[Q] Vicious circle on p990.

Search This thread

Caliburno

Jan 19, 2013
Xiaomi Redmi 3S
Hello, i just bought an LG Optimus x2 and i'm trying to get CM10.1 (at least) inside of it.

the thing is, this phone came with what seems to be a custom firmware and bootloader. At bootup it says vtr.com which seems to be a chilean provider. (i'm in Uruguay....) Just bought it new... cant understand why this came like that.

If i try to put clockworkmod, i'm suppossed to do it on a rooted phone.

If i try to root the phone, everywhere says i need to access CWM...

I'm deeply confused.

This pone has not a menu when booting into recovery mode, it just says "firmware update, wait until update finished" i can't choose any file from SD external nor internal.

I have tried several tutorials, using nvflash, using superoneclick... Nothing works.

BTW, i have smartflash just in case i cant put CM10.1 so i tought about putting the official ICS rom, but i dont want to use it, i want cyanogenmod.

Would be a way to achieve what i want to put ICS, then root, then put clockworkmod, then go back to gingerbread and then put cyanogenmod?

Plz help, and thanks for your time.

Last edited:

oneearleft

Jan 16, 2013
A lot of ROM-choices

No problem:

1. Sounds to me you have to do a full wipe and start from scratch. The AIO-tool is perfectly suited for this: see AIO option 4. - it will wipe and repartition your phone, install bootloader and root your phone at once (and it can do a lot more).
2. Before wipe, please think about what bootloader (bl) you want: in general old bl is for the older gingerbread-based ROMs, new bl is for most newest ROMs (although some also run on old bl).
3. Then think about what ROM you want. ROM choice is very personal. You could experiment. Just remember to make backups along the way. With the AIO-tool you can even choose Dual Boot for enabling easy-switching between two ROMs (as long they are on the same bl). LG-ROMs are generally not considered best (although some disagree).
3a. I have been running CM7.2 with ETaNa 2.6.32.y kernel (requires old bl) for a long time and was very happy.
But this is an old ROM. If you want to have a newer there are several possibilities (which in general require new bl). I have been very happy with 3b and 3c.
3b. Currently, I am on Pengus77's Look Ma No Hands which is based on CM10 (Ice Cream Sandwich). It is fast and responsive, has low battery consumption and all features (like BT, HDMI) work.
3c. tonyp's CM10.1 (JellyBean) is fast and responsive too and most features (BT yes, but HDMI no) work.
3c. If you want tonyp's latest, try theROM is based on CM10.2 (newer optimised JellyBean). So it got the latest Android stuff, but is experimental (it is not made for our somewhat outdated phone) and some features (BT & HDMI no) do not work (I have not tried this ROM), but
3d. there are a lot of other good ROMs out there. Check the list here.
4. ICS and JB ROMs require different kernels. All ROMs come with required kernels, but these get updated too. I use Kowalski Kernel M1 and flash most updates.
5. After flashing and stabilising the ROM, you can overclock the cpu with eg. Cpu Adjuster. I have have overclocked to 1404MHz, but even 1500MHz is considered safe.
6. The p990 does not have much RAM, so you could consider using Greenify to freeze non-essential apps (eg. facebook/maps/...) which consume memory in standby. Please note, dedicated notifications will not work.
7. After finding the best setup for you, please consider to donate to related devs.
8. Be careful not to become a real flashoholic ;)

Good luck!
PS 5. and 6. might not work on gingerbread-based ROMs

Last edited:

pengus77

Recognized Developer
Mar 10, 2011
Penguins' Republic of Antarctica
Awesome reply man! Just my 2 cents... CM10 is based on Jellybean too. In fact, it's a 4.1.2 incarnation, while Ice Cream Sandwich was/is 4.0.X. Google kept the jb name from 4.1 to 4.3 because all the updates weren't that major ;)

Reactions: oneearleft

Caliburno

Jan 19, 2013
Xiaomi Redmi 3S
Ok, thanks pals for your answers, i had some doubts about versions but oneearleft cleared them.

Finally i installed nightly 10.2 Cyanogenmod, had to make a couple of full wipes via reflashing, there was a method to do it wich buttons but didn't work.
Finally i flashed latest LG rom, then i could put CWM and after that Cyanogenmod. If i'm not too crazy, i did all using AIO-Tool.

Sorry if i cant be a bit clearer, but i finished 4AM and with a half bottle of booze inside, so i really cant remember much.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Also, CM10.2 (4.2.2) has BT working, Still could not try HDMI.

EDIT2: I forgot, (booze) at one point, when i installed an official LG-rom for a random provider (Claro-CTI) after a reboot, i saw the "android" android and the phone went to an infinite reboot loop.
That's why i flashed the official ICS rom from LG. This took out the odd botloader and put the nice LG logo with a crisp animation. (vtr.com one was awful and frozed)
Then after that i could flash cyanogenmod with the bootloader that rom brought.

Last edited:

Caliburno

Jan 19, 2013
Xiaomi Redmi 3S
I dont know how it happened or why, i just saw the android and the device became looper. After that, i could reflash it.

I'm really confused about what happened but i have reflashed it several times, i tested CM7.1, CM10.1, 10.2 and i'm about to put P.A.C.man.

My main interest was to be more used to the flashing methods, bootloader and such. (i really knew/know nothing)

Now i'm about to find if i have the new or old bootloader so i can install PACman.

Wish me luck.

Caliburno

Jan 19, 2013
Xiaomi Redmi 3S
Ok now... This cellphone is awesome, sadly the only stable are way too old.

So, ¿Is anywhere a CM9 for this phone? I would love to keep cyanogenmod with it's own appearance and tools but without loosing HDMI, WiFi tether, BT and good battery life.

I've searching for it, but could'nt find.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A lot of ROM-choices

No problem:

1. Sounds to me you have to do a full wipe and start from scratch. The AIO-tool is perfectly suited for this: see AIO option 4. - it will wipe and repartition your phone, install bootloader and root your phone at once (and it can do a lot more).
    2. Before wipe, please think about what bootloader (bl) you want: in general old bl is for the older gingerbread-based ROMs, new bl is for most newest ROMs (although some also run on old bl).
    3. Then think about what ROM you want. ROM choice is very personal. You could experiment. Just remember to make backups along the way. With the AIO-tool you can even choose Dual Boot for enabling easy-switching between two ROMs (as long they are on the same bl). LG-ROMs are generally not considered best (although some disagree).
    3a. I have been running CM7.2 with ETaNa 2.6.32.y kernel (requires old bl) for a long time and was very happy.
    But this is an old ROM. If you want to have a newer there are several possibilities (which in general require new bl). I have been very happy with 3b and 3c.
    3b. Currently, I am on Pengus77's Look Ma No Hands which is based on CM10 (Ice Cream Sandwich). It is fast and responsive, has low battery consumption and all features (like BT, HDMI) work.
    3c. tonyp's CM10.1 (JellyBean) is fast and responsive too and most features (BT yes, but HDMI no) work.
    3c. If you want tonyp's latest, try theROM is based on CM10.2 (newer optimised JellyBean). So it got the latest Android stuff, but is experimental (it is not made for our somewhat outdated phone) and some features (BT & HDMI no) do not work (I have not tried this ROM), but
    3d. there are a lot of other good ROMs out there. Check the list here.
    4. ICS and JB ROMs require different kernels. All ROMs come with required kernels, but these get updated too. I use Kowalski Kernel M1 and flash most updates.
    5. After flashing and stabilising the ROM, you can overclock the cpu with eg. Cpu Adjuster. I have have overclocked to 1404MHz, but even 1500MHz is considered safe.
    6. The p990 does not have much RAM, so you could consider using Greenify to freeze non-essential apps (eg. facebook/maps/...) which consume memory in standby. Please note, dedicated notifications will not work.
    7. After finding the best setup for you, please consider to donate to related devs.
    8. Be careful not to become a real flashoholic ;)

Good luck!
    PS 5. and 6. might not work on gingerbread-based ROMs
    Awesome reply man! Just my 2 cents... CM10 is based on Jellybean too. In fact, it's a 4.1.2 incarnation, while Ice Cream Sandwich was/is 4.0.X. Google kept the jb name from 4.1 to 4.3 because all the updates weren't that major ;)