Android 4.3 Bluetooth Audio Quality Fix for Nexus 7 Flo

Search This thread

random_n

Aug 6, 2010
cbaronne has posted a set of compiled binaries to change the default bitrate of the Bluetooth SBC codec to increase A2DP audio quality on the Nexus 4 over on this thread. It seems that the 2013 Nexus 7 suffers from the same issues, but can also be fixed with the same binaries.

I've very lightly modified itlnstln's update script to work on the Nexus 7 and have tested these files as flashable under TWRP. The binaries in the flo-4.3-BTFix-googledefault.zip file are from the ParanoidAndroid 3.94 ROM (which I would highly recommend) should you experience troubles with your Bluetooth devices.

I would recommend trying the 328kbps version first, and would expect it to provide the best quality in most situations since it matches the sampling rate of most MP3 files. Most Bluetooth stacks for other devices have 328 as the maximum quality. Of course, test with your devices and ears.

For device testing, I've used it to great success with a BlackBerry Music Gateway (still stuck at low volume, but that's an AVRCP volume control issue) and a Philips AEA2000/37 Bluetooth receiver. I also have an eBay/Chinese receiver which identifies itself as DMZmusic where this change causes continuous popping noises from both my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. That device is perfectly fine when paired with my other devices that stream at full quality with A2DP SBC (BlackBerry Playbook, WP7 phone, and Windows PC using the Toshiba stack), so clearly Google still has some work to do. Until then, hopefully these files prove to be useful.

Attachments

• flo-4.3-BTFix-328kbps-2013-08-18.zip
    718 KB · Views: 688
  • flo-4.3-BTFix-345kbps-2013-08-18.zip
    711.7 KB · Views: 307
  • flo-4.3-BTFix-googledefault.zip
    711.6 KB · Views: 281

comptech81

Jun 28, 2011
Install

cbaronne has posted a set of compiled binaries to change the default bitrate of the Bluetooth SBC codec to increase A2DP audio quality on the Nexus 4 over on this thread. It seems that the 2013 Nexus 7 suffers from the same issues, but can also be fixed with the same binaries.

I've very lightly modified itlnstln's update script to work on the Nexus 7 and have tested these files as flashable under TWRP. The binaries in the flo-4.3-BTFix-googledefault.zip file are from the ParanoidAndroid 3.94 ROM (which I would highly recommend) should you experience troubles with your Bluetooth devices.

I would recommend trying the 328kbps version first, and would expect it to provide the best quality in most situations since it matches the sampling rate of most MP3 files. Most Bluetooth stacks for other devices have 328 as the maximum quality. Of course, test with your devices and ears.

For device testing, I've used it to great success with a BlackBerry Music Gateway (still stuck at low volume, but that's an AVRCP volume control issue) and a Philips AEA2000/37 Bluetooth receiver. I also have an eBay/Chinese receiver which identifies itself as DMZmusic where this change causes continuous popping noises from both my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. That device is perfectly fine when paired with my other devices that stream at full quality with A2DP SBC (BlackBerry Playbook, WP7 phone, and Windows PC using the Toshiba stack), so clearly Google still has some work to do. Until then, hopefully these files prove to be useful.

Thanks for this post I am having issues with Audio when listening to Netflix movies. Can I just flash this using TWRP?

random_n

Aug 6, 2010
Thanks for this post I am having issues with Audio when listening to Netflix movies. Can I just flash this using TWRP?

Yes, just flash with TWRP. Note that this only affects A2DP Bluetooth audio (ie: wireless headphones and stereo receivers) in situations where it sounds like Internet radio from the year 2001 and won't do a thing for the static noise when using the onboard speakers at low volume.

volwrath

Oct 10, 2006
Nashville
328K did seem to help with Netflix + BT but it certainly wasnt perfect. Its rather disappointing that such a powerful tablet cant even BT + netflix properly.

BennY-

Sep 15, 2008
Thanks much for sharing.

Aren't any Android Tablets/Phones out there which support BT-MP3/AAC Codec? Maybe those can be ported to Nexus devices?

SubMatrix

Jun 24, 2010

I don't know if this is related to the problem of BT keyboards working properly (interference on the 2.4 Ghz band between WiFi and BT), but if it is, would you know how to fix that problem as well? Only reason I ask is that I was under the impression that BT audio also suffered from the interference issue, and would especially make sense if paired up with netflix streaming (which would be sending data over WiFi simultaneously).

random_n

Aug 6, 2010
I don't know if this is related to the problem of BT keyboards working properly (interference on the 2.4 Ghz band between WiFi and BT), but if it is, would you know how to fix that problem as well? Only reason I ask is that I was under the impression that BT audio also suffered from the interference issue, and would especially make sense if paired up with netflix streaming (which would be sending data over WiFi simultaneously).

I haven't dealt with that issue specifically on the Nexus 7, but I have had nothing but terrible luck with most Bluetooth HID devices for PCs and now just recommend using sets from Logitech or Microsoft with proprietary RF USB dongles. Apple's devices tend to work OK though. As for interference, I have no trouble streaming BT audio while also pulling HD video over my 2.4GHz WLAN, but then again I'm not in a very RF saturated area and also have automatic channel hopping disabled on my WiFi AP. If you're in a highrise or something like that, the only possible solution is going to be to get your WLAN onto 5.8GHz to try and free up some spectrum.

I don't think I've heard of any Android devices that do MP3 or AAC BT audio, but there are quite a few that can do AptX. As far as I know, only the manufacturer ROMs provide the codecs for this (ie: flashing CyanogenMod to an SGSIII will kill AptX), and receiver compatibility is pretty low. It's a shame that there are so many cooks in the Bluetooth kitchen that we end up with this metaphorical beef and Cheetos stew.

Reactions: TheGoD

volwrath

Oct 10, 2006
Nashville
I don't think you can blame the Nexus 7. I reverted to the previous version of the netflix app and the audio is fine. It appears netflix broke something with the latest update.

Ill have to try that. Nonetheless there are some bt issues relating to 4.3. I was attempting to watch a youtube via bt headphones and my vz hotspot on my SGS3 and it stuttered along, but when I turned off bluetooth it streamed fine. This is rather aggravating.

big_b0sss

Feb 17, 2012
Belfast
tried btfix 328kbps didn't help me:(:( i use my sony nfc headphone but doesn't work properly when using Netflix sounds get cut. well anyone mind sharing old version of Netflix apo please

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

chucky7910

Jan 16, 2012
I don't think you can blame the Nexus 7. I reverted to the previous version of the netflix app and the audio is fine. It appears netflix broke something with the latest update.

Thanks posting your fix. I just reverted to a previous version of netflix and now I have absolutely no audio issues over bluetooth.

passlogin

Sep 18, 2012
Goa
:good: Huge thank you to OP. Ever since I got my nexus 4, it always had crappy bluetooth audio playback. For a while I wondered if my speakers in the car were damaged also but I tried your fixed and it worked flawlessly. Crystal clear and rich sound now. This is confirmed working on the latest stock nexus 4 jwr66y :D

rmagruder

Aug 5, 2009
-- Post deleted -- web site didn't load that other people had asked my question. It just did and I see it. Can't find 'delete' option here.

Last edited:

shaverzbt

Jul 27, 2013
San Diego
You know, I downloaded a Beats Audio APK and that did the trick. Just google BeatsAudio07.02.zip and the first link will where you can download it. I noticed a big difference on my N7 I use at home and definitely the N7 I have installed in my car. The sound thru my Infinity System sounds like crap. Once I downloaded and flashed this zip, it was a huge improvement. :good:

k2thec

Oct 25, 2006
Just got a netflix update last night (3.0.1 build 1016,) fixes the bt issues I had with it =]

SireSalty

Oct 1, 2013
Can't update

Does anyone have the default audio.a2dp.default.so, after applying this fix I can no longer OTA.

tammi14

Nov 29, 2013
Error: Unfortunately, Bluetooth share has stopped

Hi Guys, I'm new to N7 and first thing I wanted to do is to upgrade BT audio q. After causing endless bootloop (X), I had to restore device to factory settings using Nexus Root Toolkit v 1.7.8 and loading Android 4.4.0 - Build: KRT16S. Only after that, I tried again to flash "flo-4.3-BTFix-328kbps-2013-08-18.zip" and everything looked ok until boot when there was a pop up message with an error: "Unfortunately, Bluetooth share has stopped". Same with other zip (345kbps). Any idea where might be the problem? :(

EDIT: Obviously I was trying to use 4.3 fix for 4.4. build :) When I realized it, I loaded again 4.3 system, flashed zip and seems to be ok now!
So anyway @random_n, could you please update this fix so it would work for 4.4 as well. It would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

328K did seem to help with Netflix + BT but it certainly wasnt perfect. Its rather disappointing that such a powerful tablet cant even BT + netflix properly.

I haven't dealt with that issue specifically on the Nexus 7, but I have had nothing but terrible luck with most Bluetooth HID devices for PCs and now just recommend using sets from Logitech or Microsoft with proprietary RF USB dongles. Apple's devices tend to work OK though. As for interference, I have no trouble streaming BT audio while also pulling HD video over my 2.4GHz WLAN, but then again I'm not in a very RF saturated area and also have automatic channel hopping disabled on my WiFi AP. If you're in a highrise or something like that, the only possible solution is going to be to get your WLAN onto 5.8GHz to try and free up some spectrum.

I don't think I've heard of any Android devices that do MP3 or AAC BT audio, but there are quite a few that can do AptX. As far as I know, only the manufacturer ROMs provide the codecs for this (ie: flashing CyanogenMod to an SGSIII will kill AptX), and receiver compatibility is pretty low. It's a shame that there are so many cooks in the Bluetooth kitchen that we end up with this metaphorical beef and Cheetos stew.
    [It seems that the 2013 Nexus 7 suffers from the same issues, but can also be fixed with the same binaries.

Does anyone know if this fix will work for lollipop roms or if there is an alternative to use?