Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,597 Members 51,129 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Does Xperia Z Ultra do OTG USB Host for audio DAC..?

Tip us?

liviococcia
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Does Xperia Z Ultra do OTG USB Host for audio DAC..?

Hi Members
I'm currently using a Note2 but I love the screen size, speed and quality shown by the Xperia Z Ultra so i'm thinking this may be my next phone.

At the moment, i can hook up SGNote2 to my Hifi via an 'OTG USB host' adapter lead, a further 'USB to MiniUSB' cable which then plugs into my HRT Headstreamer Mobile DAC, will I be able to do the same with the Xperia Z Ultra?

Also, does the Sony have any issues with regards to playing 'flash plugin' Web content and media?

And lastly please, Samsung uses a device call an 'AllShare Cast hub' to mirror what's on the SNote2 onto a HD TV , how does/will the Xperia Z Ultra work to do this same feature, is there Sony equivalent device?

Any advise would be great thanks

Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to liviococcia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RokkaMan
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Works with a Fiio E17 but not with an Audioquest Dragonfly

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RokkaMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

liviococcia
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks for the help Rokkaman, i couldn't help myself and went ahead and bought the SZU.

I did find out that mirror casting should be no problem (i also purchased a Netgear Push2tv), I'm gonna take my chances with my HRT Headstreamer Mobile DAC, and hope that it will work with the Sony phone.

The HRT DAC's tend to be 'firmware' designed with a high rate of standard conformity, but if there's a problem then I'll have to look for another DAC product like your make and model, hopefully this won't be necessary though.

Regards

danba
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RokkaMan View Post
Works with a Fiio E17 but not with an Audioquest Dragonfly

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app
Like the Xperia Z, the Xperia Z Ultra should likely work with the AudioQuest DragonFly using USB Audio Recorder PRO available on Google Play store. There is a free trial version.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/andr...5#post_9429206

cmclaughlan
Old
Thanks Meter 4
With just an OTG adapter and using the Walkman app I was able to use my Fiio E17 as a USB DAC streaming both MP3 and FLAC to it from C6802.

Could not make my Astel and Kern 120 work at all. It would cause the AK120 to lock up each time it was connected and USB DAC was selected. Would need to soft-reset even after USB was disconnected.
Sony Xperia Z Ultra
http://www.mclaughlan.org/kaadian

Nuwidol
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmclaughlan View Post
With just an OTG adapter and using the Walkman app I was able to use my Fiio E17 as a USB DAC streaming both MP3 and FLAC to it from C6802.

Could not make my Astel and Kern 120 work at all. It would cause the AK120 to lock up each time it was connected and USB DAC was selected. Would need to soft-reset even after USB was disconnected.
Hmm, sounds like a fault with the AK120. Send it to me & I'll try it with my equipment Yeah?

cmclaughlan
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwidol View Post
Hmm, sounds like a fault with the AK120. Send it to me & I'll try it with my equipment Yeah?

Love my AK120 so it doesn't matter so much that the Ultra Z doesn't stream to it.
Sony Xperia Z Ultra
http://www.mclaughlan.org/kaadian

calinormy
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Works with fiio e17 alpen with an ordinary 2 $ otg usb cable. I found the sound horrible with the headphones directly connected to Zu. I own galaxy S4 and S4 active but no comparison here...different world.

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

klinggalaxy
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by calinormy View Post
Works with fiio e17 alpen with an ordinary 2 $ otg usb cable. I found the sound horrible with the headphones directly connected to Zu. I own galaxy S4 and S4 active but no comparison here...different world.
So what you're saying, is that a) the E17 is being supported by the ZU and b) the quality you can get from this combination is superior compared to the E17-S4 configuration?

calinormy
Old
Thanks Meter 27
No,with the e17 you have two options : 1.to get the digital file directly from usb port and to convert inside the e17 - in this case the source of music doesn't matter S4 or Z or Zu 2. To get the sound decoded by fone and only amplified by E17. I was talking about the sound.from the phone alone. It is awful and I am disappointed by Sony. My headphones are Sennheiser Momentum. I am lucky enough cause I have the option 1....with alpen. Sorry for my English.

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app