Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Firmware][GT-N7000][4.2.1] CyanogenMod 10.1 unofficial builds // discussion thread

OP Entropy512

17th August 2013, 11:40 PM   |  #1541  
Thanks Meter: 7

30 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by se1988

Will there actually be more 10.1 nightlies? I thought that 10.2 had replaced 10.1 a couple days ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeckoDev

Woops, you are right. Switch straight to the latest CM10.2 or grab the latest CM10.1 and flash my kernel on top of it.

Thanks for the answers! But I'm a bit surprised that 10.1 didn't even make it to an M or an RC until it was dropped for 10.2... Haven't there been a lot of talk about Samsung sucking hard and foobar:ing the sources so much that the CM superdevs are thinking of abandoning future support for the Note?

What about the "slow" issue? Is that about the new hwcomposer that has recently been discussed in the 10.2 thread?

Regarding the kernel, what makes your kernel an better option than the "original" in CM10.2?

Thanks again!
18th August 2013, 01:18 AM   |  #1542  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,821

13,533 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prohexa

Thanks for the answers! But I'm a bit surprised that 10.1 didn't even make it to an M or an RC until it was dropped for 10.2... Haven't there been a lot of talk about Samsung sucking hard and foobar:ing the sources so much that the CM superdevs are thinking of abandoning future support for the Note?

What about the "slow" issue? Is that about the new hwcomposer that has recently been discussed in the 10.2 thread?

Regarding the kernel, what makes your kernel an better option than the "original" in CM10.2?

Thanks again!

The Note is no longer the primary device for anyone on the team, and hasn't been for months. It's basically surviving via inertia - fortunately, 10.2 didn't have any really significant changes in hardware support. But of the four main Exynos4 maintainers - I almost never touch my devices, plodey focuses on his find5 but pokes at exynos occasionally, same for codeworkx. Fortunately, all of the device-specific **** was worked out ages ago, so it's always generic common platform stuff. I don't think I've seen a Note or i777-specific commit in many months.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th August 2013, 10:05 AM   |  #1543  
Flag Aachen/หนองบัวลำภู
Thanks Meter: 2,716

2,452 posts
More
That's the type of clear statement I like. No soothing words but real life.

Many things that aren't working in way that could be possible (if Samsung would support it) won't come to the N7000 in CM (10.1 or 10.2) anymore.

For me the two most important:
1. Graphics (butter) will never be really smooth (as Entropy512 made clear some month ago in another statement).
2. In Android 4.3 there is a chance to reduce the typical lags with the TRIM command. Because of the eMMC bug we will not benefit from this.

And of course (but this isn't new) the lack of support for FM (I miss this really) and sPen (I don't know when I used it the last time).
18th August 2013, 10:40 AM   |  #1544  
Thanks Meter: 622

553 posts
More
It's not a problem: as the dedicated OEM we've always known, "Sam-dung" will marvel us with a 4.3 update for the Note in a timely manner (ok where's my grin smiley now?).
18th August 2013, 11:21 PM   |  #1545  
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 365

1,792 posts
More
Anyone aware of this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=548

i know it's not related to the Note, but it might come around and harm us...
18th August 2013, 11:24 PM   |  #1546  
Flag All Your Base
Thanks Meter: 750

1,380 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedric

Oh the drama

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4
19th August 2013, 06:21 PM   |  #1547  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,821

13,533 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedric

Goes way back. I won't specifically name people, but at least one of the exynos4 maintainers is now 90% retired from CM after one of the project leads was constantly trashtalking the exynos4 team. I became pretty demotivated myself. (I was already pretty demotivated due to being shamelessly lied to by Samsung repeatedly, but additional factors made things worse.)

There are some great people on the team, and there are unfortunately some massive assholes. It's funny how they bitch and moan about CM kangs when some of them (and their incredibly hostile attitude towards people they don't know) are the #1 reason for some of the kangs existing.

If it hadn't been for very positive experiences with atinm and codeworkx, I probably wouldn't be involved with the project, as some of my initial runins with certain members of the team were less than pleasant.
Last edited by Entropy512; 19th August 2013 at 07:25 PM.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2013, 06:47 PM   |  #1548  
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 365

1,792 posts
More
Quote:

Goes way back. I won't specifically name people, but at least one of the exynos4 maintainers is now 90% retired from CM after one of the project leads was constantly trashtalking the exynos4 team. I became pretty demotivated myself.

I remember reading about alot of FUD related to the exynos ecostystem, maintainers "threating" to drop the devices because Samsung was evil and not releasing sources or releasing them severly cripled etc etc.

Let's hope this get's sorted out, i know that a "Advanced" menu is problably not the best solution, but at least it was a solution. I'm on CM10.2 and i miss setting my mDNIe settings... alas this whole Amoled type screen is rubish and the mDNIe just exist to atenuate the severe color unbalance, erroneous saturation, and severe drop to black just to make the device seem "brighter". But, it's what we have....

I hope we can keep the exynos dev team, our devices will probably not live to see the light of another major android distro, but withouth the team we won't see a stable 10.1/10.2. So kudos to you all for keeping up and helping the common people like me.
The Following User Says Thank You to daedric For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2013, 09:07 PM   |  #1549  
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 9,003

5,775 posts
More
Samsung is evil. LOL.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4
20th August 2013, 05:22 PM   |  #1550  
Thanks Meter: 12

49 posts
Unhappy Bump - anyone else with erratic problems the last week?
Hi, sorry to disturb our quiet thread... but thought to ask before digging MUCH deeper...

Been on 20130813 nightly until last night... but since loading it something wasn't quite right with my ROM/Phone.

1. Black screen, twice
2. Rebooted, once
3. CyanDelta stopped picking up updates
4. Screen rotation stopped working

Last night I manually downloaded and applied 20130819 (via CyanDelta) and then...

1. Select Phone - got an 'App Isn't Installed' error message. I tried starting Phone from app drawer and it worked, so replaced icon on homescreen and seems OK... despite some frayed nerves Is there something new in the 'Phone' app?

2. Android Keyboard (AOSP) which I've been happily using for some time... swiping shows my finger trace, but nothing appears as typed. Typing directly works. Switched to standard Android keyboard and swiping works.

3. Noticeably higher battery usage compared to the last few months. Media a big hog upfront as usual... but not much after initial load. Did notice a new 'status' message I think I've not seen before... 'updating media... something or other during the normal 'Android is upgrading' count through the apps on first boot after new ROM.

Just thought to ask... things have been fantasticly stable the last few months... but suddenly not so much (for me) and in core areas like rotation, phone and keyboard.

Is it just me? Do I need to do my full wife
Thanks!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread