Search This thread

crazy4creationstudios

May 6, 2013
Placerville
Okay, so the title might be a little misleading. But I want to start a super-project with a bunch of developers here on XDA to bring 4.4 to Legacy Devices. some of you may laugh at my idea, but the truth is PLENTY of us are either stuck at an old version or hate the custom ROM manufactures put in place on our devices. I recently received an old T mobile sidekick 4G, witch is stuck at Froyo. I want to compile android 4.4 when it releases, to be compatible with my SK4G. I know it seems ridiculous to work on such on old device, but i'm a "Developer on a budget". I'm not asking someone to work on a ROM for me, but it would be cool to get some direction on how to do this. I also want to work on Kit Kat ROM's for the HTC Wildfire S, Huawei Ascend Q, and the Kyocera Hydro Elite.

Thanks to anyone viewing this! If you would like to join my cause and add your device to the list, just comment your device! :D

Kilroy.

Aug 5, 2012
Cologne
I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I think the hardware limits you. I don't believe those phones have enough underneath the hood to run ICS and up.....

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium HD app

If the rumours are true, kitkat is supposed to be far less hungry for hardware performance than JB or ICS. I use an old SE X10 mini pro running a similar processor to the wildfire S, and it was possible to run jb 4.1.2 on it, even though it was pretty laggy.

All in all, with a bit of luck(concerning the rumours), knowledge, compiling and time (not to forgetting a little naive thinking ;) ), it might yet be possible to use kitkat on legacy devices. With that, I would like to add my device to the list and offer whatever help I can.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

azoller1

Aug 4, 2011
My Room
OnePlus 8T
My device isn't really a legacy device and will be easy to get 4.4 on, but if anyone needs help compiling or getting started on building for their device I'll definitely help

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

metalspring

Nov 5, 2011
im no developer but i can tell you it that even if it does take less resources to run kitkat, its all about the drivers...
if kitkat uses drivers newer than what your phone has available then it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible to get it to work right

say for example kitkat requires updated drivers for wifi that are unavailable to your phone, you either find some workaround for it (much harder than it sounds) or you will not have wifi
or say kitkat uses newer graphics drivers your phone doesnt have, then you might not even be able to get the screen to work at all
if workarounds are needed it could take months and months to get it to work at all and with tons of bugs

just take the droid 1 for example, gingerbread wasnt too bad to port to it since there werent a ton of major changes but ics took nearly 6 months to get working and it was still buggy with all the workarounds and that was a very popular early developer device

Roundtableprez

Jun 27, 2011
You certainly won't manage to port it to the sidekick. They never even got cm because that phone uses really odd drivers etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

mwuahjaan

Mar 14, 2012
Please help

My device isn't really a legacy device and will be easy to get 4.4 on, but if anyone needs help compiling or getting started on building for their device I'll definitely help

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

I have a Kyocera Hydro Elite and in my all stupidity I've played way to much with system files. Now the device boots up to Kyocera screen and then lands to Verizon....after a while vibrates there and then restarts.

I cant seem to find a RUU for this device to fix it. I have dump of /system though. A kind soul gave me that. I don't know if that's gonna help.

Thanks in advance.

thelangosta

It's running on the moto defy and there is a group of guys working on a droid x build. Both devices are about 3 years old and have locked bootloaders. Most likely the droid x guys will need an updated recovery in order to get 4.4 to flash. They are so focused on fixing build errors that they might like some help with the recovery.

Here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2507779

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: m.ksy

caspboy

Jan 3, 2014
Charlotte, Nc
Thanks for the in put, but I can figure something out....

See the flaw is, I here tons of people say "Oh, Kitkat 4.4 will run becuase it uses less ram:p", Which is true, but this won't make it possible to run on a 3-6 year old device. Kitkat is more about nand than it is ram. To run kitkat, you device is going to need at least 300mb for system space.

And not to get you red or mad or anything, but I'm going to tell you that this project is far away from possible atm. I've prayed that one day google will become like ubuntu and make it android with almost universal drivers, but its not possible.

See, the flaw to this whole topic is that you left out a key piece of evidence. There are over 500 different android phones and such including android watches, glass, tvs etc. And it takes weeks to months to get a build for just 1 phone stable, and thats if you a great developer. And first you have to find a developer that owns that phone, let alone 500+ devs. And I'm sure most or at least half will want some type of pay for it, cause its not easy.

Sorry man, Im telling you the nicest way:D, but it just is impossible

crazy4creationstudios

May 6, 2013
Placerville
Criteria

See the flaw is, I here tons of people say "Oh, Kitkat 4.4 will run becuase it uses less ram:p", Which is true, but this won't make it possible to run on a 3-6 year old device. Kitkat is more about nand than it is ram. To run kitkat, you device is going to need at least 300mb for system space.

And not to get you red or mad or anything, but I'm going to tell you that this project is far away from possible atm. I've prayed that one day google will become like ubuntu and make it android with almost universal drivers, but its not possible.

See, the flaw to this whole topic is that you left out a key piece of evidence. There are over 500 different android phones and such including android watches, glass, tvs etc. And it takes weeks to months to get a build for just 1 phone stable, and thats if you a great developer. And first you have to find a developer that owns that phone, let alone 500+ devs. And I'm sure most or at least half will want some type of pay for it, cause its not easy.

Sorry man, Im telling you the nicest way:D, but it just is impossible

I have a criteria for this.
Must have 512MB+ of RAM
Must have 1Gb.+ of memory total
Must have a 1Ghz+ processor
Must be running ICS or later.

The_Rencis

Dec 27, 2013
Iecava
GT-I8260

Hi guys! First, this idea is awesome for Legacy device users (like me :D ). Second, i will ask, maybe someone can port any SlimRom to our device, we will be proud, if someone gonna do that. Galaxy Core is good phone, but the problem is, that we don`t have any dev, that can port rom for us. We - Core users are asking for help. Thanks!

graycow9

Mar 10, 2012
West Warwick, RI
Go for it

I recentlybroke my Galaxy S 4G and am back on the Sidekick 4G-- my girlfriend also has the same phone lol. If you could finish up where windxixi left off, Gingerbread would give this phone new life. :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, so the title might be a little misleading. But I want to start a super-project with a bunch of developers here on XDA to bring 4.4 to Legacy Devices. some of you may laugh at my idea, but the truth is PLENTY of us are either stuck at an old version or hate the custom ROM manufactures put in place on our devices. I recently received an old T mobile sidekick 4G, witch is stuck at Froyo. I want to compile android 4.4 when it releases, to be compatible with my SK4G. I know it seems ridiculous to work on such on old device, but i'm a "Developer on a budget". I'm not asking someone to work on a ROM for me, but it would be cool to get some direction on how to do this. I also want to work on Kit Kat ROM's for the HTC Wildfire S, Huawei Ascend Q, and the Kyocera Hydro Elite.

Thanks to anyone viewing this! If you would like to join my cause and add your device to the list, just comment your device! :D
    I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I think the hardware limits you. I don't believe those phones have enough underneath the hood to run ICS and up.....

If the rumours are true, kitkat is supposed to be far less hungry for hardware performance than JB or ICS. I use an old SE X10 mini pro running a similar processor to the wildfire S, and it was possible to run jb 4.1.2 on it, even though it was pretty laggy.

All in all, with a bit of luck(concerning the rumours), knowledge, compiling and time (not to forgetting a little naive thinking ;) ), it might yet be possible to use kitkat on legacy devices. With that, I would like to add my device to the list and offer whatever help I can.

im no developer but i can tell you it that even if it does take less resources to run kitkat, its all about the drivers...
    if kitkat uses drivers newer than what your phone has available then it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible to get it to work right

say for example kitkat requires updated drivers for wifi that are unavailable to your phone, you either find some workaround for it (much harder than it sounds) or you will not have wifi
    or say kitkat uses newer graphics drivers your phone doesnt have, then you might not even be able to get the screen to work at all
    if workarounds are needed it could take months and months to get it to work at all and with tons of bugs

just take the droid 1 for example, gingerbread wasnt too bad to port to it since there werent a ton of major changes but ics took nearly 6 months to get working and it was still buggy with all the workarounds and that was a very popular early developer device
    How's mine?... :D :good:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app