[Guide] All about Caterpillar B15 (CAT Compal B15)

Search This thread

mexusbg

Jan 16, 2011
Sofia
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Code:
[B][COLOR="Red"]I don’t take any responsibility if you brick or damage your 
device following any of the steps in this guide. 
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. You may violate your warranty! 
By following this guide you agree to this conditions![/COLOR][/B]

Index:
POST #1:
I. How to Root / Backup your CAT B15
II. Enable init.d support (only for rooted devices)
III. Swap Phone Storage with SDCard (only for rooted devices)
IV. Entering the service menu
V. Changing the maximum output volume of the headphone output
VI. Enabling A-GPS and EPO

POST #2:
I. How to flash
II. Legend
III. Firmware links

I. Backup and Root:

Method 1: just for ROOT - Works with all version till now (1.041.0):
I recommend doing a FULL backup before rooting. Check method 2 for backup details!
Update your Android to the latest version
Install Framaroot. For more details see this thread.

Method 2
Prerequisites: Update your phone to the latest version. Download all the tools and drivers for the steps below from here.

1. Only for Windows Vista, 7 and 8: Disable driver signature enforcement (allows you to install the unsigned drivers). This is a very important step. Search google for your windows version!
2. On the phone go to Settings->Developer Options and Enable (put a tick on) USB debugging
3. Connect your phone to the PC and wait until the ADB driver installs automatically. If it fails manually install it from device manager->update driver and select the driver from the “ADB_driver” folder.
Then install the drivers from “MT6577 USB VCOM drivers” folder. Windows will tell you that it cannot verify the publisher of the driver. Select Install this driver software anyway on all the dialogs.
4. Execute MTKdroidTools.exe from “Mtk_Android2.4.3\MtkDroidTools”. The device should be detected in about 20 seconds. If it fails go step 1.
Once the phone is detected (picture 1) select Block Maps. Make a screenshot of the Block Maps screen and click on the Create scatter file button. Save the file in a safe place.

5. Execute Flash_tool.exe from “SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1304.0.119” folder.
In the download tab click on the Scatter-loading button and load the scatter file created with MTKdroidTools. Then go to the Read back tab. Delete all the entries if any are present.
The click the add button, this creates a blank entry. Double click on the blank entry. You will be asked where to save the file and then to enter the Start Address and Length select Read Method to be Read Page Only.
You find out the values from the screenshot you made before. I created a Sizes.txt file to help you out with the formatting – CHECK if the sizes and start addresses are the same for you!!!!!!!
It’s recommended to add all the partitions (making a full backup) but you can just add recovery.img and boot.img
Turn off your phone. Unplug it from the computer. Remove the battery. Press Read Back button. Holding the Volume Up and Power button together plug the cable to the phone and computer. Once you see a progress in the SP Flash Tool you can release the buttons.
You will see a green circle the progress is complete (Recovery and Boot read back will take few seconds, full backup will take around an hour). Unplug your phone. Make an archive of the backed up files (zip/rar/7zip) so that the files don’t get modified by mistake.

6. Power on the phone. Connect to PC. Adb should be enabled.
Execute MTKdroidTools.exe from “Mtk_Android2.4.3\MtkDroidTools” and wait for the phone to be recognized, in the root, backup, recovery tab and click “Recovery and Boot” button. Select the boot.img from previous step, you will be asked to make a CWM recovery automatically – choose NO and select the recovery.img from the previous step. If it asks to install created recovery to phone choose NO. Close the program.

7. Power off the phone. Disconnect the cable and remove the battery.
Execute Flash_tool.exe from “SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1304.0.119” folder. In the download tab click on the Scatter-loading button and load the scatter file created in step 4.
Leave the checkboxes on BOOTIMG and RECOVERY. Double click on them and select the modified boot.img and recovery.img (they are located in Mtk_Android2.4.3\MtkDroidTools\recovery). Press the Download button, when a message appears saying that not all images are not loaded correctly press YES.
Holding the Volume Up button and Power button simultaneously plug the USB cable.
After the green circle appears remove the cable.

8. Power on the phone. Connect to PC, Execute MTKdroidTools.exe from “Mtk_Android2.4.3\MtkDroidTools” and wait for the phone to be recognized, in the root, backup, recovery tab the “SuperUser”, “Build.prop” and “Delete china” buttons should be active. Press the “SuperUser” button. Now your phone is rooted.

9. Repeat step 7 but use the files from step 5 (unmodified boot.img and recovery.img).

NOTES: Doing a backup doesn’t violate your warranty. Having a backup is a must. OTA firmware updates checks if some of the system files are modified (build.prop and others take a look at the update-script for details). No not integrate update of system apps to rom (using Titanium backup or similar). If you cannot update OTA the use the backup from step 5 to restore your original firmware.

II. Enable init.d support (only for rooted devices):
Install init.d toggler from Play Store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.broodplank.initdtoggler
Note: If someone managed to get init.d support manually please post the steps so I can add it as an alternative method.

III. Swap Phone Storage with SDCard (only for rooted devices):
1. Make a backup (apps, media, contacts)
2. Do a factory reset
3. Using a root explorer (ES File Browser, Root Explorer or other) go to folder /system/etc
edit vold.fstab:

change:

Code:
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

to:

Code:
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

edit vold.fstab.nand

change:

Code:
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host

to
Code:
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

WARNING: NEVER remove the SDCARD while the phone is running!!!! Never power on the phone without an SDCARD!!!!

IV. Entering the service menu:
Open the dialer (where you dial phone numbers) and enter:
*#*#3646633#*#*

V. Changing the maximum output volume of the headphone output:
1. Enter the service menu (chapter IV. In this guide)
2. Select the Hardware Testing tab and navigate to Audio -> Headset mode
3. Select Level: Level 6 and change the Max Vol. field to the desired value and press the Set button. I recommend a maximum value of 150 (the absolute maximum is 160).
You can also edit the loudspeaker volume (from LoudSpeaker Mode) or the phone volume (from Normal Mode).

A) Easy method: Settings -> Location access click on GPS satellites (the text NOT the ON/Off button).
Enable A-GPS/EPO.|
B) Service menu method: Enter service menu -> Location -> Location Based Service
Here you have the AGPS and EPO tabs – use the enable checkboxes

Last edited:

mexusbg

Jan 16, 2011
Sofia
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Please upload your phone backups and post links in this thread:

I. Flashing firmware with SP Flash Tool.

Check chapter I of previous post for tools link.
II. Flashing pretty much the same as step 7 of chapter I in first post. You load the scatter file and then load the files if they are not loaded (double click and pointing to the corresponding file).
I strongly recommend to do a full backup of the phone before flashing! (If you don't already have one)
You need to flash the following files: MBR, EBR1, UBOOT, RECOVERY, SEC_RO, LOGO, ANDROID (they must be ticked and correct files shoud be loaded).
DO NOT FLASH: PRELOADER, DSP_BL.
You don't need CACHE and USRDATA (if it's not your own backup)

II. Legend:
EMEA = Europe, the Middle East and Africa (Region Code)
DS = Dual Sim
SS = Single Sim

III. Firmware download links:

EMEA DS.1.041.0 Unrooted (Factory/Virgin/Stock) Thanks to Wedee (TESTED) :
Original link (zip)

Mirror (I have removed the preloader and dsp_bl but haven't tested this backup):
Zippyshare Part1 (7zip)
Zippyshare Part2 (7zip)

EMEA DS.1.041.0 Rooted from my phone (TESTED):
Zippyshare PART 1 (7zip)
Zippyshare PART 2 (7zip)

Last edited:

Citruspers

Jan 10, 2012
www.westerbeek.biz
Nice one mate! I for one didn't know about the service menu and I found the headphone volume with high-impedance headphones to be a bit lacking.

One thing to add: improve GPS performance: http://www.gizchina.com/2013/07/23/how-to-fix-poor-gps-on-mediatek-phones/
A-GPS and EPO are disabled by default on some phones -_-

Another thing: you can tweak the camera output to "raw" which apparently gets rid of most compression, and the overzealous noise reductio:

Service menu>camera>raw capture mode: capture mode
Service menu>camera>raw type: pure raw

Currently experimenting with this.
EDIT: camera settings are only honored in the debug camera app. :(

Last edited:

pubbapubba

Aug 3, 2010
Could somebody upload EMEA dual sim stock recovery to i.e. dropbox or somewhere else? I am not able to upgrade after root anymore. Tried to flash back original boot and recovery and remover supersu. No lucky :crying:

mexusbg

Jan 16, 2011
Sofia
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Could somebody upload EMEA dual sim stock recovery to i.e. dropbox or somewhere else? I am not able to upgrade after root anymore. Tried to flash back original boot and recovery and remover supersu. No lucky :crying:

pubbapubba you have modified some system files that's why your phone fails the update checksum progress.
Sorry I don't have a phone without root, but you can update to the latest version (1.041.0) from the second post of this thread (just uploaded minutes ago) but it's ROOTED.
Flash ONLY the following files: BOOTIMG, RECOVERY, ANDROID, UBOOT, LOGO, SEC_RO!!!

Nice one mate! I for one didn't know about the service menu and I found the headphone volume with high-impedance headphones to be a bit lacking.

Citruspers, I will add the GPS and other tweaks when I have time to properly describe all the options

Last edited:
Reactions: pubbapubba

Wedee

Dec 25, 2010
Thanks for the detailed guide!

When I am running the flash_tool two things happen...

1. My "Read Flag" column is a check box radio with N/A beside it. Not like what your screen shot shows.
2. I can add the starting and length for each item, but the last errors out saying "[Warning] Read back address is adjusted to 512 byte alignment. For the last item "bmtpool" (I have manually typed the values and also cut and pasted your text file entries. My scatter file has the exact same start and length as your guide.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

EDIT: I tried several times and with changing nothing I now have the Read Flag choices and was able to set page only. I am still getting a Warning on the last item, but the values stuck... am now going to perform the backup and see how it goes.

Ahh... the selecting of the scatter file is the difference. If I load the scatter file first I have no Read Flag choices, if I leave it blank I do. The scatter file changes to EMMC and gets rid of the Read Flag choices.

EDIT: Also just realized I did not upgrade the firmware to 1.41 so am doing that now. (My original CATB15 came with 1.41, this is a replacement brand new out of box and it needed to be upgraded. Will see if that makes any difference.

EDIT: I upgraded firmware and ran it anyway. Was able to root the phone following the steps... Thanks for the guide.. Only thing I saw so far is I would not load the scatter file first in step 5.... as this removes the ability to set the Read Flag choices, although they get overwritten when you do load the scatter file in your screenshot as well.

Last edited:

tedy_lv

Sep 15, 2013
CAT B15 Dual-SIM Stock Firmware 1.041.0 NOT ROOTED

Hi everybody. I have just managed to backup my B15.
The phone is still NOT ROOTED , and the firmware version is EMEA_DS.1.041.0 .

As I am new to this forum, I am not allowed to post external links and the file size is beyond the allowed attachment size.

If someone is interested about the files please contact me.

Last edited:
Reactions: cangrejon

cangrejon

Feb 21, 2011
Lima
hello friends, sorry for my bad English, I speak Spanish-
1.- thanks friend, because I was able to root my CAT B15 , all ok :fingers-crossed::D
2.- I have my original files : BOOT.IMG , RECOVERY.IMG , if I want to put the factory - VERSION ORIGINAL (not root), as would do?
3.- if in the future tells me that an update is normally update or give me error?.

thanks

Last edited:

mexusbg

Jan 16, 2011
Sofia
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro

As I am new to this forum, I am not allowed to post external links and the file size is beyond the allowed attachment size.

Please send the link to my e-mail: mexus(at)abv.bg ( (at) = @) or PM me. I recommend uploading it to zippyshare.com (fast download, upload - you may have to archive it and split the archives - maxiumum upload size is 200MB per file)

hello friends, sorry for my bad English, I speak Spanish-
1.- thanks friend, because I was able to root my CAT B15 , all ok :fingers-crossed::D
2.- I have my original files : BOOT.IMG , RECOVERY.IMG , if I want to put the factory - VERSION ORIGINAL (not root), as would do?
3.- if in the future tells me that an update is normally update or give me error?.

thanks
1. Which method. Famaroot or the tested one?

2. If you want to put the factory version you must have a backup of a factory firmware. I'm waiting for factory (as I call them "virgin" firmwares)

3. You SOULD (not 100% guaranteed) be able to update after root IF you don't modify the build.prop, the framework and library files (in system) and the /system/apps folder. You can add files to system but DO NOT replace, modify system files! Do NOT integrate system app ugrades to system. I'll add the full list of files that SHOULD NOT be modified for the OTA updates to work - when I have time!

EDIT: Unrooted firmware added to second post. It's EMEA DS 1.1041.0. Thanks to Wedee. Please confirm if the firmware works (on DUAL SIM phone ;) It may brick Single Sim)

Last edited:

cangrejon

Feb 21, 2011
Lima

II. Flashing pretty much the same as step 7 of chapter I in first post. You load the scatter file and then load the files if they are not loaded (double click and pointing to the corresponding file).
I strongly recommend to do a full backup of the phone before flashing! (If you don't already have one)
You need to flash the following files: MBR, EBR1, UBOOT, RECOVERY, SEC_RO, LOGO, ANDROID (they must be ticked and correct files shoud be loaded).

II. Legend:
DS = Dual Sim
SS = Single Sim

EMEA DS.1.041.0 Unrooted (Factory/Virgin/Stock) Thanks to Wedee (Untested) Should work. Please confirm!:
Original link (zip)

Mirror (I have removed the preloader and dsp_bl but haven't tested this backup):
Zippyshare Part1 (7zip)
Zippyshare Part2 (7zip)

EMEA DS 1.041 Unrooted (Factory/Virgin/Stock) Thanks to tedy_lv (Untested) Should work. Please confirm!:
Original link Zippyshare (rar)

Zippyshare PART 1 (7zip)
Zippyshare PART 2 (7zip)

someone tested ???
thks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    [B][COLOR="Red"]I don’t take any responsibility if you brick or damage your 
    device following any of the steps in this guide. 
    USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. You may violate your warranty! 
    By following this guide you agree to this conditions![/COLOR][/B]

Index:
    POST #1:
    I. How to Root / Backup your CAT B15
    II. Enable init.d support (only for rooted devices)
    III. Swap Phone Storage with SDCard (only for rooted devices)
    IV. Entering the service menu
    V. Changing the maximum output volume of the headphone output

POST #2:
    I. How to flash
    II. Legend
    III. Firmware links

I. Backup and Root:

Method 1: just for ROOT - Works with all version till now (1.041.0):
    I recommend doing a FULL backup before rooting. Check method 2 for backup details!
    Update your Android to the latest version
    Install Framaroot. For more details see this thread.

Method 2
    Prerequisites: Update your phone to the latest version. Download all the tools and drivers for the steps below from here.

1. Only for Windows Vista, 7 and 8: Disable driver signature enforcement (allows you to install the unsigned drivers). This is a very important step. Search google for your windows version!
    2. On the phone go to Settings->Developer Options and Enable (put a tick on) USB debugging
    3. Connect your phone to the PC and wait until the ADB driver installs automatically. If it fails manually install it from device manager->update driver and select the driver from the “ADB_driver” folder.
    Then install the drivers from “MT6577 USB VCOM drivers” folder. Windows will tell you that it cannot verify the publisher of the driver. Select Install this driver software anyway on all the dialogs.
    4. Execute MTKdroidTools.exe from “Mtk_Android2.4.3\MtkDroidTools”. The device should be detected in about 20 seconds. If it fails go step 1.
    Once the phone is detected (picture 1) select Block Maps. Make a screenshot of the Block Maps screen and click on the Create scatter file button. Save the file in a safe place.

5. Execute Flash_tool.exe from “SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1304.0.119” folder.
    In the download tab click on the Scatter-loading button and load the scatter file created with MTKdroidTools. Then go to the Read back tab. Delete all the entries if any are present.
    The click the add button, this creates a blank entry. Double click on the blank entry. You will be asked where to save the file and then to enter the Start Address and Length select Read Method to be Read Page Only.
    You find out the values from the screenshot you made before. I created a Sizes.txt file to help you out with the formatting – CHECK if the sizes and start addresses are the same for you!!!!!!!
    It’s recommended to add all the partitions (making a full backup) but you can just add recovery.img and boot.img
    Turn off your phone. Unplug it from the computer. Remove the battery. Press Read Back button. Holding the Volume Up and Power button together plug the cable to the phone and computer. Once you see a progress in the SP Flash Tool you can release the buttons.
    You will see a green circle the progress is complete (Recovery and Boot read back will take few seconds, full backup will take around an hour). Unplug your phone. Make an archive of the backed up files (zip/rar/7zip) so that the files don’t get modified by mistake.

6. Power on the phone. Connect to PC. Adb should be enabled.
    Execute MTKdroidTools.exe from “Mtk_Android2.4.3\MtkDroidTools” and wait for the phone to be recognized, in the root, backup, recovery tab and click “Recovery and Boot” button. Select the boot.img from previous step, you will be asked to make a CWM recovery automatically – choose NO and select the recovery.img from the previous step. If it asks to install created recovery to phone choose NO. Close the program.

7. Power off the phone. Disconnect the cable and remove the battery.
    Execute Flash_tool.exe from “SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1304.0.119” folder. In the download tab click on the Scatter-loading button and load the scatter file created in step 4.
    Leave the checkboxes on BOOTIMG and RECOVERY. Double click on them and select the modified boot.img and recovery.img (they are located in Mtk_Android2.4.3\MtkDroidTools\recovery). Press the Download button, when a message appears saying that not all images are not loaded correctly press YES.
    Holding the Volume Up button and Power button simultaneously plug the USB cable.
    After the green circle appears remove the cable.

8. Power on the phone. Connect to PC, Execute MTKdroidTools.exe from “Mtk_Android2.4.3\MtkDroidTools” and wait for the phone to be recognized, in the root, backup, recovery tab the “SuperUser”, “Build.prop” and “Delete china” buttons should be active. Press the “SuperUser” button. Now your phone is rooted.

9. Repeat step 7 but use the files from step 5 (unmodified boot.img and recovery.img).

NOTES: Doing a backup doesn’t violate your warranty. Having a backup is a must. OTA firmware updates checks if some of the system files are modified (build.prop and others take a look at the update-script for details). No not integrate update of system apps to rom (using Titanium backup or similar). If you cannot update OTA the use the backup from step 5 to restore your original firmware.

II. Enable init.d support (only for rooted devices):
    Install init.d toggler from Play Store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.broodplank.initdtoggler
    Note: If someone managed to get init.d support manually please post the steps so I can add it as an alternative method.

III. Swap Phone Storage with SDCard (only for rooted devices):
    1. Make a backup (apps, media, contacts)
    2. Do a factory reset
    3. Using a root explorer (ES File Browser, Root Explorer or other) go to folder /system/etc
    edit vold.fstab:

change:

Code:
    dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
    dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

to:

Code:
    dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
    dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

edit vold.fstab.nand

change:

Code:
    dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host

to
    Code:
    dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

WARNING: NEVER remove the SDCARD while the phone is running!!!! Never power on the phone without an SDCARD!!!!

IV. Entering the service menu:
    Open the dialer (where you dial phone numbers) and enter:
    *#*#3646633#*#*

V. Changing the maximum output volume of the headphone output:
    1. Enter the service menu (chapter IV. In this guide)
    2. Select the Hardware Testing tab and navigate to Audio -> Headset mode
    3. Select Level: Level 6 and change the Max Vol. field to the desired value and press the Set button. I recommend a maximum value of 150 (the absolute maximum is 160).
    You can also edit the loudspeaker volume (from LoudSpeaker Mode) or the phone volume (from Normal Mode).

A) Easy method: Settings -> Location access click on GPS satellites (the text NOT the ON/Off button).
    Enable A-GPS/EPO.|
    B) Service menu method: Enter service menu -> Location -> Location Based Service
    Here you have the AGPS and EPO tabs – use the enable checkboxes

II. Legend:
    DS = Dual Sim
    SS = Single Sim

EMEA DS.1.041.0 Unrooted (Factory/Virgin/Stock) Thanks to Wedee (TESTED) :
    Original link (zip)

Zippyshare Part1 (7zip)
    Zippyshare Part2 (7zip)

Zippyshare PART 1 (7zip)
    Zippyshare PART 2 (7zip)
    Attached a screen shot...

pubbapubba you have modified some system files that's why your phone fails the update checksum progress.
    Sorry I don't have a phone without root, but you can update to the latest version (1.041.0) from the second post of this thread (just uploaded minutes ago) but it's ROOTED.
    Flash ONLY the following files: BOOTIMG, RECOVERY, ANDROID, UBOOT, LOGO, SEC_RO!!!

Citruspers, I will add the GPS and other tweaks when I have time to properly describe all the options
    CAT B15 Dual-SIM Stock Firmware 1.041.0 NOT ROOTED