MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

Does the gear only work with the stock messaging app?

19th October 2013, 09:00 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 62

426 posts
I was trying different text apps today and it appears after installing them I stopped getting text notifications on my gear. So I assume the gear requires the stock messaging app to receive the message son the gear?
19th October 2013, 09:04 PM   |  #2  
Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 367

2,472 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike208

I was trying different text apps today and it appears after installing them I stopped getting text notifications on my gear. So I assume the gear requires the stock messaging app to receive the message son the gear?

Unfortunately, that is correct.

I have always used & loved Handcent, but I realized pretty quickly that using Handcent disables all text notifications on the watch
19th October 2013, 09:07 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 62

426 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10

Unfortunately, that is correct.

I have always used & loved Handcent, but I realized pretty quickly that using Handcent disables all text notifications on the watch

Yeah I tried textra again, but still can't get mms to work on it, so I went back to handcent. Thats a bummer, but the stock app has very little customization
30th October 2013, 12:44 AM   |  #4  
Flag Saint Stephen
Thanks Meter: 22

253 posts
More
Thumbs down Appears So
Yes, it appears you are correct. I use the Facebook Messanger app for SMS and it doesn't work. Really unfortunate.
30th October 2013, 03:00 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 16

97 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acheney1990

Yes, it appears you are correct. I use the Facebook Messanger app for SMS and it doesn't work. Really unfortunate.

It works happily alongside Tablet Talk. Tablet Talk and my Gear are both connected via bluetooth to my phone. Any time I get a text, it goes to both my Gear and my Tablet just fine.
1st November 2013, 07:01 PM   |  #6  
TN
Thanks Meter: 49

685 posts
Darn!!! Took the wind out my question. I use handcent as well it has so many nice functional customizations I cannot go to the default messaging. Could any form of rooting the device open the door up for this or is it the app?
1st November 2013, 07:08 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 4

20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathlon

It works happily alongside Tablet Talk. Tablet Talk and my Gear are both connected via bluetooth to my phone. Any time I get a text, it goes to both my Gear and my Tablet just fine.

I tried using Tablet Talk 1.75 and it keeps craching on the Gear. What version are you using??? Thanks.
1st November 2013, 07:28 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 8

27 posts
Go SMS works
I have Go SMS working... Go SMS is controlling the vibrate (so I can use custom vibration patterns), and I have it controlling the LED (change color and blink rate). Also when I press the "show on device" button on the Gear, it goes straight to Go SMS, not the stock messaging.

This is what I did...

I uninstalled Go SMS (I'm not sure if this is necessary), and reinstalled.

In the Go SMS :
In the "Notification Settings":
Enable Notifications --> checked.
In the Defualt notification settings:
Vibrate --> checked.
Blink LED -- checked.

In the "Other setting" menu:
Disable other message notification -- Un-checked

In the stock messaging app:
Under "More" tab:
Notifications --> checked
Select ringtone -- > set to "silent"
Vibrate --> Un-checked
Preview message --> checked.

Open the Application manager in the settings of the phone:
Swipe over to the "ALL" tab, and scroll down until you find the "Messages" app. Un-check "show notifications" This will prevent double notifications in the panel.

This should do it. When I received a text, the first time I clicked "show on device", the option popped up on the phone to select the default program between Go SMS and stock messaging. I clicked Go SMS, and set to "Always". Now it opens up Go SMS everytime.

Hope this helps some of you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lopan2000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st November 2013, 08:16 PM   |  #9  
Flag Tornados City
Thanks Meter: 859

2,651 posts
More
but your method only give you notification that you receive message but doesn't show any message content right?
What I need is able to read text message on gear just like the stock messaging app is. I miss using textra.
1st November 2013, 08:17 PM   |  #10  
Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 8

94 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty01

I tried using Tablet Talk 1.75 and it keeps craching on the Gear. What version are you using??? Thanks.

It works with my version as well, 1.9.4 but I just had some issues getting it to work after the latest gear manager update. Basically had to switch it to wifi and back to bletooth before it reconnected and was working again.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Galaxy Gear General by ThreadRank