Does rooting only removes the ability for OTA updates?

14th August 2013, 12:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66

256 posts
More
Hey guys just received my n7 yesterday and am very pleased with this, however I have some questions.

Does rooting (only) removes your OTA updates access? I also own a Galaxy S4 (rooted) and I can't get OTA, it says it's modified, but I did flash a custom update on it and kernel. So if I just root my n7, and not flash anything, I will still get OTA's correct? I just want to use some apps which requires root access and not planning to flash a custom rooms or anything. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
14th August 2013, 01:26 AM   |  #2  
Flag Bend
Thanks Meter: 265

1,063 posts
Mine is always rooted, and I get all OTAs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
14th August 2013, 01:52 AM   |  #3  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 187

686 posts
Donate to Me
You just need to have the stock recovery to receive OTAs.
14th August 2013, 02:08 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 175

1,272 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username invalid

You just need to have the stock recovery to receive OTAs.

So if I have twrp installed, i won't receive them?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
14th August 2013, 02:09 AM   |  #5  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 187

686 posts
Donate to Me
Takes 10 seconds to reflash the stock recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Username invalid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th August 2013, 02:23 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,838

4,757 posts
UPDATE: SuperSU-v1.55 added the fix for the OTA update issue, so this post is no longer necessary unless you are using an older version of SuperSU

This post also applies to JSS15Q update.

I actually went through and tested JWR66N rooted with SuperSU and the JSS15J OTA update. I expected it to work but it exited with an error.

Ironically the JSS15J OTA actually did patch every single file successfully but near the end while setting permissions, it came up with an error, so after reboot you'll actually be running with all JSS15J rom files, except your build will still say JWR66N, you'll still be running the JWR66N recovery, and you'll still be running the 3.05 bootloader.

I tracked down the issue and put together a fix for it. If you want, it is attached to this post. You just run it after installing SuperSU, so basically:
  • adb reboot bootloader
  • fastboot boot twrp.img
within TWRPYou'll need to redo these steps (both the installs) after you receive the OTA to preserve root and ability to receive future OTAs.

Also as others have mentioned it is best to be running stock recovery (which the above commands will allow you to do because twrp is never flashed on the tablet) I've attached the stock recovery for JSS15J in case someone needs it.

If you make ANY modifications or delete files from the stock ROM with your new root privileges, then you will greatly increase the chances of the OTA failing. Adding new files is normally fine.
Attached Files
File Type: zip UPDATE-SuperSU-ota.zip - [Click for QR Code] (168.4 KB, 1347 views)
File Type: zip stock-recovery-JSS15J.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.22 MB, 761 views)
Last edited by sfhub; 3rd September 2013 at 06:08 PM.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th August 2013, 02:40 AM   |  #7  
Flag Bend
Thanks Meter: 265

1,063 posts
Well shoot - now you have me worried. I did install TWRP, but never considered that would block OTAs. Do they attempt to install and fail?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
14th August 2013, 02:45 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor

4,757 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200

Well shoot - now you have me worried. I did install TWRP, but never considered that would block OTAs. Do they attempt to install and fail?

On some platforms, especially when flashing bootloaders and/or radios, the stock recovery pulls some funky maneuvers to get that done. Often custom recoveries are not privy to those maneuvers. Also sometimes custom recoveries will experiment with custom kernels which don't always have the bootloader and/or radio devices mapped the same as the stock kernel. This can lead to problems to.

Thus it is safest to use stock recovery to flash OTAs.

I have flashed the complete JSS15J OTA except for the bootloader part using TWRP and it works ok. All the ROM files are patched.

I just didn't feel like risking my tablet with the bootloader flash portion of JSS15J OTA using twrp. It might work fine. I just know from the past the potential for issues are higher in that section of the OTA flash.
14th August 2013, 02:55 AM   |  #9  
New York
Thanks Meter: 28

145 posts
Is it common for nice folk on here to upload a stock zip of say for example, 4.3.1 when it releases so that we can flash it through a custom recovery (e.g., TWRP, CWM etc.), without having to change our custom recoveries?
14th August 2013, 03:02 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor

4,757 posts
It was common on other platforms I've used, but I don't know about here.

The Following User Says Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread