Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,011 Members 39,374 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Does the gear only work with the stock messaging app?

Tip us?

mike208
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 61
Default Does the gear only work with the stock messaging app?

I was trying different text apps today and it appears after installing them I stopped getting text notifications on my gear. So I assume the gear requires the stock messaging app to receive the message son the gear?

jmorton10
Old
Thanks Meter 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike208 View Post
I was trying different text apps today and it appears after installing them I stopped getting text notifications on my gear. So I assume the gear requires the stock messaging app to receive the message son the gear?
Unfortunately, that is correct.

I have always used & loved Handcent, but I realized pretty quickly that using Handcent disables all text notifications on the watch
~John

VZ Note 3, rooted, Beans ROM/Nova Prime/Custom icons
Gear watch with Null 22.1 ROM & Trangulum kernel,themed etc.

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, rooted W/ Google Playstore & Amazon app store working.
Amazon Prime Video/GMAIL etc. all working perfectly.
Leather Origami case.
Moshi iVisor XT screen protector

MS Surface Pro Tablet W/touch KB
64 gig plus Sandisk (junk) 64 gig MicroSD

Lol, I feel sorry for the pathetic posters who beg everybody to thank them in their signatures.....

mike208
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
Unfortunately, that is correct.

I have always used & loved Handcent, but I realized pretty quickly that using Handcent disables all text notifications on the watch
Yeah I tried textra again, but still can't get mms to work on it, so I went back to handcent. Thats a bummer, but the stock app has very little customization

acheney1990
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Thumbs down Appears So

Yes, it appears you are correct. I use the Facebook Messanger app for SMS and it doesn't work. Really unfortunate.

Wrathlon
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by acheney1990 View Post
Yes, it appears you are correct. I use the Facebook Messanger app for SMS and it doesn't work. Really unfortunate.
It works happily alongside Tablet Talk. Tablet Talk and my Gear are both connected via bluetooth to my phone. Any time I get a text, it goes to both my Gear and my Tablet just fine.

parcou
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Darn!!! Took the wind out my question. I use handcent as well it has so many nice functional customizations I cannot go to the default messaging. Could any form of rooting the device open the door up for this or is it the app?
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) (rooted only) by VZW
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (rooted Beans) by VZW
Samsung Gear (rooted NULL)
Samsung Gear 2

(retired) HTC Incredible
(retired) HTC TouchPro 2
(retired) HTC TouchPro
(retired) HTC 6800
...All Verizon Wireless

forty01
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathlon View Post
It works happily alongside Tablet Talk. Tablet Talk and my Gear are both connected via bluetooth to my phone. Any time I get a text, it goes to both my Gear and my Tablet just fine.
I tried using Tablet Talk 1.75 and it keeps craching on the Gear. What version are you using??? Thanks.

lopan2000
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default Go SMS works

I have Go SMS working... Go SMS is controlling the vibrate (so I can use custom vibration patterns), and I have it controlling the LED (change color and blink rate). Also when I press the "show on device" button on the Gear, it goes straight to Go SMS, not the stock messaging.

This is what I did...

I uninstalled Go SMS (I'm not sure if this is necessary), and reinstalled.

In the Go SMS :
In the "Notification Settings":
Enable Notifications --> checked.
In the Defualt notification settings:
Vibrate --> checked.
Blink LED -- checked.

In the "Other setting" menu:
Disable other message notification -- Un-checked

In the stock messaging app:
Under "More" tab:
Notifications --> checked
Select ringtone -- > set to "silent"
Vibrate --> Un-checked
Preview message --> checked.

Open the Application manager in the settings of the phone:
Swipe over to the "ALL" tab, and scroll down until you find the "Messages" app. Un-check "show notifications" This will prevent double notifications in the panel.

This should do it. When I received a text, the first time I clicked "show on device", the option popped up on the phone to select the default program between Go SMS and stock messaging. I clicked Go SMS, and set to "Always". Now it opens up Go SMS everytime.

Hope this helps some of you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lopan2000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mutantblack
Old
Thanks Meter 726
but your method only give you notification that you receive message but doesn't show any message content right?
What I need is able to read text message on gear just like the stock messaging app is. I miss using textra.
Current:
Note 3 White+Gear
S4 White

Old Toys:
Nokia 520, Samsung Note 2, S3 Red, iPhone 5,Galaxy Note, iPhone 4, Samsung Infuse 4g, HTC Inspire 4g,
HD2, Nexus One, HTC Tilt 2, HTC Fuze, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, Samsung Blackjack 2, AT&T 8925 Tilt,
Samsung Blackjack, Cingular 8525, G1, Sony Ericsson P900, Samsung E250, Motorola Razor,
Motorola Flip, Nokia 8850

ih8unot
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty01 View Post
I tried using Tablet Talk 1.75 and it keeps craching on the Gear. What version are you using??? Thanks.
It works with my version as well, 1.9.4 but I just had some issues getting it to work after the latest gear manager update. Basically had to switch it to wifi and back to bletooth before it reconnected and was working again.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900T
Darthstalker ROM V6
TWRP Recovery
Spigen Neo Hybrid Case

Samsung Galaxy Gear SM-V700
Skinomi CF Wrap
Rooted
Null_18
Freefalling V4 Theme
TWRP Recovery