Galaxy Note 3 Handwriting to text not working

Search This thread

kaelo

May 16, 2013
when using handwriting to text on the samsung keyboard of Galaxy note 3, the writing just remains and does not convert to text after click other buttons there the keyboard crashes. regular input and all other aspects of the keyboard work, even direct pen input works. i have cleared cache and data of the samsung keyboard, even factory reset my phone but the problem remains. i really freaking out!!! does anyone have a solution or is having similar problems

jovialz

Sep 30, 2013
when using handwriting to text on the samsung keyboard of Galaxy note 3, the writing just remains and does not convert to text after click other buttons there the keyboard crashes. regular input and all other aspects of the keyboard work, even direct pen input works. i have cleared cache and data of the samsung keyboard, even factory reset my phone but the problem remains. i really freaking out!!! does anyone have a solution or is having similar problems

I'm having the same problem. Called the samsung helpdesk, they can't resovle it yet.:(

BBXiong

Jul 27, 2010
glad to know i'm not the only one facing this problem... meanwhile, any good keyboard with handwriting recognition to use as alternative?

also, to add some details, when i switch to Chinese language, the input does scroll to right when i am writing towards the end of screen, then when u scroll back, , or in english input try wrinte some words then press the backspace button, u will notice a character cursor stuck at the far left of the screen. Try move that cursor and your keyboard will crash again

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

You may try to change date&time settings to yesterday .. It works with my device ..

you're right, I just changed my date to 28th sept, and it worked, thanks a lot :highfive:

additional update: changing the date, use the handwriting, and change the date back to today and it seems working fine again. thanks indeed for the discovery, if TS can just update the first post with this solution it would be great :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Relanukh

kaelo

May 16, 2013
thank you works great, can't believe i reset my phone yesterday, should have come here first

shannel128

Jan 21, 2010
But its a temporary fix. after close apps and re-launch apps, the problem comes back. any solution?
I try suft and anything will get back here...
Thks anyway. :)

Slootha

Sep 30, 2013
Same problem

I was very glad to get my Note 3 last Friday (one of the first in the Netherlands). But this morning, during a short demonstration for my collegues on "how great the Note 3 and Android is", I had the same problem as you. This is my first Samsung and Android device, how long does patching take?

congusto

Apr 12, 2010
Alkmaar
For the S4 the first update came within a month.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

The fix helps but very temporarily. Also, when you have more than one input language selected, the first hand written word is recognised ok, but the rest is changed into rubbish. I'll skip using hand written text input for now, until it has been solved. Swyping is faster anyway.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

Crhysis

Aug 11, 2010
Bangalore
Same problem here.
Has anyone tried the alternate note input method which gets activated by hovering the s pen over the input area and then selecting the small black pencil icon ?
This seems to still work.

Slootha

Sep 30, 2013
Keyboard problems

Same problem here.
Has anyone tried the alternate note input method which gets activated by hovering the s pen over the input area and then selecting the small black pencil icon ?
This seems to still work.

Yes, that still works. But I mainly use the S Pen for what's app and email. I hope they fix it soon!

Zulkarnine

Sep 30, 2013
same here in Korean models too

Facing the same problem with my N900K model too. it worked fine for two days and now it can't recognize anymore. :( contacted samsung support. lets see what they can do.

redgp12

Sep 30, 2013
wooooow..

where have you been all my life mate? the last 2 days at least! :D
I cant imagine all the trouble i've been through..
i sent my gn3 to samsung technical guys earlier and they concluded that i have a broken board (motherboard i guess?) , and gave me a new gn3 as replacement but still had same issue.. oh my... i mean, those guys :rolleyes: thanks so much!

rvleo141

Sep 18, 2013

Exactly i was too freaked out. I rush to the dealer and was planning to go to the Samsung authorized service center.
I thought i was the only one facing the issue.
I dont know how to clear the cache and all .Can you please guide me
It worked for two days and then it just stopped working.:(

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

glad to know i'm not the only one facing this problem... meanwhile, any good keyboard with handwriting recognition to use as alternative?

also, to add some details, when i switch to Chinese language, the input does scroll to right when i am writing towards the end of screen, then when u scroll back, , or in english input try wrinte some words then press the backspace button, u will notice a character cursor stuck at the far left of the screen. Try move that cursor and your keyboard will crash again

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

you're right, I just changed my date to 28th sept, and it worked, thanks a lot :highfive:

additional update: changing the date, use the handwriting, and change the date back to today and it seems working fine again. thanks indeed for the discovery, if TS can just update the first post with this solution it would be great :D

Can you please guide how to change the width of the text written by Spen....its very sharp and i want somewat bigger...i hope u got my problem

rltaba

Sep 30, 2013
Here's my take.. My phone is N9005 bought from the Philippines last Sept. 28.
This problem occurred but is isolated to handwriting-to-text, not particular to the handwriting recognition in general because it still works on all the applications from the NOTE 3 only the handwriting-to-text is not working and always crash when you move the cursor from the leftmost side to anywhere in the keyboard pad (where you 'write' the words that will be converted to text).

Changing the Date to Sept. 27, Sept. 28 or Sept 29 works.. the handwriting-to-text works 100% (even after restarting my device) ;) but when you change the date to Sept. 30 THEN restart your device it will not work.

So basically manually changing your date in your device back to Sept. 27-29 THEN change back the date to Sept. 30 (or whatever date is today) will WORK, but it will STOP working when you RESTART or POWEROFF your device. I tried OCT. 1 as well and its not working.

Just use this workaround if you are using this feature.. I don't use this feature but it bugs me when my gadget has a flaw or is defective.. :(
I guess we need an official patch / fix for this problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung Keyboard Note 3/10.1 APK

heres the apk file.
    official update; Google Play> Search> " Samsung Keyboard Note 3" > and "Update" > restart the phone... and fixed... :)
    Just came from Samsung service center. I also have the same problem. It seems the changing of the date backward works for me too. I showed it to the technician and they said that it could be because of the "handwriting recognition software for text messaging license expiration". Apparently, the handwriting recognition software that Samsung used came from a third party developer and the license expired last Sept 30. That explains why backtracking the date will fix the problem and when you reset it the problem comes back. Makes sense to me. They ask me to call them again in a few days and follow up if Samsung already comes up with a patch or software update to fix the license expiration issue. Will update you guys of further developments. Hope that helps clear all our anxiety and stress.. :D
    You may try to change date&time settings to yesterday .. It works with my device ..
    Fix - verified! :)

official update; Google Play> Search> " Samsung Keyboard Note 3" > and "Update" > restart the phone... and fixed... :)

You sir is great! :good: