Screen locks immediately during calls - proximity sensor not working?

Search This thread

Sirchuk

Jul 12, 2009
I have two SGS4's. On one, when I place a call, the call screen stays on and it turns off when I raise it to my ear. It then turns on when I pull it away.

On the other, as soon as I place I call the screen goes dark. The only way to get it back is to push the power button and unlock the phone.

The "Turn screen off during a call" setting is set on both phones.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this? Next step is to do a wipe, but that just sucks.

I'm on stock and not rooted.

Thanks!

jprocket45

Jan 12, 2013
Sadly I have the same issue on mine but not my wifes.... hope somebody knows something or maybe the rumored update thats going to be coming out will have a fix?? I dunno...

Sirchuk

Jul 12, 2009
Sadly I have the same issue on mine but not my wifes.... hope somebody knows something or maybe the rumored update thats going to be coming out will have a fix?? I dunno...

Have you tried doing a reset yet? I'm hesitant since it's a pain to restore everything the way I like it. Definitely a weekend task.

jprocket45

Jan 12, 2013
Have you tried doing a reset yet? I'm hesitant since it's a pain to restore everything the way I like it. Definitely a weekend task.

I have done a reset it solved it a little I guess but still having issues once in a great while all works well id blame it on the otterbox case but my wife has one so dunno if that could be the issue you have a case on urs never really played with the phone outside of the case lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Sirchuk

Jul 12, 2009
I have done a reset it solved it a little I guess but still having issues once in a great while all works well id blame it on the otterbox case but my wife has one so dunno if that could be the issue you have a case on urs never really played with the phone outside of the case lol

Nope, mine is naked for now. I'll have to do a reset today/tomorrow and see if that solves my issue. If not, I'm taking back to the store for an exchange. It's only been a couple of weeks.

jprocket45

Jan 12, 2013
To late for me to take it back but suppose to be a update coming soon that does alot of fixes so we will see Good luck like I said reset I did notice fixed it a bit let me know how it goes I'm threw sprint just curious if you have them only reason I ask if it's just a carrier issue with software or something I doubt it but just figured to see who you had lol

Sirchuk

Jul 12, 2009
Dial *#7353# and make a test

sent from my Galaxy

That's what I was looking for!

Sure enough,the proximity sensor was always on and wouldn't go off.

I'm with T-Mobile and they have a 30 return/exchange policy if you buy it outright, which I had, so it only took about 10 minutes for them to exchange it!

Thanks for the testing code! XDA comes through once again!

TommyTheGun

Dec 17, 2008
Same problem when I'm making a call, the screen goes blank when I put it to my head and when I remove it nothing happens.

I tried *#7353# and the proximity sensor goes of but will not stop..

I'm currently rooted, could it solve the problem to go back to stock?

chriskerper

Aug 5, 2008
Akron
Possible Fix

I have had the same problem over the last 3 weeks and decided to take a gamble. I tightened up all the screws on the device and squeezed real hard on the area where the prox sensor is and poof... it works. I have no idea what was up but I feel like the sensor is loose and the pressure resolved the issue. Many other post have talked about cleaning the area over the prox real good and it works but I think its the pressure that is actually fixing the issue. Anyone else have any ideas? Sorry if this was posted incorrectly, I have never posted before but I felt this issue is a PITA.

divche

Oct 6, 2012
I have i9500. Unrooted with latest OTA update installed (Build XXUBMG1).

I've been having the same problem with proximity sensor. When proximity sensor is enabled during phone calls (both regular calls and Viber calls), the screen is disabled. Also, my screen sometimes remains on during the call until I place it to my ear and sometimes it turns off immediately during the call. It wasn't always like this, but I can't remember when it started happening, but I suspect it was since the last OTA update.

I've searched around online and have noticed several comments.

Apparently this is an issue with several Galaxy models over the years (sorry, I lost the reference) and this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2208440&page=2 mentions Galaxy Note 2 and SGS3 having the issue where there is something wrong with the threshold setting in the calibration settings. Mine appears to have the same issue where it always reads 0cm (i.e. always covered). However this thread also suggests a fix to input some code to adjust the calibration if your phone is rooted.

One suggestion is there is a misalignment of the sensor and so it might be partially covered by the phone's front fascia, causing the sensor to always read as covered or "1" or 0cm. But looking carefully at mine, it looks centred dead-on.

This thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2417401 indicates that the sensor is always on as can be seen through a digital camera LCD (but not with your naked eye). I've tried this with my DSLR and confirmed this also happens with mine, even when the option is set to turn it off during calls, and also even when air gesture (which uses the prox sensor) is turned off. Not sure if this affects the problem or not though.

Can't remember where I read this, but someone mentioned that when shining a bright light over the phone, it works. So I downloaded two sensor apps from Google Play: Android Sensor Box, and Proximity Sensor Finder. And also used the inbuilt *#7353* feature. All three report that my proximity sensor is always reading that something is constantly covering it..... EXCEPT when a bright light (the sun works) is shining on the light sensor - not the proximity sensor. I tested this by using a torch on both sensors. When blocking light from the light sensor, the problem persists, but not when I allow the light to shine on the sensor. So it appears that they both act in unison.

Similar issue with air gestures, which used to work when my phone was new, even in relatively ambient light (but obviously not in a dark room), but now doesn't under similar conditions, and again... EXCEPT when a bright light is shining on the light sensor, or when I'm out in the sun.

Anyway, I'm not willing to root my phone at this point, just to try the fix suggested in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2208440&page=2 (my phone was bought overseas and returning it wouldn't be convenient for me). And since this wasn't always a problem with my phone, I suspect it is a software problem related to one of the recent OTA updates.

Edit: After further testing, it seems that air gestures use the front camera as well as the light and proximity sensors.

Last edited:

Hubris2

Mar 21, 2013
My proximity sensor works - when I go into diagnostic, it goes green when I bring a hand near the sensor - my issue is that it doesn't seem to notice when I remove my hand and there no longer is anything proximal - until I hit the back button to exit the test. Other than blowing out the earphone jack, does anyone have a suggestion?
Thx.

I have i9500. Unrooted with latest OTA update installed (Build XXUBMG1).

I've been having the same problem with proximity sensor. When proximity sensor is enabled during phone calls (both regular calls and Viber calls), the screen is disabled. Also, my screen sometimes remains on during the call until I place it to my ear and sometimes it turns off immediately during the call. It wasn't always like this, but I can't remember when it started happening, but I suspect it was since the last OTA update.

I've searched around online and have noticed several comments.

Apparently this is an issue with several Galaxy models over the years (sorry, I lost the reference) and this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2208440&page=2 mentions Galaxy Note 2 and SGS3 having the issue where there is something wrong with the threshold setting in the calibration settings. Mine appears to have the same issue where it always reads 0cm (i.e. always covered). However this thread also suggests a fix to input some code to adjust the calibration if your phone is rooted.

One suggestion is there is a misalignment of the sensor and so it might be partially covered by the phone's front fascia, causing the sensor to always read as covered or "1" or 0cm. But looking carefully at mine, it looks centred dead-on.

This thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2417401 indicates that the sensor is always on as can be seen through a digital camera LCD (but not with your naked eye). I've tried this with my DSLR and confirmed this also happens with mine, even when the option is set to turn it off during calls, and also even when air gesture (which uses the prox sensor) is turned off. Not sure if this affects the problem or not though.

Can't remember where I read this, but someone mentioned that when shining a bright light over the phone, it works. So I downloaded two sensor apps from Google Play: Android Sensor Box, and Proximity Sensor Finder. And also used the inbuilt *#7353* feature. All three report that my proximity sensor is always reading that something is constantly covering it..... EXCEPT when a bright light (the sun works) is shining on the light sensor - not the proximity sensor. I tested this by using a torch on both sensors. When blocking light from the light sensor, the problem persists, but not when I allow the light to shine on the sensor. So it appears that they both act in unison.

Similar issue with air gestures, which used to work when my phone was new, even in relatively ambient light (but obviously not in a dark room), but now doesn't under similar conditions, and again... EXCEPT when a bright light is shining on the light sensor, or when I'm out in the sun.

Anyway, I'm not willing to root my phone at this point, just to try the fix suggested in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2208440&page=2 (my phone was bought overseas and returning it wouldn't be convenient for me). And since this wasn't always a problem with my phone, I suspect it is a software problem related to one of the recent OTA updates.

Edit: After further testing, it seems that air gestures use the front camera as well as the light and proximity sensors.

marduj5

Aug 16, 2012
Proximity sensor

I had problem with proximity sensor in my galaxy s3 mini but my rear camera had error and fc also.I tried everything and nothing work.Finaly I open device and disconect camera and connect it again and camera started to work.But for my suprise proximity sensor now works perfect and I did not touch it.I can't explain what happend but I am happy.

Hubris2

Mar 21, 2013
I guess what it comes down to is.....for some you can reset the sensor, for some they can blow it out with compressed air, but others actually have to take apart their phone to fix this issue.

I had problem with proximity sensor in my galaxy s3 mini but my rear camera had error and fc also.I tried everything and nothing work.Finaly I open device and disconect camera and connect it again and camera started to work.But for my suprise proximity sensor now works perfect and I did not touch it.I can't explain what happend but I am happy.

Hubris2

Mar 21, 2013
I think I summarized the available solutions just before your post. There is no single thing which always works, you'll need to go through and see which fixes yours. This happens primarily because of hardware, with the sensor getting dirty - so it comes down to how invasive the procedure to clean it.

i have the same problem. any solution guys ? :confused:

( BTW - im on NB3 INS firmware )

Shohat

Mar 16, 2014
modiin
I think I summarized the available solutions just before your post. There is no single thing which always works, you'll need to go through and see which fixes yours. This happens primarily because of hardware, with the sensor getting dirty - so it comes down to how invasive the procedure to clean it.

i'm sorry. i already tried your first solution and it worked like charm ! thank you ! :good:

Top Liked Posts