[APP][4.1+] Focal - The Open Source Camera App

Search This thread

XpLoDWilD

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 19, 2009
France
www.xplod.fr
uhhes5Yw89hHh_KY3JO8Qxcxs7btYy44TaaYfGewAEEsjrrVPxKmPgMfPhW1vS1Qucqd=w300-rw

Focal is a fully featured camera app looking to provide the most features on the most phones possible, including device-specific features on some devices.
This app is the official release from the ex-CyanogenMod app.

It features:
- A photo and video mode, supporting many features (burst mode, timer mode, scene mode, shutter speed on Sony devices, ...)
- A panorama mode, currently semi-broken
- A PicSphere mode, open-source replacement of Google's PhotoSphere, to do 360° sphere shots
- A review drawer, by sliding from the top of the screen (in portrait). It shows your latest pictures.

In photo mode, you also have access to a few tools, such as automatic picture enhancement (auto-awesome), or a rule of thirds overlay. On some devices, settings such as Color adjustment, HDR and a manual light measure point are also available. Double tapping the screen will put your in quick shot mode, where tapping the screen anywhere will take a picture.

In video mode, high-framerate video is also possible.

Tips:
- You can slide a widget's left handle to the right to close it
- You can swipe twice to temporarily hide open widgets, and swipe back to recover them
- You can pin widgets on your main screen
- You can scroll the sidebar

Notes:
- This app targets mostly phones, but should mostly work on tablets.
- It is fully open source (GPL), and the sources can be downloaded at https://github.com/xplodwild/android_packages_apps_Focal
- It is a BETA, which means you might encounter bugs and crashes. I'm mostly working on newer devices (Galaxy S3 and +), so older devices might encounter more issues than recent ones.
- I do this in my free time, and this is a free software. Instead of rating 1 star because there is a bug, you should do a constructive comment, or raise the issue to me on twitter, @XpLoDWilD. Or even better, fork the project and fix the problem :)
- Even if some parts of the app sucks for now, they'll improve over time.

JxfUPriFSJF7IwwAOehQYcvtgtORvDFtzzOKmrTHcCrUEH_kl3D9rNYm0QYcGx1CRjw=h310-rw
USSil7lV9zXAqLHozGWLQ0svyka3J45OMvZeVrB3NZgrYXl6HCap_mYdiQeXz0pd8mE=h310-rw
YXPBk8f3V_9F5VBVnzgnKKKSmKHXSBTEaA6KFX5rcLollkakD_DlMuup4TBnaZafxVHW=h310-rw
oNaWR7RnBVzAW6O9KPDxd3OwoS1uFhCqdEDsEwUGCp37DYaLcV9UTK6samcf8vLZ8fo=h310-rw

Fellow XDA users: Most of you here use custom ROMs. It means you know a bit about Android, and how useful it is to submit logs. Either you can submit a logcat here, or at least please report the crash using the "Report" button, so I can see it on my Play Store console. WIthout that, I can't fix your bug. Thanks!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.xplod.focal

If you like the app and would like future development, consider getting the Donate edition.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.xplod.focal.donate

Last edited:

MontAlbert

Jan 10, 2007
Works great for me so far. I had a hacked version from the cm nightly previously running on aokp nightly. This new one works so much better. No issues so far. Thanks for putting this on the play store although you should make it a couple bucks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

XpLoDWilD

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 19, 2009
France
www.xplod.fr
Works great for me so far. I had a hacked version from the cm nightly previously running on aokp nightly. This new one works so much better. No issues so far. Thanks for putting this on the play store although you should make it a couple bucks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I'm planning on having a second Donate version - but I'll only put it up once I'm sure there are no major problem.

Febby

May 19, 2010
Good work! I look forward to using this camera on my device, as well as supporting a play store donate/pay version. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Anthonok

I see images are still rotated and it defaults to tiny resolution, but I can not wait for this to get the bugs out. Shame about the drama but look at the bright side, more people will search for the app and know of its existence because of it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    uhhes5Yw89hHh_KY3JO8Qxcxs7btYy44TaaYfGewAEEsjrrVPxKmPgMfPhW1vS1Qucqd=w300-rw

Focal is a fully featured camera app looking to provide the most features on the most phones possible, including device-specific features on some devices.
    This app is the official release from the ex-CyanogenMod app.

It features:
    - A photo and video mode, supporting many features (burst mode, timer mode, scene mode, shutter speed on Sony devices, ...)
    - A panorama mode, currently semi-broken
    - A PicSphere mode, open-source replacement of Google's PhotoSphere, to do 360° sphere shots
    - A review drawer, by sliding from the top of the screen (in portrait). It shows your latest pictures.

In photo mode, you also have access to a few tools, such as automatic picture enhancement (auto-awesome), or a rule of thirds overlay. On some devices, settings such as Color adjustment, HDR and a manual light measure point are also available. Double tapping the screen will put your in quick shot mode, where tapping the screen anywhere will take a picture.

In video mode, high-framerate video is also possible.

Tips:
    - You can slide a widget's left handle to the right to close it
    - You can swipe twice to temporarily hide open widgets, and swipe back to recover them
    - You can pin widgets on your main screen
    - You can scroll the sidebar

Notes:
    - This app targets mostly phones, but should mostly work on tablets.
    - It is fully open source (GPL), and the sources can be downloaded at https://github.com/xplodwild/android_packages_apps_Focal
    - It is a BETA, which means you might encounter bugs and crashes. I'm mostly working on newer devices (Galaxy S3 and +), so older devices might encounter more issues than recent ones.
    - I do this in my free time, and this is a free software. Instead of rating 1 star because there is a bug, you should do a constructive comment, or raise the issue to me on twitter, @XpLoDWilD. Or even better, fork the project and fix the problem :)
    - Even if some parts of the app sucks for now, they'll improve over time.

JxfUPriFSJF7IwwAOehQYcvtgtORvDFtzzOKmrTHcCrUEH_kl3D9rNYm0QYcGx1CRjw=h310-rw
    USSil7lV9zXAqLHozGWLQ0svyka3J45OMvZeVrB3NZgrYXl6HCap_mYdiQeXz0pd8mE=h310-rw
    YXPBk8f3V_9F5VBVnzgnKKKSmKHXSBTEaA6KFX5rcLollkakD_DlMuup4TBnaZafxVHW=h310-rw
    oNaWR7RnBVzAW6O9KPDxd3OwoS1uFhCqdEDsEwUGCp37DYaLcV9UTK6samcf8vLZ8fo=h310-rw

Fellow XDA users: Most of you here use custom ROMs. It means you know a bit about Android, and how useful it is to submit logs. Either you can submit a logcat here, or at least please report the crash using the "Report" button, so I can see it on my Play Store console. WIthout that, I can't fix your bug. Thanks!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.xplod.focal

If you like the app and would like future development, consider getting the Donate edition.

Brace yourselves, an update is coming this week.
    Update pushed:
    1.0-dfa5ee8:
    - First attempt at major enhancements on older devices (such as Galaxy S II or Note)
    - Fixed PicSphere crash
    - Fixed PicSphere not matching pictures properly
    - Fixed PicSphere rendering stopping when pressing Back button
    - Fixed Zoom while Focus crash
    - Slight optimizations on startup (more to come)
    - Fixed Focus ring and Exposure ring picking the wrong point
    - Fixed swipe-to-delete getting stuck

Future fixes/enhancements:
    - Save to external SD
    - Preview aspect ratio
    - Tablets fixes
    @XpLoDWilD , is development still going on?

N⁴

It is, slowly but surely. I'm rewriting a few parts of the app to fix multiple stability issues.
    Update pushed on the play store.

1.0-6336e21:
    - Fixed pictures being rotated 90 degrees
    - Fixed slow preview on Nexus 4
    - Fixed startups crash and instability switching modes
    - Fixed lots of crashes
    - Fixed wrong focus location
    - Potential fix for PicSphere

Also, a Donate version is now available: