sense launcher: is set to use 640 MAX Cpu freq with smartmax governor + SiO scheduler.
    Messaging: email / sms / gmail / etc = It will switch governor to PMC v7 ( Interactive version ) Boost max CPU freq to 840 and use Deadline scheduler so it makes sure it's liquid smooth and rotation works perfect.
    Gaming: When you hit some , in my case NFSMW , MC4 , RR3 it will change to interactive governor + Row Scheduler and use MAX Cpu FREQ 1300mhz.

HOW TO SETUP ( Important ! )

1st: download SetCPU ( google it if you can't buy it you should be able to find it for free)

2nd Set max CPU Freq to 1300 and min freq to 51

3rd: Go to trickster and do the following:

Trickster settings:

PMC Governor = Leave as it IS
    Scheduler = SiO
    Multicore power saving = 0
    Gpu Max freq = 520

Smartmax Governor settings = Change the settings to PMC V7 BATTERY Settings ( This is important thing to do if you want the profiles to work )

Undervolting - UPDATED:

Variant 1/2 = freqs 51/1250 undervolt - 100 ( if is unstable for you use -75 ) Freqs 1300-1500 Undervolt - 50 ( if is unstable use -25 )

Variant 0 should use 25mv more compared to v1/2 and variant 3 can do additional -50 on freqs 51/1250 and 1300/1500 freqs -25 compared to variants 1/2.

And last thing to do is *Set on boot / enable* - Do this only if UNDERVOLTING doesn't cause any reboots for you , it shouldn't anyway.

4th: copy my SetCPU Profiles to your SDcard and open SetCPU App , load the profiles and Apply them , make sure to tick * Enable Profiles * Also on the *MAIN* settings for CPU / Governor / Scheduler tick *Set on boot* and finally @ *Governor* also tick *Set on boot & Set With profiles*

5th: Download greenify app from playstore:

Set greenify app at your likings but make sure you don't put Trickster and SetCPU Apps in there.

6th: Downlaod LagFix (Fxstreem) App from playstore as well. Use this app once a day or whenever you like it.

Note: This will work ONLY With XM kernel unless another kernel dev includes PMC Governor in their kernel.

Tips:

• [*]New - for MAX Speed when not using apps listed in profiles set in trickster & SetCPU Max Freq 1300 ( For absolute max performance 1500 ) min 51 INTERACTIVE governor and DEADLINE Scheduler. What will this do: Well simply it'll use max freq 1300 / 1500 depends on your choice whenever you're using something that is not listed in the profiles E.G. when you hit *Settings* it'll use interactive + deadline , same goes for other things that are not listed in the profiles.

[*]If you do full reboot make sure to open SetCPU app so profiles start working after the reboot.

[*]For 2d games *temple run* Etc just add them into *2d gaming profile*

[*]Tip for heavy 3d games sucha are Mc4 NFSMW , RR3 etc etc , i've set on 1300 max CPU freq so we avoid heat etc , note that those games are on MAX DETAILS for me and i don't have laggs so you guys who use those games without those details you should be fine in fact you can change max freq from the profile onto 1200 if you like. If you play some other 3d heavy games just add them in *Gaming* profile.

[*]A Tip for gaming with low details: Change the max freq from my profiles to 1100/1000 , i played NFSMW on max details with some FPS Drops on 1000mhz freq.

[*]@Those who use more social apps then facebook , simply add those apps in my profile where is facebook. If you use another messaging apps simply add them to my messages profile. Do the same to the other apps that you use which are similar to the apps in my profiles.

@Those who don't game at all and want maximum battery life they can get , also this would be useful for those who game as well , just apply those 2 things after you done with gaming:

Go to trickster app and do the following:

Max Gpu speed = 416
    Multicore power saving = 2

If you want even more battery life visit my signature theres everything else you need to know on the post 2.

IMPORTANT: I've set on every profile *Notification* just so you guys can see it does it work , for those who want to remove it simply do this:
    SetCpu > Profiles > click on the profile > Next > Untick *Show a notification* and that's it , do the same for other profiles.

If by any chance you don't see notifications after first time applying my profiles make sure you enable *Set on boot * where ever i wrote above and reboot your phone. That should fix it.

If anyone experience any issues ETC please lemme know.

AOSP/AOKP/CM SetCPU profiles + PMC v7 Setup - NEEDS UPDATE DON"T USE THEM - Will add them in few days when i switch to AOSP.:​

DOWNLOAD THE AOSP PROFILES HERE​

• Download these tools 1st:
    • SetCPU app
    • Trickster app
    • Greenify app

Trickster settings:

Choose smartmax governor and apply these values in governor control:

Boost_freq: 620
    Ideal_freq: 340
    max_cpu_load: 90
    min_cpu_load: 50
    touch_poke_freq 620

Apply the values

Scheduler:

Cpu settings:

Max freq 1000
    Min freq 51

After that change to PMC Governor and apply.

Next thing to do swipe to specific settings

Smartdimmer: ON
    Multicore power saving 2
    GPU Max freq: 416
    Undervolt how much you can.

APPLY all these and SET ON BOOT

Next thing to do open SET-CPU app make sure it's showing same CPU freqs as on trickster and same governor and scheduler.

Set on boot

Go to PROFILES and load my AOSP profiles after that tick Enable profiles

Important:

This profiles will work ONLY on AOSP rom and ONLY on XMkernel since other kernels don't have PMC interactive governor.

After applying the proffiles go to LAUNCHER and if you don't USE NOVA remove NOVA from that profile and ADD your launcher that you use.

TIPS / IMPORTANT:

• [*]After you apply the PROFILES and you don't use INVERTED BLACK FACEBOOK APP delete that from profile and add the facebook app you use.
    • As for your own apps just go to profiles and add those apps into profile you like.

Lastly Thx to Xmister for the great kernel and his devhost link for uploading the profiles.

Heres the screenshoots from ICJ 2.8.1 with PMC v7 battery/interactive SetCPU Profiles:

---------- -------- -------

==================================================================================================
    Note:
    You shouldn't really relay and trust benchmarks at least not in antutu and quadrant , the most reliable and most accurate benchmark we have is Epic citadel , almost every single time same results. and 52.6 is quiet high result for sense rom. Btw for those who care s3 scores average 44-45fps on epic and note 2 scores average 46-47fprs.

]]=====>>> Wakelocks guide thx to Goku80 <=====[[
    This is for those who have bad battery life !
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38629490#post38629490
    Guys who follow this guide and use it , Please leave us the feedback about your battery life and rom you used. It's gonna be easier for us to locate the best battery life RoM, Thx in advance ! Also rating the thread would be nice :)

And those who USE this guide but apparently *doesn't help them* please post a replay with what you did and what happened, your battery/undervolting , whatever that came out from this guide, theres a chance you didn't do something RIGHT so we can try and help out. THX !

ADDITIONAL INFO - UPDATE:

I tought it would be nice to add some info about schedulers , and governors so ppl better understand what they are and what they do

Update: added governor info.

Update: added info about MpDecision and Cpu Quiet per request..
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Governors:

- OnDemand Governor:
    This governor has a hair trigger for boosting clockspeed to the maximum speed set by the user. If the CPU load placed by the user abates, the OnDemand governor will slowly step back down through the kernel's frequency steppings until it settles at the lowest possible frequency, or the user executes another task to demand a ramp.

OnDemand has excellent interface fluidity because of its high-frequency bias, but it can also have a relatively negative effect on battery life versus other governors. OnDemand is commonly chosen by smartphone manufacturers because it is well-tested, reliable, and virtually guarantees the smoothest possible performance for the phone. This is so because users are vastly more likely to ***** about performance than they are the few hours of extra battery life another governor could have granted them.

This final fact is important to know before you read about the Interactive governor: OnDemand scales its clockspeed in a work queue context. In other words, once the task that triggered the clockspeed ramp is finished, OnDemand will attempt to move the clockspeed back to minimum. If the user executes another task that triggers OnDemand's ramp, the clockspeed will bounce from minimum to maximum. This can happen especially frequently if the user is multi-tasking. This, too, has negative implications for battery life.

- Performance Governor:
    This locks the phone's CPU at maximum frequency. While this may sound like an ugly idea, there is growing evidence to suggest that running a phone at its maximum frequency at all times will allow a faster race-to-idle. Race-to-idle is the process by which a phone completes a given task, such as syncing email, and returns the CPU to the extremely efficient low-power state. This still requires extensive testing, and a kernel that properly implements a given CPU's C-states (low power states).

- Interactive Governor:
    Much like the OnDemand governor, the Interactive governor dynamically scales CPU clockspeed in response to the workload placed on the CPU by the user. This is where the similarities end. Interactive is significantly more responsive than OnDemand, because it's faster at scaling to maximum frequency.

Unlike OnDemand, which you'll recall scales clockspeed in the context of a work queue, Interactive scales the clockspeed over the course of a timer set arbitrarily by the kernel developer. In other words, if an application demands a ramp to maximum clockspeed (by placing 100% load on the CPU), a user can execute another task before the governor starts reducing CPU frequency. This can eliminate the frequency bouncing discussed in the OnDemand section. Because of this timer, Interactive is also better prepared to utilize intermediate clockspeeds that fall between the minimum and maximum CPU frequencies. This is another pro-battery life benefit of Interactive.

However, because Interactive is permitted to spend more time at maximum frequency than OnDemand (for device performance reasons), the battery-saving benefits discussed above are effectively negated. Long story short, Interactive offers better performance than OnDemand (some say the best performance of any governor) and negligibly different battery life.

Interactive also makes the assumption that a user turning the screen on will shortly be followed by the user interacting with some application on their device. Because of this, screen on triggers a ramp to maximum clockspeed, followed by the timer behavior described above.

- Suggestion : Use this governor (Interactive) for GAMING , it's the best when using Xm kernel for this purposes +deadline or Row scheduler.

- Smartmax
    Long story short if you want crazy battery life USE this governor with either noop/sio/row governor, depending on what you want , read about schedulers under and chose what fits your needs.

- PMC ( Performance may cry )
    ok so i made this governor based on Smartmax except it's heavily tweeked for better and maximum battery life you can get out of HOX.

- TouchDemand:
    This governor pretty much do what the name says, boosts cpu freqs by touches, this one actually can be pretty great for battery life if you underclock the CPU imho and use max 2 cores, you can do that by doing this: edit touch_min_cores under governor tuneables and set 2
    Anyway i still prefer *SmartMax* for battery life. But up to you to test and find out.

As for other governors like : Conservative and powersave , i wont be adding info about them since i doubt anyone ever uses them , all they do is take more space in the list :p
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Schedulers:

- Noop:
    This scheduler assumes I/O performance optimization will be handled at some other layer of the I/O hierarchy , on the more simple way this scheduler is MOSTLY used for battery life since it's slow - it raises freqs slower then other schedulers.

- Deadline::
    This scheduler attempt to guarantee a start service time for a request It does that by imposing a deadline on all I/O operations to prevent starvation of requests. It also maintains two deadline queues, in addition to the sorted queues (both read and write). Deadline queues are basically sorted by their deadline (the expiration time), while the sorted queues are sorted by the sector number. To make it more simple this scheduler raises freqs much faster then noop and keeps them longer active then noop which means more battery drain ( not by much anyway ) and faster I/O as well the gaming should be the best with this scheduler.

- SIO:: - ( my favorite )
    This scheduler in simple words is basically this : It's a mix of noop and deadline schedulers , noop is more for battery while deadline is more for performance , and sio is perfect balance between them ^.^ to be more specific it's more like almost having noop+deadline activated at the same time.

- ROW::

ROW: stands for "READ Over WRITE* The ROW scheduler is in favor for user experience upon everything else (means it should make things stupidly smooth ),so that why ROW scheduler gives READ IO requests as much priority as possible. Usually it¡¯s a single thread or at most 2 simultaneous working threads for read & write. Favoring READ requests over WRITEs decreases the READ latency greatly. == Even more speed.
    The main idea of the ROW scheduler is // == If there are READ requests in pipe - it WILL dispatch them but don't starve the WRITE requests too much.

Also this scheduler is much better optimised for our phones since in the smart phones we use flash memory and not hard drives.
    Finally : Think of this scheduler as a mix OF deadline+ Performance governor put in scheduler while you can use another governor e.g. Smartmax. It's quiet fast scheduler and even good for daily usage without much of impact on the battery life.

Hope this prevents the question about schedulers / governors and which one to use :)

And a tip: Sio scheduler should be PERFECT with smartmax governor for battery life + speed , in fact it's the best scheduler if you guys want speedy performance while saving the battery life.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MPdecision:
    MORE INFO >

For us mpdecision is a cpu hotplug system, which replaced the default nvidia hotplug system. It was written by showp1984(Dennis Rassmann).
    It's more configurable, better for battery life, and much much better for gaming.

Cpu quiet:

- Cpu quiet driver regulates the cores by them acting more syncronized. they scale up n down in a more uniform fashion. therefore it gets better battery life without losing performance. You can't manage each core like with morrifics. so the cpu quiet driver is doing all the regulating. So the cpu quiet driver basically replaced hotplugging as far as cpu core management goes.
    - In simple words it should give better battery life.
    Well it's a start :)
    Thanks mate, I would love to see your setup profiles as well but no problem, that can wait till later.

Great going, looking forward to trying..

Sent from a tin of baked beans using some chewing gum, tinfoil, a piece of string and a manual written by MacGyver.

Lol , here it comes.

Cpu : i uđe max Cpu freq @ 1200 , od you want a bit more battery and a bit slower loading times @ apps use 1000

Governor settings :

Awake_ideal_freq 475
    Boost_freq 760
    Down_rate 60000
    Max_cpu_load 90
    Min_Cpu_load 55
    Sampling_rate 30000
    Touch_poke_freq 640
    Up_rate 30000

Scheduler : row

Gpu max speed 416

Multicore power saving 0 ( if you want a bit more battery set to 2 )

I think that's it.

Hey guys here the download link for new setCPU profiles

http://d-h.st/J9j

As for governor settings use these.

Cpu min freq 51 max 1200; if you want a bit more battery life use max 1000.
    Governor PMC , scheduler RoW ( set it like this on both trickster & setCPU and don't tick "set on boot in setCPU" I think it gets in conflick with tricster , use set on boot only in trickster as for profiles just load them from sdcard when you download them and enable them , if after the reboot they aren't working just enable/disable them , they should work )

PMC governor settings

Governor settings :

Awake_ideal_freq 475
    Boost_freq 760
    Down_rate 60000
    Max_cpu_load 90
    Min_Cpu_load 55
    Sampling_rate 30000
    Touch_poke_freq 640
    Up_rate 30000

Smartmax governor settings.

Governor settings :

Awake_ideal_freq 340
    Boost_freq 760
    Down_rate 80000
    Max_cpu_load 80
    Min_Cpu_load 45
    Sampling_rate 40000
    Suspend_ideal_freq 340
    Touch_poke_freq 640
    Up_rate 40000

Note:

if you use this PMC battery set-up it'll lag without setCPU but it is the most battery saving governor settings we have & don't complain about the speed , the purpose of this settings is only and only battery saving.

Gpu max speed 416

Suggestion and what I use:

I only use PMC governor with these PMC settings above setCPU is disabled for me. The screen time of 4/5 hours in overall 20+ hrs @ battery is good enogh for me with variable brightness 30/50/70/100% and normal usage.

Btw I'm not saying its better just saying I'm lazy to mess with this lol.

Gpu max speed 416 if you want a bit more speed and when gaming set it back to 520

Anyway if there are any issues please let me know.

As for AOSP ill fix/make those a bit latter.