Changing the Verizon Boot Animation Sequence?

Search This thread

Frankie1588

Sep 26, 2011
With S-OFF, I imagine this is possible. Has anyone done so?

Yeah, you can do this. I use the Google Edition HTC One boot animation. Just Google it and you can find the file. Simply rename it bootanimation.zip and place it in /system/media. Make sure you replace the bootanimation.zip currently in there to something else such as bootanimation.bak. You might have to change permissions to rw-r-r as well.

Zwitterion

Dec 15, 2009
my /system/media doesn't have an existing bootanimation.zip. Nevertheless I placed that file in that location, set permissions and the stock Verizon animation still showed. Now I'm stumped. Pulled the file from HERE, trying both a manual addition as well as flashing the flashable zip provided.

Yeah, you can do this. I use the Google Edition HTC One boot animation. Just Google it and you can find the file. Simply rename it bootanimation.zip and place it in /system/media. Make sure you replace the bootanimation.zip currently in there to something else such as bootanimation.bak. You might have to change permissions to rw-r-r as well.

Last edited:

jaydubbs

Mar 25, 2011
Newton
my /system/media doesn't have an existing bootanimation.zip. Nevertheless I placed that file in that location, set permissions and the stock Verizon animation still showed. Now I'm stumped. Pulled the file from HERE, trying both a manual addition as well as flashing the flashable zip provided.

Are you running a Sense rom? If so, the boot animations are located in System-Customize-Resource. There are two that you need to replace, one for booting up, vzw_bootup.zip, and one for shutting down, hTC_downamination.zip.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Lexworth

Jan 10, 2011
Are you running a Sense rom? If so, the boot animations are located in System-Customize-Resource. There are two that you need to replace, one for booting up, vzw_bootup.zip, and one for shutting down, hTC_downamination.zip.

Hmm... I did this and for some reason the boot animation wasn't replaced but the down animation works fine. Side note, does the boot sound in that folder play for anyone else?

HTC One s-off

IceDragon59

Jul 10, 2012
On the stock HTC ROM, to change the boot animation, you have to change two files in 'system/customize/resource/' : "htc_bootup_one.zip" and "vzw_bootup.zip" (capitalization matters). They both have to be replaced with fully functional boot animations. When I changed mine, it wouldn't work if I just changed one or the other, I had to change both.

On the stock HTC ROM, to change your down animation, you have to replace "hTC_downanimation.zip" (capitalization matters) in '/system/customize/resource/' with a functioning down animation.

On custom ROMS, you have to look to find where it's at. Sometimes it's in 'system/media' named "bootanimation.zip", sometimes it's not. Remember, it has to be a functioning replacement, otherwise it will show the stock ANDROID boot animation.

jaydubbs

Mar 25, 2011
Newton
On the stock HTC ROM, to change the boot animation, you have to change two files in 'system/customize/resource/' : "htc_bootup_one.zip" and "vzw_bootup.zip" (capitalization matters). They both have to be replaced with fully functional boot animations. When I changed mine, it wouldn't work if I just changed one or the other, I had to change both.

On the stock HTC ROM, to change your down animation, you have to replace "hTC_downanimation.zip" (capitalization matters) in '/system/customize/resource/' with a functioning down animation.

On custom ROMS, you have to look to find where it's at. Sometimes it's in 'system/media' named "bootanimation.zip", sometimes it's not. Remember, it has to be a functioning replacement, otherwise it will show the stock ANDROID boot animation.

Actually, you don't have to replace the htc_bootup_one.zip. You can rename it to .bak and replace or do the same to the vzw_bootup.zip and it will work. I actually removed my htc_bootup_one.zip and replaced the vzw one and everything works fine. Probably helps that the boot up animation I use was made for the One variants that don't have anything to do with Verizon :p

IceDragon59

Jul 10, 2012
Actually, you don't have to replace the htc_bootup_one.zip. You can rename it to .bak and replace or do the same to the vzw_bootup.zip and it will work. I actually removed my htc_bootup_one.zip and replaced the vzw one and everything works fine. Probably helps that the boot up animation I use was made for the One variants that don't have anything to do with Verizon :p

That's very odd. Now that I try it without the "htc_bootup_one.zip", it works, but it didn't when I originally replaced it. Very, very odd.

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
I grabbed a flashable boot animation (including audio) from the HTC One section and was finally able to get the animation to work after messing with the .xml file. Tried to throw the audio in with it and couldn't get it to work...I'm on Bonestock and noticed there wasn't any audio with the regular boot animation...could it be the Rom? Volume is up btw.

To get a better idea of what I did I'll include the tread. I wasn't able to flash, so I had to manually replace/rename the files in my system/customize/resource folder and then change the name for the boot animation in the .xml file. I tried to follow the steps to get the audio file included as well, but it just reverted to a basic android boot animation when I attempted that.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2357926

If there's not a solution, its not a big deal...I'm probably overlooking something. Thanks guys!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

IceDragon59

Jul 10, 2012
I grabbed a flashable boot animation (including audio) from the HTC One section and was finally able to get the animation to work after messing with the .xml file. Tried to throw the audio in with it and couldn't get it to work...I'm on Bonestock and noticed there wasn't any audio with the regular boot animation...could it be the Rom? Volume is up btw.

To get a better idea of what I did I'll include the tread. I wasn't able to flash, so I had to manually replace/rename the files in my system/customize/resource folder and then change the name for the boot animation in the .xml file. I tried to follow the steps to get the audio file included as well, but it just reverted to a basic android boot animation when I attempted that.

If there's not a solution, its not a big deal...I'm probably overlooking something. Thanks guys!

If I recall correctly, there is an option in the XML file that tells it not to play audio when it's not the first time you set up the phone, meaning it only plays on initial setup. You need to change that setting to play every time. I don't want audio on my boot animations, so I leave it alone.

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
If I recall correctly, there is an option in the XML file that tells it not to play audio when it's not the first time you set up the phone, meaning it only plays on initial setup. You need to change that setting to play every time. I don't want audio on my boot animations, so I leave it alone.

Thanks for the quick response...I'll have to get in there and look around. With my skill level, I probably won't be able to find it, but I'll give it a shot.

IceDragon59

Jul 10, 2012
Thanks for the quick response...I'll have to get in there and look around. With my skill level, I probably won't be able to find it, but I'll give it a shot.

Add this code to the XML file.

Code:
audio="/system/customize/resource/MP3_file_name_here.mp3"

This is assuming the sound you want is located in the 'resource' folder. If not, give the correct path and filename. Hope this works for you.

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
Add this code to the XML file.

Code:
audio="/system/customize/resource/MP3_file_name_here.mp3"

This is assuming the sound you want is located in the 'resource' folder. If not, give the correct path and filename. Hope this works for you.

I had tried that like it said in the OP, but for some reason when I added that in there it changed the boot animation completely and still with no audio. Ah well, it's probably more convenient with out it.

R

rddev13

Can the images be replaced with anything as long as the other file is correct?

Does anyone know?

:D

exzacklyright

Jan 25, 2011
Socal
Sooo... Tried flashing this one:

But no worky... Might try and do it manually.... hmm... Still stock animation. I'm not sure what's going on....

Resource folder: http://i.imgur.com/a6ni4Oo.png (tried replacing the bootdownanimation back to .zip as well...

Also here is where the Boot Animations lie:

Stock ROMS use /system/customize/resource/hTC_bootup_one.zip
CM/AOSP ROMS use /system/media/bootanimation.zip
Google Edition ROMS that use /system/customize/resource/Google_bootanimation.zip

Last edited:

geoffwoerner

Sep 1, 2011
I am having a hard time copying the file into the right folder, I get an error message about permissions but the folders are RW, using ES file explorer