Clamshell Keyboard

Search This thread

vansmack

Jul 16, 2009
San Francisco
One other thing I noticed - when I am streaming Google Music and typing with the keyboard, it makes clicking sounds over the music and can sometimes speed up and slow down the music. Has anyone else noticed this?

It's happening right now as I type this. Super problematic....

brie987

I am very sad because I think this maybe the only Clamshell Keyboard for the Nexus 10 and there is just too many issues with this. And I'm afraid my letters are also rubbing off. J, K, L, are now more than half the shade of the other keys. :(

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
I am very sad because I think this maybe the only Clamshell Keyboard for the Nexus 10 and there is just too many issues with this. And I'm afraid my letters are also rubbing off. J, K, L, are now more than half the shade of the other keys. :(

Well, I guess that confirms it. Even as dirt cheap as this is, I won't be buying it if the keys wear off that quickly.

rrand

Oct 29, 2011

I wonder if there's anything we can put on the keys to seal them before they get worse.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

I think this is just the keyboard I have this happening on my keyboard but not as bad as with my Logitech bluetooth keyboard made for my Galaxy Tab 10.1 which happens a lot and lasts longer than just a couple letters. This is how my Logitech keyboard would acttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt (yes that many sometimes longer but I would press the space key or back key to stop it) So I think it is the keyboard not software or you. Im thinking that maybe adding a small amount of mineral oil with a Qtip might help but do this at your own risk. I have not had issues enough to try this. Yet.

Brie, I didn't see your response before. Are you still noticing it? What is the purpose of the mineral oil, and where were you thinking about applying it?

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
I wonder if there's anything we can put on the keys to seal them before they get worse.

I would suggest everybody who is experiencing the keys wearing off needs to take photos and email them to the seller, and see if they're going to do anything to resolve the problem. If they don't get a response making clear that the manufacturing process will be changed to fix the issue, post the pictures on Amazon, along with a negative review.

Our only hope of having a halfway decent keyboard is if the manufacturer fixes this. They've put a significant investment into tooling for the hardware; changing the screen printing process is likely minor and in their best interest to fix the problem. Hopefully they'll do the right thing!

Reactions: brie987

rrand

Oct 29, 2011
One other thing I noticed - when I am streaming Google Music and typing with the keyboard, it makes clicking sounds over the music and can sometimes speed up and slow down the music. Has anyone else noticed this?

It's happening right now as I type this. Super problematic....

Vansmack,

I don't stream Google music so I can't tell you if mine is affected, but I did read one review that seems to be.

http://www.amazon.com/VSTN®-Aluminum-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Cover/dp/B00BP4QGTY/

The three-star review from April 14th.

brie987

I would suggest everybody who is experiencing the keys wearing off needs to take photos and email them to the seller, and see if they're going to do anything to resolve the problem. If they don't get a response making clear that the manufacturing process will be changed to fix the issue, post the pictures on Amazon, along with a negative review.

Our only hope of having a halfway decent keyboard is if the manufacturer fixes this. They've put a significant investment into tooling for the hardware; changing the screen printing process is likely minor and in their best interest to fix the problem. Hopefully they'll do the right thing!

I will do this today and keep you posted. Great idea.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

Brie, I didn't see your response before. Are you still noticing it? What is the purpose of the mineral oil, and where were you thinking about applying it?

I'm thinking that the mineral oil will help lubricate the plastic moving parts BUT I have not tried this...yet....as I have not having this issue too much. Very little about.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Also Amazon sells keyboard letter stickers, I'm think of this as an option. I have looked at some of the photos and think that I may have to trim them to fit these smaller keys.

Reactions: Izeltokatl

devilson-13

Jan 9, 2013
my keyboard just arrived today. it seems ok, no space between the edges. the tablet does not slip away if I tilt the keyboard.
all the keys are working and I have to get used to it.

Attachments

• 20130423_175017.jpg
    20130423_175017.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 490
  • 20130423_175217.jpg
    20130423_175217.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 451

benjhi

Nov 13, 2011
I don't know if that would make a difference. I ordered mine a couple days ago and Amazon estimates three to six weeks for delivery. I will let you know if I get it sooner.

I got one of these off eBay about a month back. I too liked the design of it.

when it arrived, it felt solid, build quality and key depression felt high quality, however it has major flaws, ending in me sending the damn thing back.

firstly, half the keys didn't work, I don't know if that is down to poor bluetooth or just poor quality keys, but obviously this is a killer - the manufacturer has assured me that this is the first time this has ever come up, and at first, I was willing to try a like for like replacement, until I arrived at the second flaw:

the "dock" groove is so shallow it can't physically support the weight of the tablet. it will just about rest in the groove, but it feels like the edge of the bezel is being ripped off, and the slightest nudge means the nexus falls out of the back of it.

I am desperate for a clamshell keyboard (for portability - having to carry a seperate keyboard is a small, but constant, annoyance.) and on the face this looks perfect. I wouldn't buy another though.

rrand

Oct 29, 2011
Discontinued.

I had several issues, even after getting a replacement. But when I went back the second time I was told the product has been discontinued. Just thought you all would like to know.

liranbarel

Jun 20, 2011
"Aluminum" - really?

Hi,

It does seem that there is one Chinese manufacturer of this keyboard, yet in the descriptions of the several distributors there are differences - some mention that it is plastic with aluminum finish, yet others claim the keyboard to actually be made of aluminum.

I wonder if folks here that have the keyboard can attest to the type of material.

Many thanks!

brie987

Hi,

It does seem that there is one Chinese manufacturer of this keyboard, yet in the descriptions of the several distributors there are differences - some mention that it is plastic with aluminum finish, yet others claim the keyboard to actually be made of aluminum.

I wonder if folks here that have the keyboard can attest to the type of material.

Many thanks!

I have this and mine is definitely aluminium.

Reactions: liranbarel

vansmack

Jul 16, 2009
San Francisco
Discontinued.

I had several issues, even after getting a replacement. But when I went back the second time I was told the product has been discontinued. Just thought you all would like to know.

I'm not terribly surprised.

Almost 3 months later and I'm not certain it will survive the summer.

Nearly all my keys have rubbed off - I'll have to purchase stickers to keep using it.

And my enter key won't stay in it's socket, having constantly needing to be jammed back into place.

The battery still lasts a while and the case is still snug to the tablet, but the key thing is unacceptable.

You get what you pay for, I suppose. Then again, we are extremely limited with our choices and I still prefer it to my original separate bluetooth keyboard solution I was originally going with.

rrand

Oct 29, 2011
I'm not terribly surprised.

Almost 3 months later and I'm not certain it will survive the summer.

Nearly all my keys have rubbed off - I'll have to purchase stickers to keep using it.

And my enter key won't stay in it's socket, having constantly needing to be jammed back into place.

The battery still lasts a while and the case is still snug to the tablet, but the key thing is unacceptable.

You get what you pay for, I suppose. Then again, we are extremely limited with our choices and I still prefer it to my original separate bluetooth keyboard solution I was originally going with.

Yeah, my keys are all rubbed off too. I still have the issue with the letters doubling up. Like "thiss andd tthis." It's very frustrating to have to keep an eye out for it and backspace all the time. This keyboard is pretty much useless for me now except as a protective cover. I'm currently in the market for a better keyboard or keyboard/case solution.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

h3ck

Oct 7, 2007
Otizzle
Yeah, my keys are all rubbed off too. I still have the issue with the letters doubling up. Like "thiss andd tthis." It's very frustrating to have to keep an eye out for it and backspace all the time. This keyboard is pretty much useless for me now except as a protective cover. I'm currently in the market for a better keyboard or keyboard/case solution.

It seems you can get a universal Kennsington Keyfolio Pro 2 case from Amazon Warehouse deals for only $36 for those interested. Prob better than the $30 on this generic aluminum one. I do like the look of the aluminum case way more than the others though. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00604YU4C)

How often do you use it? Trying to determine if relative low use would make it last longer.

rrand

Oct 29, 2011
It seems you can get a universal Kennsington Keyfolio Pro 2 case from Amazon Warehouse deals for only $36 for those interested. Prob better than the $30 on this generic aluminum one. I do like the look of the aluminum case way more than the others though. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00604YU4C)

How often do you use it? Trying to determine if relative low use would make it last longer.

$36 used? I went to the link and the product is $48.55. Free shipping, though, so still good. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who tried it.

As to your question, I don't use my keyboard very much. Probably would use it more if I didn't have so much trouble with it.

h3ck

Oct 7, 2007
Otizzle
$36 used? I went to the link and the product is $48.55. Free shipping, though, so still good. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who tried it.

As to your question, I don't use my keyboard very much. Probably would use it more if I didn't have so much trouble with it.

Yeah under used it's cheaper, comes from Amazon Warehouse Deals > http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00604YU4C/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Right now I'm debating between this one and Poetic removable keyboard case. Also, looking into a couple keyboards with touchpads in them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, guess what arrived today?

IMG_20130406_211621

It came partially charged so I got to use it for about 30 minutes - just long enough to give you a brief rundown. I will be taking it to a conference tomorrow and will give a larger report after a full days use.

As you can see, it's not quite as thick as the tablet itself and it's actually lighter than I thought it would be (sorry, I don't have a scale). It's definitely lighter than the tablet, but slightly heavier than the Moko case:

IMG_20130406_211806

When they're combined, it's about a 50-75% increase in the thickness. Definitely not double the size because the tablet rests partially inside the case:

IMG_20130406_212611

When closed (and if you put it on the right way), all of the ports remain uncovered, however, the case does look like it might make the POGO plug difficult to use (sorry, I don't have one to test). It is possible to put it on upside down and cover the ports:

IMG_20130406_212920

The keys themselves are chiclets and very responsive, however they are quite small (That's a US dime on the left and a 5 pence piece on the right):

IMG_20130406_212316

I've sent about 3-4 multiple paragraph emails with it and it didn't miss a single key, but I did mis-hit a few keys as I haven't adjusted to the size. In addition there is a dedicated Home button, search button, playback and volume controls and what looks like cut/copy/paste but I haven't gotten them to work yet.

If you're a left thumb space bar person, I don't think the raised lip will be a problem as the space bar is off set to the left. If you're a right thumb space bar person, that lip might get in the way:

IMG_20130406_213207

The brushed aluminum varietal was not my first choice, but all they had in when I ordered it. The back is actually a dark gun metal gray and looks rather nice so I think I will be keeping it:

IMG_20130406_212623

The case itself holds the tablet rather firmly when typing. I'm not at all concerned about it tipping over or back, nor am I concerned with the tablet in landscape mode of it slipping out. HOWEVER, given the speakers on the front makes the sides much thinner and rounded, it will not hold the tablet firmly in portrait mode at all. The tablet does not shake/wiggle when typing on a firm surface, but there is a little residual wiggle/shake when using the touchscreen:

IMG_20130406_212528

I haven't had it long enough to test battery life, but it claims 55 hours. The charging port is microUSB. It also has a sleep mode if the keyboard isn't used for 15 mins. It comes with a white MicroUSB Charging cable, because none of us have enough of those.

Thus far I'm pleased. I've been using the Moko Case and carrying a stand alone Microsoft Keyboard with much bigger keys, but it's a much larger load. Given how thin and light this is, if it performs tomorrow, I think I'll be keeping it, especially for the price. This pic here is of the Moko case (for those that have one). Keep in mind that there is no tablet in the Moko case in the photo, so it's really a little larger than depicted, so essentially not that much bigger than the clamshell:

IMG_20130406_212803

And lastly, the Nexus logo now stands out whenever you use the case:

IMG_20130406_212635

It's in there firm when closed - I actually had a hard time getting it out the first couple times. There is a little side-to-side movement in the case though. Not sure what effect that might have over time,

Alright, I'm happy to answer any specific questions that you might have, but keep in mind that I haven't even spent a day with it yet, so my answers may be limited for now. In addition, I won't be available much of tomorrow as I'll be giving it a hearty trial run at a conference, but hey, if it's a boring conference, I may check back in.
    I just hook up a Bluetooth keyboard and put the tablet on a stand.

From a business standpoint, it's a waste of good R&D money to try to develop an integrated keyboard solution for a tablet. Nexus devices always have vestigial ports and plugs, and this is just due to Google's lazy practice of axing a particular feature over cost concerns, and then they just ask the hardware manufacturer to leave the remnants of it in rather than spend more money revising the design.

People that really need keyboards and mice will already have a preferred Bluetooth or OTG USB solution, meanwhile the OS itself doesn't require nor is it designed around those input devices. Personally I find it annoying and slow to use the OS with a mouse and keyboard, and only use the keyboard if I have a table nearby and need to type for extended periods of time. If such an occasion wasn't so rare, I probably would have bought an actual laptop or Chromebook instead.

Microsoft makes a point of marketing the Surface as more of a business device, but the RT still fell flat in that regard (wtf no Active Directory integration?), and the Pro is obscenely expensive for a device that doesn't offer any additional business features that can't be accomplished by a cheaper Windows 8 laptop. Keyboards and mice on tablets are niche features, and most people balked at the fact that a touch cover for the Surface RT costs an extra $100, which was also a pretty terrible keyboard overall. Google wasn't ready to make the same mistake, because historically Samsung charges obscene amounts of money for their accessories as well.

If given the choice between a $30 Motorola Bluetooth keyboard that requires its own batteries, or a $70-$100 Samsung keyboard that hooks into the pogo pins, I'd prefer the $30 option. I use my tablet like a tablet, and use a desktop or laptop when I need to do actual work. Trying to shoehorn my tablet into being a laptop replacement often ends in failure and disappointment, so I just accepted its limitations and moved on.
    I'm thinking that the mineral oil will help lubricate the plastic moving parts BUT I have not tried this...yet....as I have not having this issue too much. Very little about.

Do not use mineral oil on the plastic, it may (severely) damage it. The lubricant of choice for standard plastics is usually silicone oil.
    Mine arrived today. I received the black unit. Exact same packaging as the silver unit.
    The slot to hold the tablet is very shallow so the tablet falls out easily. I can't tilt it back any where near 45 deg. The only reason the table stays in at all is that it catches on the edge of the plastic around the screen.

I was really just starting to fall in love with mine and just last night decided to keep it. Just a reminder - these things lok identical, but I did get mine from Minisuit and is not Amazon. I don't think it makes any difference, but just wanted to point that out.

I can tip mine pretty far back without it falling out:

IMG_20130409_134013

And the case is definitely too wide on the sides by about 2mm, hence the side to side motion along the clips. But there is no room on mine between the clips (top to bottom) - it doesn't move at all up and down and holds my tablet in there firmly.