Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

designgears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2010
SLC
Question & Answer

"Root de la Vega" What kind of name is that?
It's named after Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T Mobility.

Can I flash custom recovery/kernel/rom without tripping KNOX flags?
No, Flashing a custom ROM will trip the flag
No, Flashing a custom Kernel will trip the flag
No, Flashing a custom Recovery will trip the flag

Will this set a tripped KNOX flag 0x1 back to 0x0?
No.

Can you help me with the drivers?
No, but you can head over here for help with drivers.

How do I get into download mode?
Method 1: adb reboot download
Method 2: Pull the battery out, unplug the usb cable, reinsert the battery. Hold Volume Down + Home + Power. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Will rooting or downgrading or flashing stock trip the Knox flags?
No, KNOX flags will not be tripped!

Will root survive a factory reset?
Yes, it does.

Will root survive an OTA update?
The Sprint Note 3 has survived an OTA update, you only need to perform the sdcard steps again to get root. However, you should NOT take OTA updates, it is possible for them to patch the root method with an OTA update.

Do I need have to fully wipe my phone when rooting?
Yes. If you don't you will get lots of nasty force closes. I have yet to find a way around it.

Does Xposed Framework work?
Yes, it has been updated to work fully with the Note 3.

Will rooting report system as custom and display an unlocked lock on the initial boot screen?
Yes. It can be removed by installing Xposed Framework with Wanam Xposed and enabling Security hacks > Fake system status.

Titanium Backup is giving me problems, how can I fix it?
Check out this thread. If you are still having issues, please take your concerns to the dev, they are not related to rooting.

How do I open a 7z file?
With 7zip or IZArc!

Can I do this on OS X/Linux?
No, not until heimdall is updated to support the Note 3.

Can I unroot?
Yes, use SuperSU full unroot option or flash stock.

I am getting a "Prevention Information" popup after running a root app, how do I disable it?
From terminal emulator or adb shell as root, run; pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid
Or freeze the Knox apps with Titanium Backup.

I am getting Force Closes after flashing, how can I fix it?
Make sure you are flashing the CSC file! If you are, try flashing AP and CSC separately.

Last edited:

droidkevlar

Mar 27, 2010
just to confirm, i can remove/freeze system apps, run ad blocker, xposed, etc, with just root, right? I have never not fully "unlocked" a device and just stayed with the stock ROM. So just want to confirm before using this. And thanks btw for your hard work on this.

And one last one...Im pretty sure I wont be able to get OTA's so how would one go about updating once an OTA has been released without tripping knox?

EDIT: I just saw the 2nd post with all the FAQ...some reason it didnt show before until after I posted. But still wondering about the OTAs

Reactions: blackpanther0582

designgears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2010
SLC
just to confirm, i can remove/freeze system apps, run ad blocker, xposed, etc, with just root, right? I have never not fully "unlocked" a device and just stayed with the stock ROM. So just want to confirm before using this. And thanks btw for your hard work on this.

And one last one...Im pretty sure I wont be able to get OTA's so how would one go about updating once an OTA has been released without tripping knox?

You can do all of that fun stuff with root :)

I am unsure on the OTAs, haven't had any roll out yet.

Reactions: blackpanther0582

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
Hey designgears,

Nice to see you're still at it. Your old Cognition ROM (eclair iirc) was one of the first ROMs I ran on my SGS1 Captivate, years ago, before I settled on CyanogenMod. Didn't see you in SGS3-land, but here you are again with the Note3. Hey-ohhhh.

Thanks.

AG0087

Apr 6, 2010
Brownsville Texas
Rooted through this method today. It worked like a charm. Now my Note 3 feels invincible. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

pathtologos

Mar 9, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Ok. Here we go. I've been on android for a long time and never heard of KNOX. What the hell is this and do we need it?

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk now Free

EDIT: I forgot--Google is my friend. Nvm

Last edited:

pathtologos

Mar 9, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I'm sorry if this is too off topic but, while it IS wonderful to have a root method like this and I'm VERY grateful for it, most of what I read online states that a custom recovery will mess with knox and cause issues. I dint know if I could keep an android phone and not flash custom roms! I'm still within my return window with t mobile (I'm coming from Sprint) and I'm actually thinking about trading for a nexus 4. Hope we get a functioning recovery soon!

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk now Free

dawgboy1783

Oct 25, 2010
Finall got all files downloaded gonna flash tomorrow after work Thank you so very much designgears, chainfire and all testers for the hard work that brought us root to the G-Note 3 you guys snd XDA are unstoppable!!!
:thumbup: :)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

GoldfishTX

Jan 8, 2012
Glasgow
Works perfectly. Donated!

I can also confirm that if you bork stuff while rooted, you can Odin the stock rom over everything and start over without throwing the Knox flag.

Reactions: @l3X

cmcooper1980

May 23, 2010
Katy, TX
I know that flashing a custom recovery or custom ROM will trip the KNOX counter...BUT...

1. is it possible to adb sideload (after Root de la Vega)?

and...

2. if you CAN adb push and pull, can we pull the framework-res.apk, modify it to our liking and push it back...or will this be the same as flashing a custom ROM which will trip KNOX?

I am curious because I'd like to enable unlimited wifi tethering like I did on my old Galaxy S III by creating a flashable zip (however with Note 3 I wouldn't make it flashable, just push)

Last edited:
Thanks for your work putting this together.

It was real easy to do, and root certainly is appealing. One thing I need is device-level encryption, and that is so far unavailable on a rooted N3.

I've even tried Xposed Framework with Wanam Xposed, and checked System status via TriangleAway:

Counter = 0
Binary = Official
System = Official

But somehow device still won't encryp. Back to stock I go (a 3rd time)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Question & Answer

"Root de la Vega" What kind of name is that?
    It's named after Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T Mobility.

Can I flash custom recovery/kernel/rom without tripping KNOX flags?
    No, Flashing a custom ROM will trip the flag
    No, Flashing a custom Kernel will trip the flag
    No, Flashing a custom Recovery will trip the flag

Will this set a tripped KNOX flag 0x1 back to 0x0?
    No.

Can you help me with the drivers?
    No, but you can head over here for help with drivers.

How do I get into download mode?
    Method 1: adb reboot download
    Method 2: Pull the battery out, unplug the usb cable, reinsert the battery. Hold Volume Down + Home + Power. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Will rooting or downgrading or flashing stock trip the Knox flags?
    No, KNOX flags will not be tripped!

Will root survive a factory reset?
    Yes, it does.

Will root survive an OTA update?
    The Sprint Note 3 has survived an OTA update, you only need to perform the sdcard steps again to get root. However, you should NOT take OTA updates, it is possible for them to patch the root method with an OTA update.

Do I need have to fully wipe my phone when rooting?
    Yes. If you don't you will get lots of nasty force closes. I have yet to find a way around it.

Does Xposed Framework work?
    Yes, it has been updated to work fully with the Note 3.

Will rooting report system as custom and display an unlocked lock on the initial boot screen?
    Yes. It can be removed by installing Xposed Framework with Wanam Xposed and enabling Security hacks > Fake system status.

Titanium Backup is giving me problems, how can I fix it?
    Check out this thread. If you are still having issues, please take your concerns to the dev, they are not related to rooting.

How do I open a 7z file?
    With 7zip or IZArc!

Can I do this on OS X/Linux?
    No, not until heimdall is updated to support the Note 3.

Can I unroot?
    Yes, use SuperSU full unroot option or flash stock.

I am getting a "Prevention Information" popup after running a root app, how do I disable it?
    From terminal emulator or adb shell as root, run; pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid
    Or freeze the Knox apps with Titanium Backup.

I am getting Force Closes after flashing, how can I fix it?
    Make sure you are flashing the CSC file! If you are, try flashing AP and CSC separately.
    Hey guys, just use Kingo Root or VRoot (Google them), much easier.
    Good stuff. did this yesterday and it worked like a charm.

Thank you so much!
    Heres a shot of my TMobile Odin mode screen. System status is custom and knox 0x0. My ATT version says the same using the same method with the ATT files..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app