[ROM][Factory Image] 4.3 - Rooted - BusyBox

Search This thread

lynnux

Jun 4, 2013
Interesting, no recovery is included so I suppose the "Disable Recovery Flash" is stopping something it shouldn't.
Thanks for the info.

Added a warning to the OP. There should be no need to flash the separate SuperSU zip.

It's giving me this choice every time I flash a .zip, it's not just when I flash 4.3. Flashing a zip that installs aosp browser, dark version of email, etc, always ends up there.

Thanks for making these zips! It makes it so easy to install 4.3

kyentabug

Nov 11, 2010
Awesome, installed via TWRP, worked perfectly no root issues w/odex version.

Google finally fixed bluetooth, no more skipping audio. :good:

duarian

Jul 19, 2012
Do I have the right kernel? Monday June 10th is the date on it? 3.4.39?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

halrulez

Nov 30, 2007
here is a question...... any way to get tablet ui on these?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

lvnatic

Dec 5, 2010
Iasi
In TiBu change the location of your backup directory->
menu/go to preferences/backup settings/backup folder location
its going to say /storage/emulated/0/TitaniumBackup
hit back arrow at bottom until it reads just /storage/emulated
select legacy/TitaniumBackup

Thank you!!!

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
Hi,

I have now: unlocked bootloader, root, odexed 4.2.2 and TWRP recovery.
Do you recommend me to flash odexed or deodexed version? I prefer not to wipe data and not to loose my root.

Another question: "insecure boot" is the same as "unlocked bootloader"?

PaintDrinkingPete

May 9, 2011
Hi,

I have now: unlocked bootloader, root, odexed 4.2.2 and TWRP recovery.
Do you recommend me to flash odexed or deodexed version? I prefer not to wipe data and not to loose my root.

I had the exact same setup as you (unlocked bootloader, root, odexed 4.2.2 and TWRP recovery), and I just dirty flashed the deodexed version -- after wiping cache and dalvik of course -- and everything worked fine...no lost root, no other issues as far as I could tell. Odex version should work fine as well, I don't think that matters, use personal preference.

One thing I will note is that upon first boot it took a few minutes for everything to "settle"...I suggest just letting the tablet sit for a good 5 minutes after booting the first time before passing the lock screen and trying to use.

Sorry I can't answer the second part of your question.

Reactions: Animor

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
Thank you!

- Why did you change from odexed to deodexed? Do you have anything specific that didn't work on the odexed version?

- Are you sure that moving from odexed to deodexed doesn't require wipe data? I mean, the application file structure changes, isn't it?

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Hi,

Insecure boot and unlocked bootloader do not refer to the same thing.

Insecure boot refers to the fact that a elevated permission root shell and root access is available by default for example for an insecure boot image when you start adb shell you will automatically see a root shell prompt of (You will also have acess to the ADB re-mount command which re-mounts the system r/w):

Code:
#

Where as on a secure boot image when you start adb shell you will automatically see a regular shell (And you will not have acess to the ADB re-mount command):

Code:
$

On a secure boot image you gain root access by rooting the device (Installing the su binary and some form of a Superuser app) and then you can obtain a root shell by either typing the following in either terminal or adb shell:

Code:
$ su

Which results in the familiar elevated privilege root shell:

Code:
#

An unlocked bootloader refers to the fact that you can modify any partition on the device without having to flash an officially signed firmware image. Let me know if you still have questions hopefully this clears things up for you :).

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
Thank you for the detailed answer!

1. I'm still not sure about odexed and deodexed. Is there something special for the N10 I loose unless I have deodexed? I understand that generally speaking, some themes require that.
2. In addition, is it safe to change from odexed to deodexed without wiping data?
3. And last: what is the difference between the 4.2.2 bootloader and the 4.3 bootloader? first post mentions it's not necessary to update, but I still wonder.

Thanks!

Last edited:

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Thank you for the detailed answer!

1. I'm still not sure about odexed and deodexed. Is there something special for the N10 I loose unless I have deodexed? I understand that generally speaking, some themes require that.
2. In addition, is it safe to change from odexed to deodexed without wiping data?
3. And last: what is the difference between the 4.2.2 bootloader and the 4.3 bootloader? first post mentions it's not necessary to update, but I still wonder.

Thanks!

To answer your questions:

1. Technically speaking for deodexed you loose the odex class optimizations that are part of Android but this is very minor performance loss is negated by the fact that most ROM's are zipaligned allowing you to have the best of both worlds when it comes to odex and deodex. And yes, you are correct most themes require you to be deodexed, this guide on Odex vs. Deodex is worth taking a look at for a detailed explanation on Odex vs. Deodex and zipalignment.
2. While you could dirty flash like PaintDrinkingPete, it's best to do a full wipe when installing a new ROM no matter how minor the changes are (It prevents headaches and problems that can arise latter sometimes).
3. As far as differences between the 4.2.2 bootloader and 4.3 bootloader the differences are very likely under the hood and in the assembly code that makes up the bootloader, likely minor differences from the 4.2.2 bootloader.

Reactions: griffinj and Animor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the factory image from Google made into a flashable zip with CWM or TWRP.
    Clear cache/dalvik cache but no need to clear your user data.
    Warning: CWM users have reported that the "Disable Recovery Flash" option is breaking root. Be advised to choose "No." I do not have CWM so I cannot confirm but there is no reason to disable the recovery flash because no recovery is included in the zips.

If flashing from CM10.1 or some other custom roms, you may need to clear the Clock app's data.

Downloads:

Android 4.3 odexed, rooted, BusyBox, and insecure boot:
    Mirror 1: http://tinyw.in/lnoM
    MD5: a54ae08a9c2cbedb58577a01cc05c65d

Deodexed version:
    Mirror 1: http://tinyw.in/EI3t
    MD5: 5172bd4b25c13076b7d8310dde4ac43b

New bootloader(should not be necessary):
    Mirror 1: http://tinyw.in/rspG
    Mirror 2: http://d-h.st/VYv
    MD5: 9324a66fbe97f7aabfcfa9a0059f3f1a
    Flash bootloader with: "fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-manta-mantamd03.img"

Changelog:

07/24/13: Initial version
    07/26/13: Updated zips with SuperSU 1.43 that fixes a CPU usage bug
    Hi,

Insecure boot and unlocked bootloader do not refer to the same thing.

Insecure boot refers to the fact that a elevated permission root shell and root access is available by default for example for an insecure boot image when you start adb shell you will automatically see a root shell prompt of (You will also have acess to the ADB re-mount command which re-mounts the system r/w):

Code:
    #

Where as on a secure boot image when you start adb shell you will automatically see a regular shell (And you will not have acess to the ADB re-mount command):

Code:
    $

On a secure boot image you gain root access by rooting the device (Installing the su binary and some form of a Superuser app) and then you can obtain a root shell by either typing the following in either terminal or adb shell:

Code:
    $ su

Which results in the familiar elevated privilege root shell:

Code:
    #

An unlocked bootloader refers to the fact that you can modify any partition on the device without having to flash an officially signed firmware image. Let me know if you still have questions hopefully this clears things up for you :).
    i stil cant restore titanium backups

In TiBu change the location of your backup directory->
    menu/go to preferences/backup settings/backup folder location
    its going to say /storage/emulated/0/TitaniumBackup
    hit back arrow at bottom until it reads just /storage/emulated
    select legacy/TitaniumBackup
    Deodexed version up.

I am now on Jaybobs Paranoid Android and want to flash. Should I wipe completely(or system and caches) then fastboot new bootloader prior to the new rom itself?

You should be able to install without any wipe. Some people like to clear the cache and dalvik cache but even that shouldn't be necessary.

If you get an app or two that force closes after boot then you will just need to clear that app's data in Settings->Apps
    I had the same. After some times it begins top lag. Wiped full a lot of times. For me it runs not so smooth as SaberMod. The lag came from termal throttling or from surfacelinger leak. Dont know.

@dalingrin

Missunderstand i something? 3.4.5{0?) is higher as 3.4.39. I thought it is .50 not .05 at the end of the kernel. When the 2nd is right, i was wrong.:eek:

The kernel version is not a decimal number. The latest stable kernel is 3.10 which is newer/greater than kernel 3.9.

Hi,
    thnx 4 ur effort, 4.3 seems better and snappier than 4.2.2 but I have an issue that every 2-3 hrs of use it becomes laggy and unresponsive till I shut down and restart it becomes perfect again this happened twice the 1st day after I flashed this ROM via twrp -and root is ok- ( dirty flash on buttered-manta AOKP )....is it a common bug or I should factory reset, what do u suggest?

It could potentially be the SuperSU bug with 4.3 that causes 100% CPU usage.
    The bug should be fixed now with the new SuperSU from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/342/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip

I am uploading new zips for the OP now.