Chromecast playing MKV through browser with sound

Search This thread

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
How did you fix it? I get the same symptom with the VLC plugin. Is it better with the DivX plugin? More importantly, can you select audio tracks with the DivX plugin?

Last edited:

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
Ok :)

I was talking about the no-sound symptom.

Well, I tried installing the DivX plugin and disabling the VLC plugin. Doesn't do me any good, I still get no sound.

But here's something I don't understand: if I disable both and VLC plugin and the DivX plugin (and the Quicktime plugin, and any other plugin that lists video MIME/file types), the mkv file still plays in a player window that looks exactly the same. Chrome's plugin infrastructure seems very poorly implemented and very poorly documented - it's hard to control which plugin plays a file or even to tell which plugin is responsible for playing it. I was able to get mpeg files (and other video files masquerading as mpeg) to play by disabling the Quicktime plugin, but now I'm not sure if the VLC plugin or DivX plugins are doing anything.

Last edited:

aiiee

Mar 4, 2010
I have neither plugin but now Chrome will play an mkv file whereas before ( earlier vs of Chrome? ) it would only download it. However, it will not cast, only a black screen appears on the TV. Time to experiment I guess. :)

EDIT: That plugin changes your default search engine to "Conduit" and you cannot unselect that choice. I hope I can deselect it through normal procedure. I don't like it though.

EDIT: No joy, just a grey screen.

Last edited:

rich345

Jul 19, 2010
I installed plex media server fixed the no sound with mkvs

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
Using this workaround until they release android Plex player for non PlexPass...

Code:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-chromecast/307019-how-cast-mkv-files-your-chromecast.html#post3360771

unr

May 4, 2008
It'll play MKV's and the sound depends on the encoding of the audio. The audio needs to be AAC, it'll even work with AAC 5.1. However, if you try to play a mkv with DTS or AC3 audio, you'll only get video as the audio will not decode. It's actually pretty easy/quick to convert audio only to AAC and leave the video untouched or you can just use plex which will transcode automatically.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
It'll play MKV's and the sound depends on the encoding of the audio. The audio needs to be AAC, it'll even work with AAC 5.1. However, if you try to play a mkv with DTS or AC3 audio, you'll only get video as the audio will not decode. It's actually pretty easy/quick to convert audio only to AAC and leave the video untouched or you can just use plex which will transcode automatically.

Surround in Plex is a little sketchy right now they are working on the transcoder as it currently (for some content) is not passing Rear Channel though the Transcoder or CCast. Plex Devs know about it and are working on it.

You should have no issues if your content is MP4/H264/AAC. Chromecast can play these files without transcoding so if you have issues streaming these types it is most likely a Network issue not an encoding problem.

catexecutive

Oct 10, 2013
Doesn't work for me. Installed the DivX-Plugin, but Chrome will still try to download the MKV instead of playing it.

cindytamiola

Feb 24, 2014
i know a software called idealshare vdieogo in one post of the forum.

it can easily helps me to convert all kinds video like mkv, avi, mp4, mov, flv and etc to chromecast supported format.

then i can easily stream the converted local video from computer to chromecast for play on tv by the following way:
Install Google Chrome Cast Extension
Open chrome or a new tab, and then connect your chrome browser to Chromecast
Drag and drop the video/audio file you want to play into the Chrome browser
Click the browser extension and select "Cast this tab", t

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
Provided you don't increase the Bitrate it should not increase in size by much.

I was afraid you were going to say that. Does the batch section of Handbrake let you pick to transcode in same bitrate audio? I haven't installed it so if I can't then I won't bother to even download it. Thanks for your help!

mabuis

Jan 15, 2013
So let's say I have an mkv that doesn't have aac, per your experience, what's the size change on one? i.e. from 7gb <-> 9gb

I couldn't even tell you right now. I've been using BubbleUpnp and steam from my media server to my chromecast with my phone. Haven't had to convert a file in ages. Sorry. If you want, I'll run some samples for you and post the results. What are you looking for exactly?