[2.3+]NightLamp: Sleep better at night!

Search This thread

icechen1

May 3, 2012
NightLamp turns your phone into an intelligent night light and clock, allowing you to sleep with ease.

If you need a little bit of light before going to bed, this app is perfect for you! It will automatically fade to black after at a preset time. Woke up during the night? Simply tap the screen or activate one of the sensors to turn the light back on again.

If you need a brighter light to move around the house, just flip the phone over and the flashlight will turn on! Woohoo!

You can control the light using various sensors on the phone:

-Flip the phone over to activate the camera flashlight
-Shake the phone to toggle the screen
-The phone responds to the ambient light, turning on and off as needed
-Voice recognition to turn the light on/off using hotwords
Note: Voice recognition is very beta right now.

BTd16Nml.png
yPYEwODl.png

***Alpha software, may blow up.***
The Android API that involves camera and sensors is a pain to support on all devices, because there is no unified way to do something like turning on the flashlight. So it would have to be supported for each phone model, which takes some time, so be patient as I work the kinks out.

Please do not give negative reviews due to crashes, because this app still needs testing to support a lot of devices...
If you do use the app, please do shoot me an email about your experience with it if possible :)
Tested to work on Galaxy Nexus so far.

Play store link

Last edited:

icechen1

May 3, 2012
Some word on power consumption please....

Since it puts the screen at full brightness for a while, I highly recommend hooking the phone to a power source. If you have an AMOLED screen, the power drain from the app while the screen is dim would be small, but it would still drain the battery faster than if the phone is sleeping.

Zibri

Dec 10, 2010
as I tap on Start, it shows a grey clock on white background but I hear a continuous BEEP once every second almost. Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 latest stock firmware ITV
that's the sound the voice recognition beeps to tell you it's listening.
disabling the voice recognition, the sound goes away as well.
You should also enable the android power saving so to reduce cpu and network usage like it almost does in standby.
Nice little app.

Last edited:
Reactions: R0N1N

icechen1

May 3, 2012
as I tap on Start, it shows a grey clock on white background but I hear a continuous BEEP once every second almost. Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 latest stock firmware ITV
You should also enable the android power saving so to reduce cpu and network usage like it almost does in standby.
Nice little app.

Google borked the speech recognizer code in recent versions (since Android 4.1) with a forced beep sound, I tried to mute it but it doesn't seem to work uniformly across devices, so I will have to change the speech recognition engine in the future.

I will look into power saving, thanks for letting me know!

icechen1

May 3, 2012
Nice little app.

Added a new version where you can swipe the screen to adjust brightness of the front light. Additionally, speech recognition is no longer enabled by default due to bugs.

mmm.waffles

Feb 1, 2011
BC
Cool app. I ended up using it for reading so I don't have to turn a light on but if I fall asleep then it'll fade down and all is well.

Works well on an Asus TF101 running 4.2.2 (katkiss v224 based on eos4). I can confirm the continuous beep bug too with the volume to silent fix.

One thing that would be awesome down the road would be to have a continuous fade of the display brightness over the course of the time you set. For example say you set the fade for 10 minutes, three minutes in it'll have reduced to 70%. Don't know if it's doable but it's just an idea.

icechen1

May 3, 2012
Cool app. I ended up using it for reading so I don't have to turn a light on but if I fall asleep then it'll fade down and all is well.

Works well on an Asus TF101 running 4.2.2 (katkiss v224 based on eos4). I can confirm the continuous beep bug too with the volume to silent fix.

One thing that would be awesome down the road would be to have a continuous fade of the display brightness over the course of the time you set. For example say you set the fade for 10 minutes, three minutes in it'll have reduced to 70%. Don't know if it's doable but it's just an idea.

Sounds like a nice improvement, I'll look into it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NightLamp turns your phone into an intelligent night light and clock, allowing you to sleep with ease.

If you need a little bit of light before going to bed, this app is perfect for you! It will automatically fade to black after at a preset time. Woke up during the night? Simply tap the screen or activate one of the sensors to turn the light back on again.

If you need a brighter light to move around the house, just flip the phone over and the flashlight will turn on! Woohoo!

You can control the light using various sensors on the phone:

-Flip the phone over to activate the camera flashlight
    -Shake the phone to toggle the screen
    -The phone responds to the ambient light, turning on and off as needed
    -Voice recognition to turn the light on/off using hotwords
    Note: Voice recognition is very beta right now.

BTd16Nml.png
    yPYEwODl.png

***Alpha software, may blow up.***
    The Android API that involves camera and sensors is a pain to support on all devices, because there is no unified way to do something like turning on the flashlight. So it would have to be supported for each phone model, which takes some time, so be patient as I work the kinks out.

Please do not give negative reviews due to crashes, because this app still needs testing to support a lot of devices...
    If you do use the app, please do shoot me an email about your experience with it if possible :)
    Tested to work on Galaxy Nexus so far.

Play store link
    Nice little app.