[Q] Slimport -> HDMI Aspect Ratio

Search This thread

bubsterboo

Aug 2, 2012
I have the Analogix Slimport to HDMI adapter and have some questions regarding Android and HDMI out.

When connected to a 1080p TV the nexus 7 puts out a 1080p signal, however, it seems to be mirroring the 16:10 display. This results in the output being scaled and letter boxed as it's adjusted to fit the 16:9 1080p output.

Apparently I can't post links until I have at least 10 posts. So please copy/paste this to see what I'm describing:
imgur.com/a/i8tPO

The first picture is what you see on your HDMI TV, the second is what you see on the tablet.

So my question is:
Is there a solution to have proper 1:1 pixel mapped HDMI out? If my theory is correct this could be achieved my changing the tablets display resolution to 1920x1080. Is this possible with Android?

I understand it's possible for certain apps to treat the HDMI out display as a separate display which would avoid these problems. But next to no apps out there support that and thus doesn't help me.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to play emulator games over HDMI properly full screened with 1:1 mapping.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

swagstr

Sep 4, 2010
Corvallis, OR
www.goodandevo.net
Shamelessly stolen from another thread:

unfortunately the output is pillarboxed by default. This can be fixed by doing (as root)
wm size 1080x1920
wm density 288

then reset with:
wm size reset
wm density reset

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: bubsterboo

bubsterboo

Aug 2, 2012

unfortunately the output is pillarboxed by default. This can be fixed by doing (as root)
wm size 1080x1920
wm density 288

then reset with:
wm size reset
wm density reset

That's exactly what I needed!

Works perfectly. Many thanks!

Would be nice if this was packaged into a convenient app, but this will do.

This is a MUST for anyone using HDMI on the Nexus7

Last edited:

swagstr

Sep 4, 2010
Corvallis, OR
www.goodandevo.net

I feel like at the least. We could make this into a script. Or maybe even write into build.prop? Where are these changes being made?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Oh! From this thread:

For those unfamiliar with SManager here is a how-to for using the toggle script as it was intended.

On a PC:
1) Copy the script directly from the original post.
2) Then paste it into a text editor and save with the name "hdmi_toggle.sh"
On your Nexus 10:
3) Copy the "hdmi_toggle.sh" script from the PC to some directory on your N10.
4) Create the toggle state directory "/scdard/hdmi_toggle" on the Nexus 10 using any File Browser

In SManager:
1) Open SManager (it will start in file browser mode).
2) Navigate to the location you saved "hdmi_toggle.sh"
3) Select it and a pop-up window will appear
4) Make sure that "hdmi_toggle.sh" is set up as:
> "ls script" is selected (the default)
> Enter in the "Arguments" fields values such as: "/scdard/hdmi_toggle" "1920x1080"
5) Select Save then Exit

Adding the SManager Widget to the desktop:
1) Make sure you have installed the SMWidgets from the playstore
2) Add a SManager Widget to the desktop and a pop-up panel will appear (same as adding any desktop widget)
3) Select "Add one script widget"
4) Select "hdmi_toggle.sh"
5) Select "Yes" for the "Run widget in background?" pop-up (This may only be a feature of the "No Ads" paid version of SManager)

Click on the widget to test it out and it should toggle ON/OFF the resolution you specified in the SManager "Arguments" field. You can have as many of these widgets as you want to toggle specific resolutions. Using an icon change app to change the SManager widget icon to be consistent with your desk top theme.

[LINK]

Reactions: bubsterboo

bubsterboo

Aug 2, 2012
Wow perfect!

Thanks guys. That other thread seems more appropriate. I didn't see it before this post, sorry.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

wm size 1080x1920
    wm density 288

then reset with:
    wm size reset
    wm density reset

I feel like at the least. We could make this into a script. Or maybe even write into build.prop? Where are these changes being made?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Oh! From this thread:

For those unfamiliar with SManager here is a how-to for using the toggle script as it was intended.

On a PC:
    1) Copy the script directly from the original post.
    2) Then paste it into a text editor and save with the name "hdmi_toggle.sh"
    On your Nexus 10:
    3) Copy the "hdmi_toggle.sh" script from the PC to some directory on your N10.
    4) Create the toggle state directory "/scdard/hdmi_toggle" on the Nexus 10 using any File Browser

In SManager:
    1) Open SManager (it will start in file browser mode).
    2) Navigate to the location you saved "hdmi_toggle.sh"
    3) Select it and a pop-up window will appear
    4) Make sure that "hdmi_toggle.sh" is set up as:
    > "ls script" is selected (the default)
    > Enter in the "Arguments" fields values such as: "/scdard/hdmi_toggle" "1920x1080"
    5) Select Save then Exit

Adding the SManager Widget to the desktop:
    1) Make sure you have installed the SMWidgets from the playstore
    2) Add a SManager Widget to the desktop and a pop-up panel will appear (same as adding any desktop widget)
    3) Select "Add one script widget"
    4) Select "hdmi_toggle.sh"
    5) Select "Yes" for the "Run widget in background?" pop-up (This may only be a feature of the "No Ads" paid version of SManager)

Click on the widget to test it out and it should toggle ON/OFF the resolution you specified in the SManager "Arguments" field. You can have as many of these widgets as you want to toggle specific resolutions. Using an icon change app to change the SManager widget icon to be consistent with your desk top theme.

[LINK]
    Check this link in the Slimport adapter thread over in the accessories forum. There is an app that will automatically change aspect ratio when hmdi is connected. Root required of course.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45020514&postcount=101