Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,888 Members 36,045 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A Warning to ALL GALAXY S4 ACTIVE USERS!!!!

Tip us?

daledenton
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
Default A Warning to ALL GALAXY S4 ACTIVE USERS!!!!

This phone is not truly waterproof/resistant!!!!!

First off I want to start this off buy saying a few things. I work for AT&T so before anyone says its from improper usage remember I had to watch training videos on how to properly use it. Also, before anyone says well, you aren't really supposed to be using it in the water, you are wrong. The first thing we are trained on is how to properly close the back cover and how to show the customers Aqua mode to take pictures underwater. We actively use this as a main selling point, this is per Samsung.

Here is my story. I bought the Active on Thursday. The first thing I did with it was ensure the back was closed and made a video in my fish tank so I could show customers how it works underwater, and how good aqua mode is. That worked out perfectly except the video was a little dark, so I figured I would retake it.

In this time I had a customer swap out the phone they bought because it were defective, the bottom buttons stopped working on it. She was very vague when the water question came up but I thought nothing of it.

Now cue today. It was sunny outside so I thought it was the perfect time to reshoot the fish tank video. I ensured the back was secure, yes, including pressing down on the back where the AT&T logo is. I then submerged the phone in the tank while taking the video. Almost instantly the phone screen went black and said dock mode was enabled so I took the phone out of the water and everything went back to normal. I double checked the USB rubber to be sure. I just chalked it up to the phone doing crazy things in the water. I have read almost everywhere that the phone will say headphones are plugged in, etc. So I thought this was normal. I then put it back in and took a minute long video. Everything was fine. I even played back the video and it was fully working.

This is where everything went wrong. About 2 minutes later the phone started tweaking out, Google now opened on its own and the buttons were really sensitive. Then the buttons completely stopped working other than the power button and that's when I freaked out. I opened the battery cover and there it was, everything was soaked. but luckily none of the water damage indicators were colored. I then opened the USB door and it was like a fountain, so that's where the breach happened. The flimsy, rubber USB door. I did not tell a soul what happened and went back to work and swapped it for a regular Galaxy S4.

So please listen to my warning. There are way too many people getting this phone damaged, including me, a fully trained AT&T employee who took the proper precautions before doing anything.

Samsung should not be able to get away with calling this phone water resistant or water proof, and they should especially not include an Aqua Camera mode.

Also the warranty DOES NOT, I REPEAT, DOES NOT COVER WATER!!!!
Current Devices:
Nexus 5 32gb, HTC One m8 (GPE), Nexus 7 (2013)
Retired Devices
Galaxy S4, HTC One, Note 3, Galaxy S4 Active, Nexus 4 16gb, Nexus 4 8gb, Blackberry Z10, Nexus 7, Note II, Lumia 810, Galaxy S3,
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to daledenton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

starxgamingx
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I think it depends really, i understand where you are coming from, and you shouldnt trust it, but my friend was pushed in the pool with his and it survived without a issue

Blue Reaper
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've kept mine in my pocket and went for a swim in the pool. Worked fine after wiping it with a towel. You might have had a defective unit...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

thatbigmoose
Old
Thanks Meter 168
As an AT&T employee maybe you'll know the procedure for this..

I've read all the horror stories relating to the S4A, and there's been a few of them.. Is the fact that the device seems to fail often enough of a reason to exchange for a regular S4? I'm not within my 14 days anymore :/.I opted for this over S4 just because of the water resistance.
Motorola Razr original -> iPhone 3G -> iPhone 4 -> Galaxy S2(i777) -> Galaxy S3(i747) -> Galaxy S4 active(SGH-i537)

daledenton
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by starxgamingx View Post
I think it depends really, i understand where you are coming from, and you shouldnt trust it, but my friend was pushed in the pool with his and it survived without a issue

And I understand that I may have a defective unit, but I have read 3 separate reviews where the reviewer damaged their first phone. There is also a thread on XDA where a bunch of people state that they damaged their phone. This in itself either says that the phone doesn't work as advertised or there are way too many defective units out there for anyone to be safe to try the water and Samsung needs to know this.
Current Devices:
Nexus 5 32gb, HTC One m8 (GPE), Nexus 7 (2013)
Retired Devices
Galaxy S4, HTC One, Note 3, Galaxy S4 Active, Nexus 4 16gb, Nexus 4 8gb, Blackberry Z10, Nexus 7, Note II, Lumia 810, Galaxy S3,

starxgamingx
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by daledenton View Post
And I understand that I may have a defective unit, but I have read 3 separate reviews where the reviewer damaged their first phone. There is also a thread on XDA where a bunch of people state that they damaged their phone. This in itself either says that the phone doesn't work as advertised or there are way too many defective units out there for anyone to be safe to try the water and Samsung needs to know this.
Maybe its the other way around and my friend got a defective one thats actually waterproof :P

Blackwolf10
Old
Thanks Meter 241
now i fell terribly sorry for who went with those ugly buttons instead of S4
Phone: Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900
ROM: ThunderWolf Series S5 Rom V2.2
Kernel: Halaszk Cluster V0.17
I am a 17 years old Kurdish boy from Iraq

Kyuta Syuko
Old
Thanks Meter 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf10 View Post
now i fell terribly sorry for who went with those ugly buttons instead of S4
Eh... I like the buttons...
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

Build:1306 1308
ROM: Stock KOT49H.I537UCUCNE3
Theme: ADW Samoled Icon & Font, DCikonZ Skin, PlanetScapes LWP
Launcher: Apex Pro

Samsung Captivate

Build:1009
Bootloaders: I897UCKK4
ROM: SlimBean 4.2.2b6
Kernel: Samurai 2.0.2β ~ lulzactive ~ ROW ~ 1200 OC w/112% LiveOC (1344 total)
Modem: UGKG3
Theme: None
Launcher: Apex Pro

Mobile ODIN

Everyone needs a Dropbox
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kyuta Syuko For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scott14719
Old
Thanks Meter 813
The bottom line is that Samsung doesn't warranty the phone against water damage and therefor should Never sell it as such. If they can not stand behind an advertised function of their own product, they should not sell it. It doesn't matter if people abuse the phone in water or exceed the recommended specs (depth and length of time in water) because there is no way they can differentiate between people that stay within the specs and those that don't.
SGH-I337 (AT&T) 32GB
P-ROM (1st Gen.), De-Odexed, AMDL
Rooted
Auto-LOKI OUDHS CWM

Make sure you read and understand the "PINNED" threads in the "General" and "Q & A" sections of the AT&T S4 forum BEFORE you ask for help. Use the forum's "search" function to find posts with additional information. You should not expect others to help you if you haven't tried to help yourself first. Also, read, understand, and follow the "XDA" rules.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scott14719 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

toxicpaulution
Old
Thanks Meter 364

DONATE TO ME
All I gotta say is the best way to get away with saying it is water resistance/proof would be making it like the Nexus 4 and no removable back. Make it wireless charging. Come with a wireless charger. Sd card slot and sim slot on the top or sides. Make it completely blocked off with no ports but a headphone hack the way they did making it water proof. That's the only way they can be certain its water resistant. Otherwise you have these issues.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

The Following User Says Thank You to toxicpaulution For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]