Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 54,386 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Windows] Make update.zip of Google apps from NAND dump! Works w/ 1.6 and new Market!

Tip us?

UnkzDomain
Old
(Last edited by UnkzDomain; 4th January 2010 at 06:41 PM.) Reason: Updated to work with 1.6 System Dumps
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Talking [Windows] Make update.zip of Google apps from NAND dump! Works w/ 1.6 and new Market!

GApps2zip

This script makes an update.zip file that only contains the Google Apps from the HTC release of the 1.5 firmware upgrade for the ADP 1. This update.zip should be flashable on any build and it should work without a problem, but since I'm just a n00b sophomore in highschool, I am naturally poor and can't guarantee anything.

Because there are already a few alternatives to this for Linux and the majority of Android users use Windows, I decided to make this a Windows-only batch script.

You MUST have the Java Runtime Environment installed in order to run this script! The signing utility requires Java and you won't be able to flash an unsigned update. If it doesn't work even if you have Java, you may have to reinstall Java as it is not in your PATH variable for whatever reason.

UPDATE
: Updated and, as far as I know, should now work fine with the 1.6 developer images from HTC as well as personal NANDroid backups of most all 1.6 Android ROMs.

INSTRUCTIONS
1) Either do a or b. It is advised to use a personal NANDroid backup (b) as it does not violate any licenses, but it has not been tested
a) Google for the file "signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-img-14721.zip" It should be on the HTC support page for the ADP 1, but it wont be the first result in Google. It is not advised to use this method as you need to agree to a license prohibiting modification of the file in order to download it. Rename the file to "backup.zip"
b) Restore to a regular build that has all of the Google Apps (like the regular OTA cupcake update) and then run a NANDroid backup. Then make a zip file that only has the system.img file from the NANDroid dump and name the zip "backup.zip"
2) If you haven't already, unzip the entire contents of the gapps2zip.zip file into a directory. For sake of simplification, I am assuming it is unzipped to C:\gapps2zip

3) Place the "backup.zip" file in the same directory as the GApps2zip.bat file (C:\gapps2zip) and DON'T rename it or unzip it.

4) Open up a command prompt window (Hit Windows + R, type in CMD, then click OK)

5) cd to the directory in which the GApps2zip.bat file, utils directory and the backup.zip file. For example:

Code:
 cd C:\gapps2zip
6)Type in "GApps2zip.bat" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Watch and wait.

7) If all goes well, you should have an update_gapps.zip folder in C:\gapps2zip. Put it on your SD card, make a NANDroid backup, and flash after flashing an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) build that doesn't include the Google Apps.

Credits
  • Cyanogen for his hard work and dedication
  • Maxisma for a similar script on which this is based
  • Google for their ingenious ideas (although their legal department can be a pain)
  • Everyone who is willing to test this script out
  • Everyone else xD

Redistribution
Feel free to redistribute the archive wherever you like, but please give me credit along with Maxisma and do not modify the archive in any way.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gapps2zip.zip - [Click for QR Code] (388.5 KB, 438 views)

alritewhadeva
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Great job unk!
T-Mobile G1
Super D
Clockwork Mod Recovery
**A Big thanks goes out to all the Developers**
Need help? Ask for it! PM me or contact me on Gtalk - alritewhadeva@gmail.com

Follow me on Twitter!

Guyver75
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgupt01 View Post
GApps2zip - Created by Ankush Gupta (twitter.com/unkzdomain and unkzdomain.com)

This script makes an update.zip file that only contains the Google Apps from the HTC release of the 1.5 firmware upgrade for the ADP 1. This update.zip should be flashable on any build and it should work without a problem, but since I'm just a n00b sophomore in highschool, I am naturally poor and can't guarantee anything.

Because there are already a few alternatives to this for Linux and the majority of Android users use Windows, I decided to make this a Windows-only batch script.

You MUST have the Java Runtime Environment installed in order to run this script! The signing utility requires Java and you won't be able to flash an unsigned update.

This script does NOT work on a build that includes the new market as there are some incompatibilities with the files for it and the ones provided by HTC (namely the MarketUpdater.apk for the new market). This is pretty much doesn't matter however, because all AOSP builds will not include ANY Android market anyways.

INSTRUCTIONS
1) Google for the file "signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-img-150275.zip" (It should be on the HTC support page for the ADP 1, but it wont be the first result in Google)

2) If you haven't already, unzip the entire contents of this zip file into a directory. For sake of simplification, I am assuming it is unzipped to C:\gapps2zip

3) Place the "signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-img-150275.zip" file in the same directory as the GApps2zip.bat file (C:\gapps2zip) and DON'T rename it.

4) Open up a command prompt window (Hit Windows + R, type in CMD, then click OK)

5) cd to the directory in which the GApps2zip.bat file, utils directory and the signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-img-150275.zip file. For example:

Code:
 cd C:\gapps2zip
6)Type in "GApps2zip.bat" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Watch and wait.

7) If all goes well, you should have an update_gapps.zip folder in C:\gapps2zip. Put it on your SD card, make a NANDroid backup, and flash after flashing an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) build that doesn't include the Google Apps.

Credits
  • Cyanogen for his hard work and dedication
  • Maxisma for a similar script on which this is based
  • Google for their ingenious ideas (although their legal department can be a pain)
  • Everyone who is willing to test this script out
  • Everyone else xD

Redistribution
Feel free to redistribute the archive wherever you like, but please give me credit along with Maxisma and do not modify the archive in any way.

when it asks u to replace system.img, do you click yes or no?

stefan.buddle
Old
Thanks Meter 203
Looks interesting ill test it out later

UnkzDomain
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver75 View Post
when it asks u to replace system.img, do you click yes or no?
You click Yes. You shouldnt have extracted the zip though, but it won't make a difference anyways.

stefan.buddle
Old
Thanks Meter 203
Looks interesting ill test it out later

Guyver75
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgupt01 View Post
You click Yes. You shouldnt have extracted the zip though, but it won't make a difference anyways.
oh ok, oops. i clicked no. guess ill have to redo it

xile6
Old
Thanks Meter 36
ok trying to understand this. From what i get is you download, Lets say cm 4.2 without google (made up rom dont go looking for it)

then you flash that to are phone.
next when flash update_gapps.zip
Then we will have a cm rom with google apks?

And in returns the update_gapps is kinda like a theme only adding the needed files?
if im wrong tell me. I'd ratter be correct then live life being mislead.
Phone:Note 3 NF1 rooted and stock Knox 0x0

Other Phone(s): T-mobile G1 < HTC Vision G2 < LG-P999 G2x < T989 S2 < HTC One m7 < Note 3

UnkzDomain
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
ok trying to understand this. From what i get is you download, Lets say cm 4.2 without google (made up rom dont go looking for it)

then you flash that to are phone.
next when flash update_gapps.zip
Then we will have a cm rom with google apks?

And in returns the update_gapps is kinda like a theme only adding the needed files?
Exactly. The only thing is that since this uses an official, legal source, it doesn't include the new market and stuff...

xile6
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Ok cool but once 1.6 adp1 is out we will have to update the script and do this again?
if im wrong tell me. I'd ratter be correct then live life being mislead.
Phone:Note 3 NF1 rooted and stock Knox 0x0

Other Phone(s): T-mobile G1 < HTC Vision G2 < LG-P999 G2x < T989 S2 < HTC One m7 < Note 3

Tags
android, aosp, google apps, htc, unkzdomain