[GUIDE] VZW Note III Edition[Return to Stock or recover from a Soft Brick and More]

Search This thread

Porkshanker

Jan 27, 2011
Has anyone used these files to flash? does it return the phone to factory or do you still get the "custom" with the lock unlocked icon at boot?

Thanks in advance.

Mining_rocks

Oct 18, 2013
Torrent created

Made a torrent, you can include it in the OP if you so wish.

For the stock image:
CRC32: 9AB40F49
MD5: C604F9394578EDE21FE4EC7B5A372BA4
SHA-1: 04AA9CAF1D595EC0319E92353C67456656FBCAAD

For the .pit file:
CRC32: F8BBEE85
MD5: CC7DA3A79307599A34A5492B676BBA0B
SHA-1: 481C1641A1136CC68DBA98BE985A3BC2920B7CB2

Attachments

• Verizon_Galaxy_Note_3_Stock_Recovery_Files.torrent
    13.4 KB · Views: 784

Mining_rocks

Oct 18, 2013
Has anyone used these files to flash? does it return the phone to factory or do you still get the "custom" with the lock unlocked icon at boot?

Thanks in advance.

I had rooted by the root de la vega method.
After following these directions, the phone has been completely returned to stock/factory. There is no longer an open lock at boot.

Here's a screenshot from the settings.

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
After following these directions, the phone has been completely returned to stock/factory. There is no longer an open lock at boot.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Fyi OP updated...added a directory and android glossary. More to come!

nutpn

Dec 30, 2010
ALABAMA

Thanks in advance.
you can flash and you dont get unlock with the stock files
my status the first time after root de la vega showed custom with the unlock symbol
I reflashed both stock files yesterday and rooted with root de la vega again and now I'm rooted with official status and no unlock symbol and only have xposed installer and call recording, cant figure why but hey I will take that.
Thanks Droidstyle for all you do

Last edited:

Porkshanker

Jan 27, 2011
you can flash and you dont get unlock with the stock files
my status the first time after root de la vega showed custom with the unlock symbol
I reflashed both stock files yesterday and rooted with root de la vega again and now I'm rooted with official status and no unlock symbol and only have xposed installer and call recording, cant figure why but hey I will take that.
Thanks Droidstyle for all you do

Thanks for confirmation.

hahahi123

Oct 5, 2010
I wish I knew, but I have a feeling No. It would be the same principal as using Chainfire's Triangle away to erase the flash counter on prior devices. Flashing back to stock does not erase it on its own, so I wouldn't expect it to in this case either. This is why I am buying a Dev Edition, Tired of worrying about that stuff. :)

dev edition? So are these limited? Also how different are they from retail? Btw, I read the glossary about fast charge. I didn't know how to search a thread about it or create one but some cable of mine do slow charging on my phone. How do I prevent my phone from detecting other 3rd party USB cables? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

droidstyle

May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
dev edition? So are these limited? Also how different are they from retail? Btw, I read the glossary about fast charge. I didn't know how to search a thread about it or create one but some cable of mine do slow charging on my phone. How do I prevent my phone from detecting other 3rd party USB cables? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

they are the same as retail other then the bootloader is unlocked.

Tidefan13

Dec 16, 2010
How do u get the dl over to a folder with mega? Can just not drag and drop it? I've never used it. I Trying To Flash Stock So I Can Return This Phone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

I thought it was done DLn but it's not it won't dl. I gotta get this done can anyone help me out as to why it's not dln

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

nicholi2789

Mar 19, 2013
Newport
I am no novice to using Odin (used it on my S3 S4 and Note 3) but The instructions leave a couple questions unanswered for me. One is, So I load the PIT file AND the factory image file into Odin and flash at the same time? And is flashing the PIT file absolutely necessary when returning to stock? Thanks for putting this thread up though, very helpful.

LillieBennett

Mar 5, 2012
Swoope
I am no novice to using Odin (used it on my S3 S4 and Note 3) but The instructions leave a couple questions unanswered for me. One is, So I load the PIT file AND the factory image file into Odin and flash at the same time? And is flashing the PIT file absolutely necessary when returning to stock? Thanks for putting this thread up though, very helpful.

I used the procedure without the PIT, it just guarantees the partitions are also restored. Since I didn't do anything to change the partitions I skipped the pit. The directions are clear. I was prepared to redo with both files but had success and now my n3 is returned. I kinda regret that since I'm now back to waiting, saving $100 no longer seems like a good idea! :)

Lillie via LG Spectrum & tapatalk

droidstyle

May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne

I believe the guide states to load both files in Odin and hit start? The PIT file is normally only needed when recovering from a soft brick. However it does not hurt anything to use it even if you are returning to stock. Instead of further cluttering the thread to explain this, I left it out because its good practice to use the PIT file anyway to ensure the partitions are correctly mapped out. Glad this thread is helpful for you! If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask :)

nicholi2789

Mar 19, 2013
Newport
I believe the guide states to load both files in Odin and hit start? The PIT file is normally only needed when recovering from a soft brick. However it does not hurt anything to use it even if you are returning to stock. Instead of further cluttering the thread to explain this, I left it out because its good practice to use the PIT file anyway to ensure the partitions are correctly mapped out. Glad this thread is helpful for you! If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask :)

Well I never actually had to flash a PIT file before so I really don't know much about them besides the obvious. It doesn't matter, I posted prematurely anyways. I flashed the image and returned to stock successfully. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a guide I put together for the VZW Galaxy Note III

I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THE LINKS POSTED IN THIS GUIDE!!!

------------------

Section 1: How to return to Stock Android 4.X or recover from a Soft Brick

Section 2A: How to flash a Custom Recovery, Root, and More for the (Dev. Edition N3 ONLY)
    2B: How to Root and flash a Custom Recovery for the Retail Locked N3

Section 3: Android Directory

Section 4: Android Glossary

-------------------

Section 1: How to return to Stock Android and recover from a Soft Brick.

Take Note If your Retail Locked N3 took the OTA update, you can not revert back to older firmware. Verizon now has Samsung blacklist the older firmwares bootloader after each update. If you try and flash older firmware the device will softbrick or fail at Aboot in Odin.

Step 1: Download and install Odin 3.09 to a Windows based PC - http://www.mediafire.com/download/c4jk4e4i553jscs/Odin3_v3.09.exe

Step 2: Download a stock Odin image and Pit file to the PC. If Odin does not recognize the file then extract it with a program such as 7zip.

RETAIL Locked N3 Restore Files

Official VRUEOB6 5.0- http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/45906/N900VVRUEOB6_N900VVZWEOB6_VZW/

Official VRUDNK1 4.4.4-http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/41501/N900VVRUDNK1_N900VVZWDNK1_VZW/

Official VRUCNC4 4.4.2- http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=29319

-Mirror- http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358549642

Official VRUBMJE 4.3- http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319196106

Developer Edition N3 Restore Files

DE_VRUBMJE 4.3-http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319196402

-------------

HLTE_32gb.PitFile- https://www.mediafire.com/?i3vfwql159a4bfo(works for both DE and Retail devices)

Step 3: Power device off, hold the volume down/home/power keys until you see a yellow triangle, then press the volume up key to access "odin or download mode".

Step 4: Open Odin and connect the oem usb cable from pc to device. The driver should automatically install( it did for me on windows 7 64bit). There should also be a "comport number" in upper left hand corner of Odin indicating communication between the pc & device.

*If the drivers do not automatically install, then manually install the drivers in link and proceed to the next step. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2038555

Step 5: Click on the Pit function of Odin and select Pit file you downloaded in Step:2.

Step 6: Click on the AP/PDA(depends on Odin version) function of Odin. Select the stock 4.3 image you downloaded in step 2, then select start. This operation should take less than 8 minutes before Odin will say pass/reset.

Step 7: Your device should boot back up into factory stock Android! However, these stock Odin files do not wipe data and as a result the device may bootloop or stick at the samsung sash screen depending on the devices state before flashing the above files.
    To get the device to boot: power the device off, press and hold the volume up/home/power buttons until the samsung logo appears. The device will boot into recovery and from there you will need to wipe data/factory reset, then reboot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 2A: How to Flash a Custom Recovery, Root, and More For The (Dev. Edition N3 ONLY)

Do not worry about Knox, the DE device has no warranty anyway

Step 1: Download and Install Odin 3.09 and drivers from section 1 if you have not already.

Step 2: Download the Official CWM recovery.tar to the desktop of your PC
    http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/hltevzw/philz_touch_6.08.9-hltevzw.tar.md5

Step 3: Download the SuperSU.zip to the root of your Internal SD.
    http://download.chainfire.eu/351/SuperSU/

Step 4: Power your device off, connect the OE usb cable from device to PC, Press and hold the volume down/home/ power buttons until you see a yellow triangle, then press volume up to access "odin/download mode". Take note there should be a Com port number in the upper left hand corner of Odin indicating communication with device.

Step 5: Click on the AP slot in Odin and find the recovery.image.tar you downloaded in step 2. Also make sure to Uncheck Auto Reboot!!

Step 6: Hit Start, Odin should take less then 15 seconds before indicating completion.

Step 7: Unplug device, Pull and Re-insert battery, Press and Hold the Volume UP/Home/Power buttons until you see the Samsung logo or indication that the device is Recovery Booting.

Step 8: Congrats you should now be booted into TWRP recovery!! Continue following directions below for ROOT!

Step 9: Create a Nandroid back up by tapping back up, chose partitions to back up(system, data, boot are standard), then swipe to back up. Return to the main menu by pressing the return arrow 2 times.

Step 10: Select Wipe, Advanced Wipe, Check both Cache and Dalvik cache, then swipe to perform action. Tap the return arrow 2 times to return to the main TWRP page.

Step 11: Select Install and find the root.zip you downloaded in step 3, then select it. Swipe to Confirm Flash.

Step 12: Navigate back to the home page and reboot. Once the device is booted up, open app drawer and confirm the SuperSU app is installed.

For Installing Kernels, Mods, Roms, or any .zip from Recovery

-Boot into Recovery via three finger method(hold vol. up/home/power)and follow steps 8-11, just replace the file in step 11 with the one you are trying to flash.

-The only extra step for flashing a Rom is to Wipe DATA in step 10.

-If something goes south and your device will not boot after flashing in recovery, this is where creating that Nandroid back up will save you. Simply power the device off, Three finger into Recovery, Select Restore, Then Select the back up you created and swipe to restore.

-----------------

Section 2B: How to Root and Flash Safe Strap Recovery for the Retail Locked N3

Step:1 First you need Root. https://towelroot.com/

- Click the Red symbol and download Towel Root.apk.
    -Navigate to system setting/security/unknown sources and check the box.
    -Install and run the TR.apk

Step 2: Once you have verified you have Root and updated SuperSU, head over to this thread and Download the SafeStrap.apk to the root of the devices internal sd(mount/sd).http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2517610

Step 3: Open the app drawer and find the File Manager app(If you do not have this app download it from the playstore), use the app to find the SafeStrap.apk you downloaded in step 2.

Step 4: Click on the SafeStrap.apk and click Install.

Step 5: Navigate to the app drawer and open the SafeStrap app, agree to the disclaimer, then select install recovery.

Step 6: Reboot and you should see a new Splash screen upon boot.

Step 7: Congrats you now have Safestrap recovery and are ready to flash mods & roms.

Be Sure to Thank and/or donate to HashCode for his efforts!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 3: Android Directory

-----------------

[Firmware][Collection]Modems,Kernels,Stock Tars-http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2524572

-----------------

[How To][Disable Stock Apps Safely]- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2478589

[How To][Add Toggles to Notification Panel]- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2482867

[How To][Tethering Without Root]- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2480705

[How To][Videos]Root-Unlock-More- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2484201

------------------

[MOD][ROOT][All Root Methods]- http://www.note2forum.com/forum/galaxy-note-3-development/4355-root-methods-all-one-place.html

[MOD]Native Multiwindow-http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2507975
    ------------------
    Section 4: Android Glossary

Download Mode- This is a setting in which you will put your phone when using Odin. There are other ways, but most noobs will reach download mode by powering down, removing the battery, and holding volume down while plugging the factory usb cord into the computer and phone. Odin can only communicate properly with your phone if the phone is in download mode.

F. Reset Time- This is a check box in Odin. It's not clear that anyone knows the exact details of what it actually does, nor is it clear what will happen if you leave it unchecked vs checked. It seems to reset some arbitrary counter in your phone. As a general rule, you can either follow the instructions of whatever guide you're using or just leave the checkbox how you found it.

Fast Charge- This is a feature on some ICS ROMs that can be turned on or off. When enabled, it allows your phone to draw as much charge as possible regardless of the charging source. Without fast charge, your phone will place artificial speed limits on charging when plugged, for example, into the USB slot on your computer. Fast charge bypasses these limits, letting your phone believe it is always plugged into a wall charger. It is worth noting that your phone will not be recognized by your computer as a USB device when fast charge is enabled. It will only charge.

FC - Force Close- This is when an app stops working unexpectedly. This can happen to both rooted and unrooted phones. It doesn't cause any damage to the phone. In most cases, the app can just be opened right back up. It seems to depend on a lot of factors, including the quality of the app itself. ROMs and kernels that experience very few FCs are said to be "stable."

Flash- This is a term used to describe the installation of software onto your phone. It refers to fundamental changes in your phone's operating system. It is different from just installing an app from the Marketplace (Google Play). Commonly, people will flash ROMs, kernels, patches, and radios. There are basically two ways to flash new software onto your phone:1. Odin2. CWM Recovery (or a comparable recovery program)

Freeze -There are two meanings in general use. One might use this term to refer to his or her phone becoming unresponsive. More commonly, though, it refers to a special ability of a program called Titanium Backup. This program can be downloaded from the Android Marketplace (Google Play), but it requires a rooted phone to work. When Titanium Backup is used to freeze an app or process, that app or process is essentially gone from the phone. It won't show up in the app drawer, and it won't be running in the background. The difference between freezing and uninstalling, though, is that anything frozen can be quickly "thawed," also with Titanium Backup. With the touch of a button, the missing app or process is right back where it used to be. This is a convenient way for newly rooted users to test the waters of debloating.

Gapps - Google Apps- When flashing custom ROMs, the apps on the phone are usually deleted. As an alternative to going to the Marketplace (Google Play) and re-installing all the favorites (Google Maps, Google Talk, Google Voice, etc.), many devs have packaged these into a tidy zip file that can be flashed via CWM. Why don't they just put the Google Apps in the ROM, you ask? Custom ROMs and Google Apps get software updates at different rates, so keeping the two separate allows users to always have the most up-to-date version of each. On MTD ROMs such as CM7 or anything ICS, you generally must flash the gapps package to get the Android Marketplace (Google Play).

Governor- This refers to the type of logic your phone uses to control how fast its processor ramps up when needed or slows down when not. The choice of governor can influence overall performance and battery life. The governor can be selected using an OC/UV program such as Voltage Control or NS Tools. No one governor is right for everyone. The fun is in experimenting. Here are some examples and brief descriptions:

performance:Keeps the processor always ramped up to to maximum; useful for benchmarking.
    ondemand:*Rapidly ramps up the processor when needed; gradually slows it down when not neededconservative:*Similar to ondemand, but ramps up more slowlyuserspace:*The user can define the parameters (for advanced users only).
    lazy:*This was developed specifically for Android by xda dev Ezekeel. He states it is an enhanced version of ondemand, tuned to our phones' capabilities. Don't be fooled by the name. He tested it with numerous processor-intensive applications.
    interactive:Uses a logic to try to predict how quickly it needs to ramp up processor speed, attempting to balance battery life and performance
    interactiveX: A tweak on interactive (by dev imoseyon), which locks the processor at the minimum speed when the screen is off
    smartass & smartassV2:Modified interactive governors by dev erasmux, they use logic to determine how quickly to ramp up or slow down; designed to optimize battery life without sacrificing performance.
    powersave:This keeps the processor always set at the minimum frequency. The name may be a bit misleading, as certain processes will just take longer, using up more battery.

Heimdall- This program is similar to Odin. It was created by an Australian software company called Glass Echidna. It can be used to flash files onto your phone. Some users prefer this program over Odin. Heimdall can be used with Mac computers, whereas Odin can not. Many high level users regularly use both Heimdall and Odin.

init.d- This is a type of script used by developers when they modify Android code. You hear the term a lot because modifications using this type of script have far-reaching effects in the overall performance of the phone. High level users (who aren't quite devs) can even insert bits and pieces of init.d scripts to make minor tweaks to their phones.

Inverted- By default, most Google apps consist of a white screen with dark lettering. Inverting changes this to a dark screen with light letters. There are several advantages to this. Beyond the aesthetic advantages, it tends to be easier on the eyes in low light situations and reduce battery consumption. Inversion is done by talented individuals called themers.

I/O Scheduler- This refers to the type of logic your phone uses to order and process read and write requests to your phone's hard drive. There are several types, which are listed below, but there is no magic bullet. The joy is in finding the one that works for you in terms of performance and battery life. It is worth noting, though, that certain schedulers were designed to be used with mechanical rotating hard drives, taking the drive's rotational position into account. This does not apply to our phones, which use solid state drive technology. A scheduler can be selected by using an OC/UV control program such as Voltage Control or NS Tools. Specific descriptions are beyond the scope of this glossary, but simple Internet searches can expand on any of schedulers listed.*Examples: noop, deadline, cfq, bfq, sio, vr, bfs* In the absence of a dev's recommendation, if you don't feel like reading up on the subject, you can leave the scheduler at the default or choose noop or sio.

JB - Jelly Bean- Android 4.xGoogle likes to name its Android releases after sweet foods. This is the latest version of Android to hit the streets, and devs are flocking to it , making all JB development new and exciting.

Jig- This is a tiny Frankensteinian device made of a small chip, a transistor, and the tip of the little micro-USB connector that you plug into your phone to charge it or attach it to your computer. When your phone will not go into download mode through normal means, putting a jig into the phone when the battery is in will make your phone go into download mode. You can make one yourself or buy one online for less than $10.

Kang- Generally used as a verb, this means to take bits and pieces of someone else's coding and to then integrate it into your own. Granted, noobs won't be doing this, but devs do it all the time. For the most part, this is considered a welcome practice among friendly devs, provided it is done correctly and politely. Kanging often serves to better the community as a whole. The key for devs is to give credit to the other devs from whom they have kanged.

Kernel- This is one of the two main components (ROM being the other) of the software running on an Android phone. It is the piece of software that connects the hardware (screen, softkeys, vibration, speakers, etc.) to the other software components. An unrooted phone comes with a stock kernel. It is stable but somewhat slow. Practically speaking, installing (flashing) a custom kernel will make your phone feel much faster and smoother as it moves through screens and opens apps. Generally speaking, installing a new kernel will not change the basic appearance of your phone or erase any of your phone's information. Custom kernels can also unlock several abilities of rooted phones. Examples include:-wireless tethering (ignoring that pesky $30/month charge from Verizon)-control over how and when the softkeys at the bottom of the screen light up-overclocking/undervolting-voodoo lagfix (This only applies to phones with BML-based ROMs. MTD ROMs don't need lagfix.)-custom boot animationsLean Kernel*- Created by imoseyon, He intentionally leaves out a lot of the "bells and whistles" to keep the experience simple, smooth, and fast. Imoseyon works with several phones, so it is imperative that you have the correct version of Lean Kernel, the one appropriate for your phone.

Linaro- This is a team of software engineers developing open source software for numerous platforms, particularly as it relates to getting maximum bang for the buck from systems with memory and hardware limitations. For our purposes, many Linaro modifications are making their way into our custom ROMs, promising increased speed and responsiveness.*Logcat*- This is a log of all of the processing activity your phone did over a certain period of time. This is useful for bug reporting, as devs can examine logcats and attempt to determine the source of the error(s). Many threads in the development forum request logcats to go alongside any bug reports. A logcat can be generated through adb, and there are also some apps that will do it for you. Random complaints aren't terribly useful for devs, but logcats generally are. This classic cartoon illustrates how many devs feel about disorderly complaints about their work, even though most are far too polite to say anything.

Milestone- Devs are always trying to incorporate the latest and greatest features into their ROMs. The add-ons are incorporated as parts of new releases, or "builds." This is what makes development exciting, but it also leads to bugs. Milestone builds occur when the devs sit back, roll up their sleeves, and work the bugs out of all the awesome features they've crammed into their work. The milestones are considered the relatively safe and stable builds. When installed correctly, they rarely experience major bugs.

MIUI- This term is a transliteration of a Chinese name for a special customization of Android actually developed in China. MIUI ROMs can be installed on the Fascinate. They change the look and feel of the Android system, moving it closer to something resembling iOS, the iPhone's operating system. A lot of custom development has been done with the software code from the MIUI system. Many devs will integrate bits and pieces of MIUI into their own ROMs.

Nandroid- This is a backup of your entire phone as it stands at that moment in time (ROM, kernel, text messages, your Angry Birds progress, etc.). It is stored on your sd card, which is somewhat immune to your tinkering. A Nandroid backup is a good failsafe for the times when you might want to try out that new experimental kernel your favorite dev has been working on. The files can also be saved on a home computer/flash drive/etc. for safe keeping. Nandroid backups are created using a recovery program like Clockworkmod Recovery. CWM can also use old Nandroids to restore a phone to its previous condition.

Nightly - Nightlies- Some rooted users like the idea of having the most stable, tested, and reliable ROMs available. Others prefer the excitement of being on the cutting edge. Nightlies are the untested regular releases of whatever a certain dev happens to be working on at the time. They package them up, post them online, and let the discussions ensue. These are not for the faint of heart. They are for people who are comfortable addressing freezes, boot loops, and force closes.

Noob- If you have to ask what this means, this is what you are. It's a derivation of "newbie" or "newb," someone who's new to the activity at hand. In many ways, the noob is defined by his actions rather than by the amount of time he's spent rooting phones or posting on xda. Here are a few standard behaviors that will immediately brand someone as a noob:posting new threads to ask questions that have been answered dozens of times. (Hint: It's best to search before posting)-Posting ROM complaints (without logcat), beginner questions, and other non-development topics in the development forums (It has been theorized that this will ultimately be the end of xda)-Diving in and flashing away without reading and then posting about your problems (Everyone needs to read the Guide.)

NSTools- This is an app that requires superuser permissions. It can be used to control a variety of the phone's features that are unlocked when running a custom kernel. It can enable fast charge, BLN, overclocking, and undervolting. It often comes pre-installed with ICS ROMs.*OC - Overclocking*- Computer processors operate at a variety of speeds. When a manufacturer sells a product (like a phone) to the general public, they strictly limit the speed at which the built in processor can operate, even though the processor may be capable of more. This is to promote stability and reliability. Rooted users can overclock their phone's processor, raising the maximum speed at which it can operate. This can be done through various apps, including Voltage Control and NS Tools. Some ROMs even have the controls built into their settings. There are limits, though. Running a processor at too high a speed can cause overheating and/or glitches.

Odin- This is a program of seemingly mysterious origins that allows your home computer to communicate with your phone. You download it to your home computer. Good communication with your phone requires the installation of Samsung drivers on your computer as well as the use of the USB cable that came with your phone. Among other things, Odin can be used to root your phone, install CWM Recovery, install custom ROMs and kernels, and return your phone to stock after you've screwed it up.**NEVER touch the "Phone" button on Odin. It should be labeled "Destroy your Phone"

OP - Original Post- This refers to the first post in any given thread, the one that started the thread in a discussion forum. A common noob mistake is to hop into a thread on page 27, read for 30 seconds, and then chime in with a question. He is often directed to the OP, which contains the answer to his question.*

OTA - Over the Air- These are the official firmware upgrades that Verizon has released over the life of this phone. They were either pushed out to our phones in the middle of the night or offered up for us to download at our convenience. Generally speaking, rooted users do not receive OTA updates. Also generally speaking, this doesn't really matter. The updates can be found on xda, and it is unlikely that the Fascinate will ever receive another OTA update.

Patch- This generally refers to a zip file that can be flashed using CWM. The file usually contains updates or small modifications to an existing ROM or kernel. A great example is the patch that reprograms the phone dialer's voicemail button to open Google Voice instead of the standard voicemail or Visual Voice Mail.

PDA Button- This is the button you will want to use when using the Odin program. You should always avoid the "Phone" button.

Pit file- This is a type of file used with Odin when returning your phone to stock. There is a "Pit" button on Odin you can push to enter the pit file you wish to use. An example of a pit file that you will probably use is Atlas_v2.2.pit. To return to stock, you would use a pit file along with a stock ROM, putting both into Odin at the same time. Droidstyle's guide provides detailed instructions.

Project Butter- This is a Google initiative, launched with Jelly Bean, aimed at reducing phone lag, both real and perceived. It involves research into human visual perception, the pairing of GPU and CPU, graphics buffering, and so on. It's purpose is to make your Android phone run "like buttah."

Radio - a.k.a. Modem- This generally refers to the software that manages the phone's connection to the outside world, not the physical device itself. Verizon would release new versions of this software from time to time in their OTA updates.

Recovery- Your phone comes with a recovery program. You have to choose to boot it up as an alternative to booting up your phone's normal touchscreen interface. An ordinary phone user would probably never even see this program. It's not pretty. It's just functional. It is basically a list of commands and technical terms that you can navigate using the phone's softkeys, volume up & down buttons, and the power button (to select). Essential to rooting are the special recovery programs such as CWM Recovery. A special recovery program, will replace the stock recovery program for a rooted user.

Re-Partition- This is one of the check boxes in Odin. This box should be checked only when returning your phone to stock. Of Odin's various check boxes, this is the only one for which widespread agreement of its use exists.

ROM- This is one of the two main components (kernel being the other) of the software running on an android phone. It generally determines the overall appearance of your phone, including which apps are installed by default. The ROM that comes installed on your phone right out of the box is known as the stock ROM. Created by devs, there are numerous custom ROMs available. The process of flashing a custom ROM to your phone will, generally speaking, erase everything on your phone. When you buy your phone from Verizon, Verizon still controls it. You are simply a user who is allowed to perform various Verizon-approved activities on it.

Root- Gaining root access to your phone grants you the control that Verizon had previously held. Rooting quite literally makes you the "Superuser," opening numerous possibilities for improvement, customization, and ruin. Root access is essential to having a fast, fully customized phone.

Root Explorer- This is an app downloadable from the Android Marketplace (Google Play). As it requires Superuser permissions, it is only functional for rooted users. Its abilities far exceed those of standard file management apps. For example, Root Explorer can copy .apk files directly into the system/apps folder in Android. It's a great way to get that obscure Samsung widget reinstalled on your phone after your favorite developer's ROM washed it away and called it bloat.

Samsung Drivers- This is a small piece of downloadable software that will need to be installed on your home computer before it will be able to communicate with your phone (via Odin or adb).

Skin- This is a program that a phone manufacturer creates with the goal of making its phones more user friendly. It is basically an interface that sits on top of the pure Android guts underneath, hence the term "skin." The skin that comes with Samsung phones is called TouchWiz. This is why our phones don't look quite the same as our friends' HTC or Motorola phones, even though they are all using Android. Some people love TouchWiz. Some people hate it. Some custom ROMs are designed to be used with TouchWiz. Others are designed to be rid of it.

SOD - Sleep of Death- This is when your phone goes into standby mode but then goes into a catatonic state somewhere between being asleep and completely powered down. Users report various degrees of SOD. Some ROMs and kernels have been associated with it, as have certain apps, certain radios, and certain SD cards. Experimenting with fringe OC/UV and didle settings are often responsible these days. Generally, a battery pull (or better, Volume Up + Power) will revive the phone. Once a phone experiences a SOD, it seems likely that it will happen again, so a fix will need to be instituted. A modification of OC/UV settings or a return to stock and clean installation of your ROM, kernel, and apps are recommended.

Superuser- A rooted phone will have a new icon in the list of apps called Superuser. This is what distinguishes a rooted phone from a non-rooted phone. There are numerous apps available on the web and Android Marketplace (Google Play) that require "Superuser permission" to do what they do. Common examples of these apps include NS Tools, Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, Voodoo Sound, NS Tools, and Voltage Control. When a rooted user first runs one of these special apps, the app will ask for Superuser permission. Since you are now the Superuser, you get to press the button that says allow or one that says deny.

S Voice- Korean Siri, courtesy of Samsung.

Swype Beta- One of the early perks of rooting, the latest version of Swype is not available to unrooted users because the Fascinate comes with a special pre-installed (and perhaps outdated) version of Swype. Upgrading gives a slicker version of Swype with a more advanced word selection logic. You must follow a few steps to do it correctly:1. Change the input method to the Android keyboard (settings->language & keyboard).2. Uninstall Swype using Titanium Backup.3. Go to the Swype website, give them your email address, and then follow their lead.

.tar- This is the file extension for the files that get flashed via Odin. The file to install CWM, for example, is a .tar file. Another example is the file that returns your phone back to stock.

Titanium Backup- This is an app available on the Android Marketplace (Google Play). It is for rooted users only, and it requires Superuser permissions to operate normally. Its two main functions are:1. Creating backups of your phone (or parts of it) in case you screw it up2. Freezing or uninstalling apps and other stuff you don't want (i.e. debloating)

Thanks button- Once you have created an established account at xda and made a post or two, you will begin to see a button with a little thumbs up sign next to the word "Thanks." This can be found on the lower right corner of someone's post. Pushing this button lets the person who posted know that their work is appreciated. It is considered polite to thank anyone who has helped you, whether or not it was in direct response to your own question. It is always polite to thank the devs whose software you are using. Xda tallies these thanks and gives experienced users a quantifiable measure of their contributions to the community. You will see a thanks meter under other users' names. Helpful people and prolific devs can have hundreds or thousands of thanks.

Troll- This describes a person who attempts to transform a civil forum discussion into a battle of harsh words. They generally lure people into a massive argument by posting inflammatory remarks that are just slightly off topic. They then sit back and laugh to themselves as the argument develops into the nerd equivalent of a bar fight. To feed a troll and make him stronger, just respond to him. To weaken him, report his posts to moderators.

TW - TouchWiz- see "Skin"*

TWRP - TeamWin Recovery Project- This is an alternative to the traditional recovery program. Rather than using the volume rocker, softkeys, and power button to interact with it, a touchscreen interface is used. While it offers some interesting potential, it is still under development in terms of compatibility with the Fascinate and our popular ROM/kernel setups.

UV - Undervolting- This is a means of attempting to reduce battery consumption when using custom kernels. Rooted users can accomplish this through one of several apps, with Voltage Control and NS Tools being common examples. The point of whether UV reduces battery consumption is highly contentious, but there does seem to be a theoretical basis for its validity, as well as a preponderance of anecdotal evidence.

Voltage Control- This is an app available on the Android Marketplace (Google Play). It requires root access (i.e. Superuser permissions). When used with compatible kernels, it allows you to overclock and undervolt your phone.

Voodoo- Project Voodoo is a collaborative software development effort started by dev supercurio back when Galaxy S phones first hit the market. Its goal was to optimize the Galaxy S, bringing it up to its full potential. Voodoo innovations have been used by countless rooted users. Voodoo features can only be used on compatible custom kernels. The project consists of three main branches:1.
    Voodoo Color - optimizes screen images/video *Not really available in most modern Fascinate setups, but people still talk about how they miss it.2.
    Voodoo Sound - optimizes sound quality for audiophiles *The Voodoo Sound app is available from the Marketplace (Google Play) to control settings.

Wipe x3- This term refers to the act of wiping the slate clean on your phone. It removes all apps you have installed and any data associated with those apps. It will not erase Android, your ROM, your kernel, or anything on your sd card (your photos and videos are on your sd card by default). The Wipe x3 is often done before making major changes to your phone's system. The process is accomplished through a recovery program such as CWM. Here are the 3 commands (hence the "x3"):1. wipe data/factory reset2. wipe cache partition3. wipe dalvik cache*Note, performing a wipe data/factory reset will reportedly wipe the cache partition and the dalvik cache, so steps 2 & 3 may be redundant.

zip- For our purposes, this refers to the file type for files that can be flashed with CWM or other recovery programs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance.

Torrent created

Made a torrent, you can include it in the OP if you so wish.

For the stock image:
    CRC32: 9AB40F49
    MD5: C604F9394578EDE21FE4EC7B5A372BA4
    SHA-1: 04AA9CAF1D595EC0319E92353C67456656FBCAAD

For the .pit file:
    CRC32: F8BBEE85
    MD5: CC7DA3A79307599A34A5492B676BBA0B
    SHA-1: 481C1641A1136CC68DBA98BE985A3BC2920B7CB2

I used the procedure without the PIT, it just guarantees the partitions are also restored. Since I didn't do anything to change the partitions I skipped the pit. The directions are clear. I was prepared to redo with both files but had success and now my n3 is returned. I kinda regret that since I'm now back to waiting, saving $100 no longer seems like a good idea! :)

Lillie via LG Spectrum & tapatalk