Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 44,355 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 4 Chromecast issue

Tip us?

hatyrei
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Default Nexus 4 Chromecast issue

I got my Chromecast today, while watching some videos using my Nexus 4 Android 4.3 to Chromecast . I experienced lock up's, after the screen timeout. I can't get into the lock screen. So I have to reboot again..by long pressing the power button of my phone. The streamed content is still working while doing the reboot.

Quick84
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Exclamation N4 Blackout Issue

I'm having the same issue. I'm on a bone stock N4 running Android 4.3 from the factory image.

However, it is an interesting development that the Chromecast continues to run even when our device is off... I'm betting that soon we'll see a crack to running the full Chrome OS on the Chromecast.
Phone History:
1.) Google HTC T-Mobile G1 (2008)
2.) Google HTC Nexus One (2009)
3.) Google Samsung Nexus S (2010)
4.) Google Samsung Galaxy Nexus (2011)
5.) Google LG Nexus 4 (2012)
6.) Google LG Nexus 5 (2013)

Tablet History:
1.) Toshiba THRiVE 16GB (2011)
2.) Asus Transformer Prime 32GB (2012)
3.) Google Asus Nexus 7 (2012)
4.) Google Asus Nexus 7 (2013)

hatyrei
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick84 View Post
I'm having the same issue. I'm on a bone stock N4 running Android 4.3 from the factory image.

However, it is an interesting development that the Chromecast continues to run even when our device is off... I'm betting that soon we'll see a crack to running the full Chrome OS on the Chromecast.
Me...too, I'm on a stock 4.3 on my Nexus 4. I wish I could chromecast my photos and videos in my phone tooo...that would be cool . kinda suck on the lock-ups

Slowb00st
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatyrei View Post
I got my Chromecast today, while watching some videos using my Nexus 4 Android 4.3 to Chromecast . I experienced lock up's, after the screen timeout. I can't get into the lock screen. So I have to reboot again..by long pressing the power button of my phone. The streamed content is still working while doing the reboot.
Same thing here.
Captivate - Retired
Galaxy SIII - Sold
Nexus 4 - TWRP Android 4.3
Galaxy S5 Active - Stock
Chromecast

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 DEAD
Galaxy Note 10.1 2014

thrak410
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

Why is that an interesting developlment? That is how its designed... you arent 'sharing' content from your device to the chromecast. The CC is pulling the content directly from the network itself.

Quick84
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak410 View Post
Why is that an interesting developlment? That is how its designed... you arent 'sharing' content from your device to the chromecast. The CC is pulling the content directly from the network itself.
No where did they ever say that the Chromecast could run without another device once it started... So since it was never announced or talked about, that DOES make it an interesting development... !
Phone History:
1.) Google HTC T-Mobile G1 (2008)
2.) Google HTC Nexus One (2009)
3.) Google Samsung Nexus S (2010)
4.) Google Samsung Galaxy Nexus (2011)
5.) Google LG Nexus 4 (2012)
6.) Google LG Nexus 5 (2013)

Tablet History:
1.) Toshiba THRiVE 16GB (2011)
2.) Asus Transformer Prime 32GB (2012)
3.) Google Asus Nexus 7 (2012)
4.) Google Asus Nexus 7 (2013)

B Dizzle
Old
(Last edited by B Dizzle; 27th July 2013 at 01:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
No where did they ever say that the Chromecast could run without another device once it started... So since it was never announced or talked about, that DOES make it an interesting development... !
I believe it was mentioned in the demo. Once a stream was started from Google Music, YouTube or Netfix the phone/tablet is no longer needed. They mentioned that we would see no battery drain as well. This is because the phone/tablet is not doing the steaming. Essentially your phone is just a remote. Just like a TV ... You find the channel you want and the remote is no longer needed.

I too am experiencing the lock up when the phone is put to sleep during streaming. I think it is related to the lock screen. If you push the power button once and wait a while you see the new lock screen that shows up during streams.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

legendnexus
Old
Thanks Meter 2
same here with N4 w/ 4.3 ...

PhantomGamers
Old
(Last edited by PhantomGamers; 28th July 2013 at 01:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 855

DONATE TO ME
Has anyone figured out how to fix this yet? It's really annoying.

also:
Quote:
this WAS announced and talked about in the announcement haha
Phone: Google Nexus 5 Black 16GB
ROM: latest stock || Kernel: franco.Kernel
Carrier: T-Mobile || Plan: $30 UL Web and Text
Retired Devices: Google Nexus 4 Black 16GB, Samsung Galaxy S3 Blue 32GB (VZW), Motorola Droid 2

Getting LTE to stick on Nexus 4 without Data Wipe

radiohead7778580
Old
Thanks Meter 129

DONATE TO ME
good its not just me.... it happens in netflix for me

i was thinking it was because of the hybrid lte radio .... well that's a relief

hope the problem gets fixed

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

i guess we can always disable the lock screen while streaming for the time being