[APP] Voodoo OTA RootKeeper (and temporary un-root)

Search This thread

hutilicious

Jul 8, 2013
GER
It did work for me, I had rooted .423 Now I updated OTA and still have root, bootloader locked btw. It won't work for unlocked bootloader of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Didnt worked for me same status: root,locked.
However, I updated my phone using PC software. Now everything is gone. How can I get recovery without having root access? Can I NUT Dual Recovery without having a rooted phone?

eawert

Nov 22, 2008
Wierden
Didnt worked for me same status: root,locked.
However, I updated my phone using PC software. Now everything is gone. How can I get recovery without having root access? Can I NUT Dual Recovery without having a rooted phone?

No, you can't. You have to be rooted. If you are rooted, never update with SEUS or PC Company. You always loose root. Update via OTA keeps root.

Sent from my Xperia Z

PLinga

Nov 30, 2010
Koushik's Superuser has been updated with support for 4.3. Does this open up the possibility of support from Voodoo for saving root while updating from 4.2 to 4.3?

hester1902

Aug 15, 2013
Still in 'Custom' mode

Hi,

I am using GT i9505 LTE. I have installed Voodoo Rootkeeper and unrooted my device. The tick box is now showing as being unrooted. When I attempt to use root apps it tells me device is not rooted. I have now tried to download update OTA and it tells me i am unable to do this due to my device being modified?

I have re applied root and the un rooted but it has not enabled me to download OTA update.

I have used the following link to ensure I am following the correct steps.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-applications/168411-how-use-voodoo-rootkeeper.html

My device is showing as not being rooted however when I go into device status it still says 'Custom' I have read that busybox may be the culprit. I uninstalled busybox and rebooted then tried to unroot again followed by a reboot. When I reboot my device returns to rooted status. I then unroot but still device status is 'Custom'

By the way I am on 4.2.2 stock firmware. I rooted using CF auto root.

Additional thought - the fact I have nobloat installed and have removed a significant number of my bloatware apps - could this be why I am still in custom mode?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Chelabk

Sep 12, 2013
I've seen similar, but not identical, posts in this thread, so I thought I'd ask...I used RootKeeper 2.0.3 and took the Sprint OTA (ICS) on HTC Evo 4g LTE, but can't seem to get root back.

Superuser app installed [*]
Device rooted [ ]
Root permission granted [ ]
/system supports root protection [*]
Protected su copy available [*]

Clicking "Restore root" gives me:
root su restored
Voodoo OTA RootKeeper has been granted superuser permissions for an interactive shell

However, nothing seems to change. Titanium Backup cannot run and button still says "Restore root" (If I click again, phone reboots). SuperSU says there's no SU binary installed. Am I hosed? Thanks for any help!

landstander

Nov 2, 2009
KC metro area
Clicking "Restore root" gives me:
root su restored
Voodoo OTA RootKeeper has been granted superuser permissions for an interactive shell

However, nothing seems to change. Titanium Backup cannot run and button still says "Restore root" (If I click again, phone reboots). SuperSU says there's no SU binary installed. Am I hosed? Thanks for any help!

My wife's Transformer Infinity exhibited basically the same behaviour after its last 2 updates (both 4.2.something, IIRC). Fortunately the backup copy of su was intact, as it likely is in your case, and I was able to restore it manually using a terminal emulater app... adb would presumably have worked as well, but my notebook wasn't available at the time. Here's what I did.

• Launch the terminal emulater of your choice (I used Better Terminal Emulater Pro, but the specific app probably doesn't matter)
  • Go to the location of the backup copy.
cd /system/usr/we-need-root​
  • Use the su backup to obtain a root shell. This should trigger the usual superuser popup/notification, assuming that it's configured to do so.
./su-backup -​
  • Remount the /system partition in read/write mode.
mount -o remount,rw /system​
  • Copy the su backup to the proper location, taking care to keep the permissions intact.
cp -p su-backup /system/xbin/su​
  • Remount the /system partition in the normal, read-only mode.
mount -o remount,ro /system​
  • Reboot the device (might not be strictly required), to ensure that any root-enabled background apps are able to startup cleanly.

The usual disclaimers apply, of course. Your device might not have the same configuration as mine, etc., so these commands may need some tweaking. Also, if it was a 4.3 upgrade which caused you to lose root then this procedure likely won't work... I believe that su needs to be running in daemon mode in order to grant privileges, which certainly won't be the case for the backup copy (even if it is a 4.3-compatible version).

Last edited:

Chelabk

Sep 12, 2013
My wife's Transformer Infinity exhibited basically the same behaviour after its last 2 updates (both 4.2.something, IIRC). Fortunately the backup copy of su was intact, as it likely is in your case, and I was able to restore it manually using a terminal emulater app... adb would presumably have worked as well, but my notebook wasn't available at the time. Here's what I did.

• Launch the terminal emulater of your choice (I used Better Terminal Emulater Pro, but the specific app probably doesn't matter)
  • Go to the location of the backup copy.
cd /system/usr/we-need-root​
  • Use the su backup to obtain a root shell. This should trigger the usual superuser popup/notification, assuming that it's configured to do so.
./su-backup -​
  • Remount the /system partition in read/write mode.
mount -o remount,rw /system​
  • Copy the su backup to the proper location, taking care to keep the permissions intact.
cp -p su-backup /system/xbin/su​
  • Remount the /system partition in the normal, read-only mode.
mount -o remount,ro /system​
  • Reboot the device (might not be strictly required), to ensure that any root-enabled background apps are able to startup cleanly.

The usual disclaimers apply, of course. Your device might not have the same configuration as mine, etc., so these commands may need some tweaking. Also, if it was a 4.3 upgrade which caused you to lose root then this procedure likely won't work... I believe that su needs to be running in daemon mode in order to grant privileges, which certainly won't be the case for the backup copy (even if it is a 4.3-compatible version).

Thanks for the info. That's all a bit new to me, but I'll give it a shot. Disclaimers duly noted. ;) And no, this wasn't 4.3. I already saw that caveat. Thanks again!

Kockowan

Sep 7, 2010
Short question from a rootkeeper newbie... :eek:

After first installing rootkeeper it shows my configuration as published in attached screenshot.
Option "Protected su copy available" is NOT checked. What is the meaning of this?

And: Is root reactivated automatically after "Protect root" and OTA update or can it be restored "by hand"?

(Maybee used rooting app is working also with new firmware after update, so no need for rootkeeper...)

Attachments

• rootkeeper.jpg
    rootkeeper.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 434

gurami

Oct 16, 2007
unroot from terminal?

Hello,

Would it be possible to run voodoo root keeper from a terminal emulator with an option to temporary unroot (ie -t) and another option to root again?
I am talking about a script to:

root
do something using terminal
temporary unroot

Thank you

WaltA

Nov 26, 2008
After first installing rootkeeper it shows my configuration as published in attached screenshot.
Option "Protected su copy available" is NOT checked. What is the meaning of this?

And: Is root reactivated automatically after "Protect root" and OTA update or can it be restored "by hand"?

Ditto. +1

And let me add ...

I click on "Protect Root"

I get a msg popup of "root su protected"

But the box after "Protected su copy available" remains forever unchecked.

So, am I really protected or not? :confused:

sweetdreams12

Aug 26, 2013
so I actually rooted my phone but want it unrooted

I deleted the superuser apk and also the binary for su but ota still has the /system supports root box checked.

am I missing something?

WaltA

Nov 26, 2008
OTA RootKeeper Help Requested

(Maybee used rooting app is working also with new firmware after update, so no need for rootkeeper...)
Ditto. +1

And let me add ...

I click on "Protect Root"

I get a msg popup of "root su protected"

But the box after "Protected su copy available" remains forever unchecked.

So, am I really protected or not? :confused:

Still hoping for some help with this.... :angel:

Last edited:

LucidSomnia

May 28, 2011
Paphos
Noob question, I run this app on my nexus 7 2013, i grant su permissions, but when the app starts the device rooted box is unchecked. I am definitely rooted. What can the prob be? Btw i have supersu by chainfire.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

WaltA

Nov 26, 2008

I stumbled upon a solution to this. :fingers-crossed:

I got a msg that the binary for SuperSU needed to be updated. I tried to allow it to be done normally, but that failed. So, I tried the offered alternative method. Apparently, this involved some kind of a re-boot. This worked. :good:

Later, when I checked VooDoo, tried once again "Protect root", and IT WORKED. The check box after "Protected su copy available" is now checked, and I am offered "Delete su-backup" and "Temp. un-root". YEA!

Also, PwnMyMoto now reports "Device is rooted" instead of RW Bypass...something. Never knew why, but I had root so it didn't concern me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Everyone :)

Because I'm lazy and was tired re-rooting manually my devices after installing manufacturers OTA updates, I wrote an app that protects root in one touch event.
    It is available for free on Android market and its source code is Open Source under WTFPL (github).

Translations and code contributions are welcome.

Features: :

- Backup root before OTA & Restores it right after.
    - Temporary un-root your device.

Requirements:

- Device must be already rooted.
    - Protection is effective only for devices with Ext2/Ext3/Ext4 /system partition
    - Non ExtFS devices will still be able to use the temporary un-root feature

OTA RootKeeper will detect what's possible or not and display available options accordingly.

Typically works for: Nexus S, Every Honeycomb tablets.
    On ExtFS partition, root survives anything but true formating or partition wiping.
    It means some update tools like KIES/Odin for Samsung device will wipe the whole thing anyway because they write complete new partition.

I needed this app so I wrote it, hopefully it will be useful to you too!

Android 4.3 Notes:

Based on Android 4.3 release notes, on Enterprise and Security, Restrict Setuid from Android Apps, su binaries and Superuser apps designed for previous Android generation will simply not work on 4.3:

Restrict Setuid from Android Apps

The /system partition is now mounted nosuid for zygote-spawned processes, preventing Android applications from executing setuid programs. This reduces root attack surface and likelihood of potential security vulnerabilities.

It means preserving root with OTA Root Keeper won't be possible anymore as new rooting techniques rely on more than just a setuid su binary in /system.
    I'll look into solution of course to preserve the functionality if possible, but until then please follow Chainfire's job on SuperSU betas.
    First post updated!

OTA RootKepper future is very compromised with /system mounted as nosetuid for apps, so please stay tuned.

You can consider OTA RootKeeper as not capable of preserving root for 4.3 OTAs until further notice, thanks for your interest ;)
    Aw, so its a no go on my sgs2..

Thanks for the amazing work as always anyways!

You're welcome :)

On Galaxy S II, temporary unroot is working and allows you to "hide" root from stupid apps refusing to work as expected after detecting root.
    Its not really hidden but so far, those stupid apps (like Google movies) use stupid detection routines.
    If people care testing, latest version always here:

http://dl.project-voodoo.org/apps/VoodooOTARootKeeper.apk

Need report with Motorola phones.
    Ah. I am thinking odin not ota

Ta

With Odin the whole partition is wiped, I can't backup/restore root − and as a result restore busybox either because it would require root to do so.