[REQUEST] N8000 Kernel Source

Search This thread

csec

Feb 19, 2013
You may use my GitHub repository, which has a branch "merge-to-ss-jb" that is just the vanilla Samsung kernel, backed by the complete Linux tree.

Also, if you're interested in a complete, up-to-date tree (and what I'm running on my own GNote) you may browse my "kernel-forward" branch.

Thanks.
I have two questions if you don't mind.
1. Merge-to-ss-jb is the latest source (MD1)? Is it a good to go for a kernel to be based upon?
2. Is it alright with you that I base my kernel on your own kernel?

I appreciate it if you can help me with some kernel stuff as I am new to this.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

kcrudup

Mar 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
"merge-to-ss-jb" is the latest source (MD1)?
Yeah, it's essentially the official Linux kernel source up to version 3.0.31, overlaid with a cleaned-up version of the 1st Samsung JB kernel release, then each subsequent Samsung Open-Source Release (latest is "#7") is overlaid on top of that. If you build the HEAD of that branch, you'll have a vanilla Samsung kernel as of XXMCD1.

Is it alright with you that I base my kernel on your own kernel?
Of course! The entire Linux kernel is built upon Public collaboration; we all share from each other. My kernel has a few selected bits here and there from diverse places like CyanogenMod, Francisco Franco, Xstacy, the upstream kernel, Qualcomm, NVidia ...

I used to post my built kernel up in the ROM threads I used to use on my GNote, but someone complained and I don't really feel like being bothered with my own thread (don't have time for the inevitable newbie SPAM) so until if/when I do go "public" with it, the "kernel-forward" branch on GitHub is the best place to get what I'm running now.

Reactions: csec

csec

Feb 19, 2013
Yeah, it's essentially the official Linux kernel source up to version 3.0.31, overlaid with a cleaned-up version of the 1st Samsung JB kernel release, then each subsequent Samsung Open-Source Release (latest is "#7") is overlaid on top of that. If you build the HEAD of that branch, you'll have a vanilla Samsung kernel as of XXMCD1.

Of course! The entire Linux kernel is built upon Public collaboration; we all share from each other. My kernel has a few selected bits here and there from diverse places like CyanogenMod, Francisco Franco, Xstacy, the upstream kernel, Qualcomm, NVidia ...

I used to post my built kernel up in the ROM threads I used to use on my GNote, but someone complained and I don't really feel like being bothered with my own thread (don't have time for the inevitable newbie SPAM) so until if/when I do go "public" with it, the "kernel-forward" branch on GitHub is the best place to get what I'm running now.

Great!
Thanks again.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD

esgie

Feb 17, 2013
Great!
Thanks again.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD

Heard that the published sources have different wi-fi drivers than preinstalled stock kernel.
This is the main reason of allshare cast not working with custom kernels (on the contrary, some s3 custom kernels DO SUPPORT allshare cast), even if status=official and flash counter=0.
Anyone can confirm?
Anyone has the proper ones or know which one (i.e. from a different samsung device) to use?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You may use my GitHub repository, which has a branch "merge-to-ss-jb" that is just the vanilla Samsung kernel, backed by the complete Linux tree.

Also, if you're interested in a complete, up-to-date tree (and what I'm running on my own GNote) you may browse my "kernel-forward" branch.
    "merge-to-ss-jb" is the latest source (MD1)?

Is it alright with you that I base my kernel on your own kernel?