Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,486 Members 44,480 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Touchpad USB OTG Compatibility List

Tip us?
 
Ivie
Old
#101  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 43
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rohnert Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgrimm2 View Post
As NathanNation mentioned, you can't just plug it in without the correct setup. See my info a few posts up for links and pictures that will help you out...HERE
Ya, as i said i have other devices working on it just fine. i have a y cable and it is powered. which is how i got a mouse and keyboard working. the only thing that doesnt work is this flash drive.
 
mpgrimm2
Old
(Last edited by mpgrimm2; 20th June 2013 at 04:22 AM.)
#102  
mpgrimm2's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,099
Posts: 1,675
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivie View Post
Ya, as i said i have other devices working on it just fine. i have a y cable and it is powered. which is how i got a mouse and keyboard working. the only thing that doesnt work is this flash drive.
Have you tried running it off a powered USB Hub yet?
The otg controller in the TP limits "directly" connected devices to 100ma, but devices after a Hub should be able to get the full 500ma USB 2.0 Limit set by the hub. ( Touchpad -> OTG adapter -> Powered Hub -> KB/Mouse/Hard Drive ). This may not be the issue, but if that particular Flash Drive is requesting more than 100ma from the usb port, then it will have to go through a hub. Have you tried a different flash drive (my 16gb Corsair Drive works fine after the hub).
The Following User Says Thank You to mpgrimm2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Ivie
Old
#103  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 43
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rohnert Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgrimm2 View Post
Have you tried running it off a powered USB Hub yet?
The otg controller in the TP limits "directly" connected devices to 100ma, but devices after a Hub should be able to get the full 500ma USB 2.0 Limit set by the hub. ( Touchpad -> OTG adapter -> Powered Hub -> KB/Mouse/Hard Drive ). This may not be the issue, but if that particular Flash Drive is requesting more than 100ma from the usb port, then it will have to go through a hub. Have you tried a different flash drive (my 16gb Corsair Drive works fine after the hub).
Great idea, i will look into this, don't have a hub but ill pick one up. dont have another flash drive to test but i can borrow one, thanks for you help man!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ivie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Nathanation
Old
#104  
Nathanation's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 471
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Farnham
Milaq has now implemented OTG into the latest cm10.1 nightly. I will be testing tonight to see if it works and will report back here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

NEXUS 4 rooted Stock 4.3, Franco kernel.
HP TOUCHPAD 32gb CM10.1
HTC EVO 3D GSM 32gb Stock ICS (dead digitizer)

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathanation For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
imeem
Old
#105  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 430
Join Date: Sep 2011
I assume we can use USB DACs by doing this?
 
Nathanation
Old
#106  
Nathanation's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 471
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Farnham
Well otg did work but not as it did on cm9. In cm9 I got a system notification saying "SD card detected" in cm10.1 I was able to read files from my external SD card but only when mounted by the app stickmount

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

NEXUS 4 rooted Stock 4.3, Franco kernel.
HP TOUCHPAD 32gb CM10.1
HTC EVO 3D GSM 32gb Stock ICS (dead digitizer)

 
lllGurulll
Old
#107  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 138
Join Date: Mar 2011
So basically, I need to buy the OTG cable AND a external power source just to attach a thumbdrive?

This is why it annoys me so much that some tablet makers refuse to put expandable storage via SDcard slot.
 
mpgrimm2
Old
#108  
mpgrimm2's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,099
Posts: 1,675
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllGurulll View Post
So basically, I need to buy the OTG cable AND a external power source just to attach a thumbdrive?

This is why it annoys me so much that some tablet makers refuse to put expandable storage via SDcard slot.
Agreed. With the correct OTG 'Y' Cable, you can use your TP's charger to run the OTG setup for low current devices (under 100ma, ie most Mice/Kb's & thumbdrives). If you need to plug in something that requires/requests more (like a HDD & some thumbdrives), you need to pass through a powered hub (some can be powered with an adapter via the USB wall charger). See prior post HERE.
 
shard76
Old
#109  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jun 2010
Question OTG Kernal support

I am using CM 9-20130714 and trying to get OTG to work without any success.
Is there a specific kernal/rom i need to flash to get this to work?
 
mpgrimm2
Old
(Last edited by mpgrimm2; 10th August 2013 at 12:50 PM.)
#110  
mpgrimm2's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,099
Posts: 1,675
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by shard76 View Post
I am using CM 9-20130714 and trying to get OTG to work without any success.
Is there a specific kernal/rom i need to flash to get this to work?
I can verify it works on CM9 20130714. You need to use the correct OTG adapter with an external power supply/charger. I have bought OTG adapters that were defective. Go back a page or two and I am sure you will see one of my posts with pictures of my setup as well as links to the correct hardware on ebay/amazon.

See post here.. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=40416348

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes