Lycamobile

Search This thread

skuly

Apr 13, 2011
Chicago

If you haven't heard of LycaMobile...It's a T-Mobile MNVO..

My AHD is Carrier Unlocked so I can use AT&T or T-Mobile, I got tired of paying 45+taxes for StraightTalk (AT&T) since I am mostly on wifi and don't really need the speed when I am not...
so i bought an unlock code and switched to Ultramobile last month because of their 19$ plan but they only give you 50mb of data
that was an issue for me and I didn't want to pay 39$ for their unlimited 2g when I could get GoSmart for 35$...
The other day I learned Lyca has the same plan as Gosmart but for 29$ (unlimited talk,text and 2g)

I waited too long to port my number from Ultra and lost it....
I've had Lyca service less then 2 hours and so far the only problem I had is their porting process,
It wasn't as fast as it was for me when I ported from other companies....
I've ported my number to and from a few companies and it always took less then 10 hours
I stupidly assumed 12 hours would be enough this time aswell,

Anyway 29$ sounds like a great deal I just hope I don't end up having issues with their service,
I figured I'd let people in the AHD section know about Lyca and post updates if I have any problems.
Maybe others have had experience with Lycamobile .

Apn settings i use

Name:lycamobile
APN:data.lycamobile.com
----------------------
Proxy:Not set
Port:Not set
Username:lmus
Password:lmus
Server:Not set
MMSC:Not set
MMS port:Not set
Auth Type:Not set
Apn Type:Not set

Update: 8/4/13

I've had lyca for almost 7 days now and at first I was having signal issues at home and it made it hard to have long text messages it was annoying, texts would get stuck at sending but seems good now after i went to Holoblur from Liquidsmooth.

Originally i thought lyca went to unlimited 2g after the first 50mb but turns out it's 3g.
To to be sure i downloaded a 100mb video last night, at 1.5-2mb which seems to be my average data speed on lyca since day 1... anyway i'm still getting 1.5-2mb on speedtest.net today so Lyca is even more worth it for me now that i know it's unlimited 3g instead of a slow 2g..

I used to use testmy.net in the browser but for some reason after i flashed holoblur 0.9 last night testmy.net says Forbidden.

So at the moment the only issue I have with Lyca is that they don't have mms but i can live with that if my data speeds stay at at least 800kbs.

I also forgot to backup my contacts when i flashed holoblur 0.9 last night , I had 2 contacts i had added that day...I am lucky Lyca keeps a call log online.

Last edited:

skuly

Apr 13, 2011
Chicago
I just saw a guy handing out lycamobile booklets, I told him have the service we talked a minute..I mentioned my plan and 2g ..he claimed it goes to 3g after that 50mb of 4g...I hope that's true. 3g is like up to 800kbs or something iirc...so that would be great.

Reactions: mwb1100

kwonic

Aug 1, 2013
That sounds like a pretty sweet phone plan. I might switch over to it once my contract ends. Do let us know if there are any problems you may run into.:good:

skuly

Apr 13, 2011
Chicago
I've had lyca for almost 7 days now and at first I was having signal issues at home and it made it hard to have long text messages it was annoying, texts would get stuck at sending but seems good now after i went to Holoblur from Liquidsmooth.

And I hardly use data but i was pretty sure i had used more then 50mb, but to be sure i downloaded a 100mb video last night, at 1.5-2mb which seems to be my average data speed on lyca since day 1... anyway i'm still getting 1.5-2mb on speedtest.net today.. i used to use testmy.net but for some reason after i flashed holoblur 0.9 last night testmy.net says Forbidden.

So at the moment the only issue I have with Lyca is that they don't have mms but i can live with that if my data speeds stay at at least 800kbs.

skuly

Apr 13, 2011
Chicago
1 month of service and I'm happy so far, feels like as time goes by my service becomes more stable. The first 2 weeks I was losing service often and had problems sending texts and had a few calls drop.. but been good the past week or so.

diamond12

Nov 7, 2012
Los Angeles
Gave them a try as well. I only used them temporarily to place international calls but the one time that I did it whle driving I didn't see any difference with the T-Mobile service. So far,
- Call quality to landlines in Europe was excellent.
- Call quality to cell phones in Europe was decent. On a single incidence the volume was too loud and it distorted. I don't think this was Lycamobile's problem.
- I can't get the online recharge to work. I enter all my info and at the end I get the message the transaction failed. I see the temporary authorization on my credit card, and it later goes away. I was only able to add credit by going to a local cell phone store.
- Customer service is in India. They are not allowed to request credit card information, so they couldn't do the recharge.
- Online customer service only got me the autorespond email and nothing after that.
- Calls (pay as you go) are charged at 20+ seconds longer than the call as timed by the phone itself.
- The sim card doesn't have the APN info for data. I didn't want to use data, so I didn't enter an APN.
- International roaming in Europe worked fine and at 46¢/min it beats AT&T and T-Mobile's $1.29, $1.39 or $1.79, and matches what European pay as you go carriers charge when roaming within Europe.

Given that I couldn't get any credit card to process on their website, I couldn't buy a sim card from their website either. One store sold them for $10, another for $5, and they go for 99¢ on eBay.

I think I'm going to try h2o next. Their $49/mo plans are very comparable: unlimited voice, domestic and international texts, 1GB data. Lycamoble gives $20 credit for international calls (1¢/min land-8¢/min cell in Europe) whereas h2o has unlimited landline (certain countries) and gives $40 credit for 20-30¢/min (in Europe) calls to cell phones. h2o also has mms but doesn't roam internationally.

skuly

Apr 13, 2011
Chicago
Lyca sends free sims. And the first time I called customer support the person sounded Indian but every time after that I have gotten customer support from the UK.

diamond12

Nov 7, 2012
Los Angeles
Updates:

- Online recharge works for me now
- Lycamoble responded via email that calls are billed from the time the call is placed (including ring time)

diamond12

Nov 7, 2012
Los Angeles
They did end up losing some text messages for me. I confirmed that these were sent as SMS and not MMS.

Also, they automatically put me on the $39 plan without me doing so, when I added $40 credit in my account. Even though I requested to cancel the auto-renew and got the confirmation text, I still got a text on the renewal date that there were insufficient funds to renew my plan.

Other annoyances:

There is no voicemail integration. I never got the voicemail notification icon when I had voicemail. They sent a text message instead. Also, the voicemail service number did not get automatically integrated and I had to program it myself.

My number did not show in the phone info screen. Instead it showed +10000000000.

legendnexus

Dec 13, 2012
They did end up losing some text messages for me. I confirmed that these were sent as SMS and not MMS.

Also, they automatically put me on the $39 plan without me doing so, when I added $40 credit in my account. Even though I requested to cancel the auto-renew and got the confirmation text, I still got a text on the renewal date that there were insufficient funds to renew my plan.

Other annoyances:

There is no voicemail integration. I never got the voicemail notification icon when I had voicemail. They sent a text message instead. Also, the voicemail service number did not get automatically integrated and I had to program it myself.

My number did not show in the phone info screen. Instead it showed +10000000000.

I also noticed international SMS plan doesn't work or I'm using some other APN settings. Can anyone confirm?
I'm using Google voice so MMS is no big deal for me actually. I don't use anyways lol.
I also don't what why the number appears like that but they have a dial up combination that shows the number on your screen, I guess it was *613#

And my phone always shows R (stands for roaming) and doesn't show the data speed letter like 4g 3g etc
Did anyone have the same issue too?

Note: I currently break my Atrix HD these were the issues I faced when it was working.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

skuly

Apr 13, 2011
Chicago
I used the 29$ plan for a few months and it was good service, i hardly use my phone so i stopped using a plan a few months ago and i had like 17$ on my account, atm it's only down to $8, at 2c per min ,since i don't text i am only paying a few $ a month for my service.

diamond12

Nov 7, 2012
Los Angeles
I switched to Spot Mobile yesterday so I can't see on my phone now but I had the recommended settings on the Lycamobile page:

APN: data.lycamobile.com
Username: lmus
Password: plus
APN Type: default,supl,admin,dun

Everything else blank.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you haven't heard of LycaMobile...It's a T-Mobile MNVO..

My AHD is Carrier Unlocked so I can use AT&T or T-Mobile, I got tired of paying 45+taxes for StraightTalk (AT&T) since I am mostly on wifi and don't really need the speed when I am not...
    so i bought an unlock code and switched to Ultramobile last month because of their 19$ plan but they only give you 50mb of data
    that was an issue for me and I didn't want to pay 39$ for their unlimited 2g when I could get GoSmart for 35$...
    The other day I learned Lyca has the same plan as Gosmart but for 29$ (unlimited talk,text and 2g)

I waited too long to port my number from Ultra and lost it....
    I've had Lyca service less then 2 hours and so far the only problem I had is their porting process,
    It wasn't as fast as it was for me when I ported from other companies....
    I've ported my number to and from a few companies and it always took less then 10 hours
    I stupidly assumed 12 hours would be enough this time aswell,

Anyway 29$ sounds like a great deal I just hope I don't end up having issues with their service,
    I figured I'd let people in the AHD section know about Lyca and post updates if I have any problems.
    Maybe others have had experience with Lycamobile .

Apn settings i use

Name:lycamobile
    APN:data.lycamobile.com
    ----------------------
    Proxy:Not set
    Port:Not set
    Username:lmus
    Password:lmus
    Server:Not set
    MMSC:Not set
    MMS port:Not set
    Auth Type:Not set
    Apn Type:Not set

Update: 8/4/13

Originally i thought lyca went to unlimited 2g after the first 50mb but turns out it's 3g.
    To to be sure i downloaded a 100mb video last night, at 1.5-2mb which seems to be my average data speed on lyca since day 1... anyway i'm still getting 1.5-2mb on speedtest.net today so Lyca is even more worth it for me now that i know it's unlimited 3g instead of a slow 2g..

I used to use testmy.net in the browser but for some reason after i flashed holoblur 0.9 last night testmy.net says Forbidden.

I also forgot to backup my contacts when i flashed holoblur 0.9 last night , I had 2 contacts i had added that day...I am lucky Lyca keeps a call log online.

And I hardly use data but i was pretty sure i had used more then 50mb, but to be sure i downloaded a 100mb video last night, at 1.5-2mb which seems to be my average data speed on lyca since day 1... anyway i'm still getting 1.5-2mb on speedtest.net today.. i used to use testmy.net but for some reason after i flashed holoblur 0.9 last night testmy.net says Forbidden.

I just saw a guy handing out lycamobile booklets, I told him have the service we talked a minute..I mentioned my plan and 2g ..he claimed it goes to 3g after that 50mb of 4g...I hope that's true. 3g is like up to 800kbs or something iirc...so that would be great.