Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] JWR66Y nakasi factory image bootloader problem

OP Eregoth

15th September 2013, 01:48 PM   |  #21  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
55 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Q.

You're welcome I'm glad I could help.

It's a little strange though, I was told by the OP from my thread who helped me through my problems, that the bootloader image you that I used from your link wasn't for the 3G, but actually the WIFI which happened to be identical - at the end of the day, I'm not fussed either way - it's done and I will be selling the tablet tonight
1st October 2013, 08:48 PM   |  #22  
ccjb100's Avatar
Junior Member
Shirley, NY
Thanks Meter: 2
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Hey BIG shoutout and thanks to everyone in this thread. You all saved my butt today. I too had the same issue described here.

What happened: I had a friends Nexus 7 that was always failing to update. Attempting to OTA update would always give the Android robot laying down with a red exclamation over it every time. It was still on 4.1.2. Anyhow I took and tried to fix it up. Doing a factory reset and trying again gave same result. Hooked it up to Nexus Root Toolkit and attempted a full factory image load of 4.2.2. That froze/failed trying to send some of img's over to flash. I could still get bootloader but completely borked recovery and would not boot normally. After fiddling with my usb setup I was finally able to unlock the bootloader and then manually reflash stock 4.1.2 recovery. Then I tried again to do a full factory image load of 4.3 (JWR66Y) and immediately failed out of bootloader flash with the "invalid state" error (I was on 4.18 bootloader at the time). At this point I became somewhat concerned. Although I could still boot bootloader it was freezing up sometimes. Anyway, once I found this thread I went back again and tried JWR66V and tried a full load through NRT. Everything loaded perfectly this time (including the 4.23 bootloader from JWR66V) and I booted up normally. I was able to OTA to newest update like normal once I had JWR66V in place.

Thank you so much everyone!
4th October 2013, 10:45 AM   |  #23  
Senior Member
Flag Aarhus
Thanks Meter: 12
 
277 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
Sooo im stuck on bootloader after trying to install nakasi-jwr66y-factory-1e503532
But it says something about missing
boot.sig
Recovery.sig
And Bootloader is 4.18
And Needs to be bootloader 4.28

At this point im stock and need help before I really mess this up
I can boot into bootloader, and not get further than that.

Can I install JWR66V via wugfresh ?
And bee home free?

Mick [COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjb100

Hey BIG shoutout and thanks to everyone in this thread. You all saved my butt today. I too had the same issue described here.

What happened: I had a friends Nexus 7 that was always failing to update. Attempting to OTA update would always give the Android robot laying down with a red exclamation over it every time. It was still on 4.1.2. Anyhow I took and tried to fix it up. Doing a factory reset and trying again gave same result. Hooked it up to Nexus Root Toolkit and attempted a full factory image load of 4.2.2. That froze/failed trying to send some of img's over to flash. I could still get bootloader but completely borked recovery and would not boot normally. After fiddling with my usb setup I was finally able to unlock the bootloader and then manually reflash stock 4.1.2 recovery. Then I tried again to do a full factory image load of 4.3 (JWR66Y) and immediately failed out of bootloader flash with the "invalid state" error (I was on 4.18 bootloader at the time). At this point I became somewhat concerned. Although I could still boot bootloader it was freezing up sometimes. Anyway, once I found this thread I went back again and tried JWR66V and tried a full load through NRT. Everything loaded perfectly this time (including the 4.23 bootloader from JWR66V) and I booted up normally. I was able to OTA to newest update like normal once I had JWR66V in place.

Thank you so much everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrogh65

Sooo im stuck on bootloader after trying to install nakasi-jwr66y-factory-1e503532
But it says something about missing
boot.sig
Recovery.sig
And Bootloader is 4.18
And Needs to be bootloader 4.28

At this point im stock and need help before I really mess this up
I can boot into bootloader, and not get further than that.

Can I install JWR66V via wugfresh ?
And bee home free?

Mick [COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------



Installed this one via Nexus root ToolKit v.1.7.2
JWR66V at:
https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aos...y-d341d356.tgz

Now im back "online", and have bootloader 4.28, and android 4.3
System says there is an update, but I guess ill have to OEM lock my bootloader first. (before updating)

If this helps any1

Mike out.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrogh65

Sooo im stuck on bootloader after trying to install nakasi-jwr66y-factory-1e503532
But it says something about missing
boot.sig
Recovery.sig
And Bootloader is 4.18
And Needs to be bootloader 4.28

At this point im stock and need help before I really mess this up
I can boot into bootloader, and not get further than that.

Can I install JWR66V via wugfresh ?
And bee home free?

Mick [COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------







Installed this one via Nexus root ToolKit v.1.7.2
JWR66V at:
https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aos...y-d341d356.tgz

Now im back "online", and have bootloader 4.28, and android 4.3
System says there is an update, but I guess ill have to OEM lock my bootloader first. (before updating)

If this helps any1

Mike out.



Via Nexus root toolkit.
After OEM lock my bootloader I got Android JWR66Y on my device
Tnx myself

Mike
6th October 2013, 12:08 AM   |  #24  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
439 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Wow I didn't even realize how dangerous flashing your bootloader is. I flashed a stock 4.3 JWR66V on, and flashed a 4.23 bootloader, and have since managed to update to OTA JWR66Y. I had no problems, but now I'm wondering which bootloader I have (V or Y), and whether was I just lucky.

How would I check which 4.23 bootloader I have on my device?
6th October 2013, 06:40 PM   |  #25  
tatazeuz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Santiago
Thanks Meter: 85
 
302 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0ne

Wow I didn't even realize how dangerous flashing your bootloader is. I flashed a stock 4.3 JWR66V on, and flashed a 4.23 bootloader, and have since managed to update to OTA JWR66Y. I had no problems, but now I'm wondering which bootloader I have (V or Y), and whether was I just lucky.

How would I check which 4.23 bootloader I have on my device?

They're exactly the same bootloader. Theres absolutely no difference between JWR66V and JWR66Y bootloaders.
6th October 2013, 09:34 PM   |  #26  
GedBlake's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Thanks Meter: 399
 
662 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatazeuz

They're exactly the same bootloader. Theres absolutely no difference between JWR66V and JWR66Y bootloaders.

Hi, tatazeuz...

You'd certainly expect them to be identical, wouldn't you?... but they aren't. There's actually a 76 byte discrepancy between the two.

My own investigations (as previously reported), yielded the following puzzling results...

Code:
bootloader-grouper-4.23.img from JWR66V
---------------------------------------

Size:  2.05 MiB (2,150,992 bytes)

MD5:   df53028033c9eccf4fe5ba7bc198ce24

SHA-1: 7b28b45a035efb9aad9e61ad09b1906eb5508721

CRC32: c4eefbd8
Code:
bootloader-grouper-4.23.img from JWR66Y
---------------------------------------

Size:  2.05 MiB (2,151,068 bytes)

MD5:   5bdb2e87370cdb1a7ea14bb0c3e21390

SHA-1: ce2951e59da64fa57d281f47031364050c83f49c

CRC32: 7ab6084b
And this causes problems when attempting to fastboot flash the bootloader from build JWR66Y... you get 'signature mismatch' and 'InvalidState' errors.

It's a know issue - as well as this thread, it's also referenced in this sticky by the OP himself.

But nobody seems to know quite why the two bootloaders are different. I've done a bit of Googling around to see if I can find an answer... but so far, I've found nothing.

Probably just one those mysteries that will forever go unanswered.

Rgrds,
Ged.
6th October 2013, 09:38 PM   |  #27  
tatazeuz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Santiago
Thanks Meter: 85
 
302 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GedBlake

Hi, tatazeuz...

You'd certainly expect them to be identical, wouldn't you?... but they aren't. There's actually a 76 byte discrepancy between the two.

My own investigations (as previously reported), yielded the following puzzling results...

Code:
bootloader-grouper-4.23.img from JWR66V
---------------------------------------

Size:  2.05 MiB (2,150,992 bytes)

MD5:   df53028033c9eccf4fe5ba7bc198ce24

SHA-1: 7b28b45a035efb9aad9e61ad09b1906eb5508721

CRC32: c4eefbd8
Code:
bootloader-grouper-4.23.img from JWR66Y
---------------------------------------

Size:  2.05 MiB (2,151,068 bytes)

MD5:   5bdb2e87370cdb1a7ea14bb0c3e21390

SHA-1: ce2951e59da64fa57d281f47031364050c83f49c

CRC32: 7ab6084b
And this causes problems when attempting to fastboot flash the bootloader from build JWR66Y... you get 'signature mismatch' and 'InvalidState' errors.

It's a know issue - as well as this thread, it's also referenced in this sticky by the OP himself.

But nobody seems to know quite why the two bootloaders are different. I've done a bit of Googling around to see if I can find an answer... but so far, I've found nothing.

Probably just one those mysteries that will forever go unanswered.

Rgrds,
Ged.

I was aware of this, although I'm pretty sure that somebody screwed when compiling the package, because if you update vía OTA, the bootloader is exactly the same. And since the guy that I replied to updated via OTA, I said that.
6th October 2013, 11:57 PM   |  #28  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
439 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatazeuz

They're exactly the same bootloader. Theres absolutely no difference between JWR66V and JWR66Y bootloaders.

Really? I thought there was some discussion on this thread earlier about different file sizes and md5s for the 4.23's?
7th October 2013, 12:16 AM   |  #29  
tatazeuz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Santiago
Thanks Meter: 85
 
302 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0ne

Really? I thought there was some discussion on this thread earlier about different file sizes and md5s for the 4.23's?

The bootloader in the JWR66Y factory image is corrupted, thats why they have different sizes.
Last edited by tatazeuz; 7th October 2013 at 12:18 AM.
7th October 2013, 12:19 AM   |  #30  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
439 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
So since mine is working that means I must have put the JWR66V one on? I'd really like to be able to know for sure, but I don't know where the .img file is stored on the device so I can md5 it.

Edit: Eh, I just found the .img file on my hard drive - it's the V one. So I guess I got lucky not going too bleeding edge.

Edit2: Interestingly enough, while the file size is identical to the byte for the V bootloader, the md5 is different! It's
df53028033c9eccf4fe5ba7bc198ce24

I downloaded it from one of the threads here but don't recall which.
Last edited by jb0ne; 7th October 2013 at 03:43 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes