[APP][UPDATE 8/31/13] KeepScreen v4.0 keep your device awake per active app

Search This thread

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
UPDATE: 8/31/13
KeepScreen v4.0

- Optimized keep awake method. No longer using wake lock (should be more reliable)
- Re-enabled notification icon for when the lock is active
- Removed luminosity as it does nothing :)
- Thanks guys prolly will be the last update :)

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DONATE :) THANKS!

Have fun guys :) any issues let me know!

imilic

Feb 19, 2013
Zagreb
flashed SlimKat 4.4.2. rom for S2, some apps are not working. for example - Browser, Facebook, Winamp. Other apps are working.

uscpsycho

Mar 25, 2011
I was just looking for an app like this and found this thread. There are a couple of apps out there but all of them are missing a feature that I am looking for.

I want a condition that a specific app will keep my device on but ONLY if it is also being charged. For example when I'm using a music player I'd like the screen to stay on so I can see track information, but only when my phone/tablet is plugged in. If it's not plugged in I don't want the screen sucking my battery dry.

There are several options for keeping your device on any time it is plugged in regardless of which apps are running but I don't want my screen on any time it is plugged in. I want my screen on only when certain apps are running AND the device is plugged in.

Any chance of adding that in? That would make this a truly unique app. Or if anyone knows about another app that has the functionality I'm looking for, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

uscpsycho

Mar 25, 2011
Sorry to bump this old thread again, but since I asked the question I thought I would answer it now that I found what I was looking for. Just in case anyone happens to come across this thread in the future, as I did.

There is an app in the Play store called Stay Alive: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.synetics.stay.alive&hl=en

This does everything I was asking for and more. Specifically, it gives you the ability to select certain apps to keep awake and then only keep the screen on IF the device is plugged in to external power.

vornado

Apr 18, 2011
I know this is a very old thread. I tried it on my unrooted Nexus 6 running stock 5.0.1 and it does not work. Any suggestions on what to use so my screen stays awake while I play Ingress?.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Hello
No special features, so long as it works. Thanks for your time.

No special requests and thanks in advance for your time.
Okay I am adding these three things cause I personally was looking for them:

- of course it will keep the screen on when certain apps are being used.

- ability to set brightness levels for certain apps.

- and ability to set rotation. Either default (not changed) use sensor or force either horizontal or vertical.

Of course you can only use one of those options per app.
I'll be making a new thread to and I'll post the new thread link here then.

Reactions: imilic and adl

adl

Dec 18, 2010
Sounds great! I only hope RAM / battery usage won't be much higher with those additional things. For screen rotation I have already another app, would be cool if I only need one app for both things now.

rnrstar

Apr 7, 2010
Okay I am adding these three things cause I personally was looking for them:

- of course it will keep the screen on when certain apps are being used.

- ability to set brightness levels for certain apps.

- and ability to set rotation. Either default (not changed) use sensor or force either horizontal or vertical.

Of course you can only use one of those options per app.
I'll be making a new thread to and I'll post the new thread link here then.

hi, just wondering if you ever got around to releasing the lollipop version or if you had decided to discontinue work on it? thanks and take care.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: finneko

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
hi, just wondering if you ever got around to releasing the lollipop version or if you had decided to discontinue work on it? thanks and take care.

I have it finished and have been using it for awhile now. There may be some quirks I wanted to work out before releasing, but have gotten very busy lately. I also am not sure if I want to release this to Google play with ads and have it free, or release it for a mere 99 cents while hosting a free version here on XDA. I completely rewrote the code naming the app "Screen Keeper". I will probably do the latter of the options I mentioned. So look out for an update soon (Hopefully)

rnrstar

Apr 7, 2010
I have it finished and have been using it for awhile now. There may be some quirks I wanted to work out before releasing, but have gotten very busy lately. I also am not sure if I want to release this to Google play with ads and have it free, or release it for a mere 99 cents while hosting a free version here on XDA. I completely rewrote the code naming the app "Screen Keeper". I will probably do the latter of the options I mentioned. So look out for an update soon (Hopefully)

thx for update. glad to see ur still on the project. will support u whichever way you choose to distribute. but do hope u include an ad free version :)

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
thx for update. glad to see ur still on the project. will support u whichever way you choose to distribute. but do hope u include an ad free version :)

I'm gonna make them both ad free. The one on play store will be like a "donate" version. Then i'll have a "free" version here.

But I am having issues with detecting some apps. So i'm going to have to resolve that first before releasing.

Reactions: adl

rnrstar

Apr 7, 2010

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***DELETE***

This app is now outdated. I am going to re-write it completely from scratch. I will obviously include the standard features, but is there anything else you users would like me to add?
    UPDATE: 8/31/13
    KeepScreen v4.0

- Optimized keep awake method. No longer using wake lock (should be more reliable)
    - Re-enabled notification icon for when the lock is active
    - Removed luminosity as it does nothing :)
    - Thanks guys prolly will be the last update :)

Have fun guys :) any issues let me know!
    COMPLETELY REWROTE SERVICE!!!

Completely rewrote the service! It is no longer using the old outdated method. This means that apps should NEVER timeout when you have it open. It is practically FLAWLESS! :)

I still need to clean up some things and enable the ability to stop it as well as enabling the notification option.
    OP Is updated!

UPDATE: 5/6/13

VERSION 3.0.0

- New auto restart. If the app dies, it will auto restart itself. If you are in an app which you have set to "Lock" the screen on, and the app dies, it MAY still shut off. I am working on a way to detect if the app died while locked and then restart holding a lock as well.

- New notification method. If you are running JB 4.1 or higher, you will NOT have an icon on the status bar all the time. However, if you are on ICS or lower, you will. This is probably the best version to ensure the app never dies.

However, if using the auto restart app. It shouldnt die so long as its holding a lock. Though, there is always the possibility of it dying.

If i had source code i could make this flawless. So i am trying my best! Thanks guys!

OP UPDATED!!!

Included a version which has on going notification. HUGE thanks to theos0o for finding my derp mistakes and teaching me something new :)

Here are screenshots of the notification.
    7u6a3uby.jpg

ymumudu3.jpg