Bluetooth A2DP stutter cuts out while streaming music

Search This thread

Zylograth

Oct 31, 2005
Clearwater, Fl.
I have noticed since I upgraded from GS3 to Note 3 that when I am streaming music to my car stereo the audio will skip or stutter. The song continues to play but the audio cuts out for anywhere up to a second or two. Has anyone else seen this or resolved it?

I have seen some posts that say turning off WiFi fixed it but I still get the skip, if a little less frequently with WiFi turned off.

It seems to go away if I set the developer options to keep the screen awake while charging. So it seems like the CPU clock may be too low during sleep to maintain everything else it is doing as well as audio streaming.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Zylograth

Oct 31, 2005
Clearwater, Fl.
Stock ROM? Stock Kernel? Need more info from both of you.

Sounds like the CPU might be dropping too low when the screen is off, causing the stuttering. You could try a custom kernel with a higher screen off frequency.

Used to happen on my S2 and this was the problem...

Full stock, I believe that is the problem as it is pretty much resolved when I leave the screen on. Still testing this here and there to be sure.

Xupack

Oct 12, 2013
Full stock, I believe that is the problem as it is pretty much resolved when I leave the screen on. Still testing this here and there to be sure.

I have the same problem on my GN3 international version and yes leaving the screen on WILL solve it. However, that's not a practical solution.

Try this, download Poweramp, go into settings, audio, advanced tweaks, set the audio buffer size to Large (+250ms) and audio thread priority to +2

See if that works for you. If it does, then buy the full version even though I like the timbre effect and bass on the stock music player but this is the only solution, so far.

YellowGTO

Jul 3, 2007
PA
Samsung Galaxy Z Phone 4
I have noticed since I upgraded from GS3 to Note 3 that when I am streaming music to my car stereo the audio will skip or stutter. The song continues to play but the audio cuts out for anywhere up to a second or two. Has anyone else seen this or resolved it?

I have seen some posts that say turning off WiFi fixed it but I still get the skip, if a little less frequently with WiFi turned off.

It seems to go away if I set the developer options to keep the screen awake while charging. So it seems like the CPU clock may be too low during sleep to maintain everything else it is doing as well as audio streaming.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

What headunit? I run Kenwood KDC-X995, and never had an issue with it cutting out. THe headunit wouldn't display track info though. The way I fixed this is connecting via the Stock Samsung media player., Everything has been a dream since

djtheraven

Jun 1, 2008
I had this problem and it just went away after a few reboots and some time. ..

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Esteef

Sep 12, 2010
A2DP loss

Note 3 Owner here. Rooted with stock ROM and stock kernel. (T-Mobile)

Experiencing intermittent Bluetooth audio loss as well.

Just contributing to the list.

-Steven M

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
BTW, what player are y'all using? In power amp there is an option for keep service awake if music.stops while.playing with screen off. And there is also option to use a wake lock also. I am not having any problems nor have I ever so I can't help. The only other suggestion I have is maybe your radio Bluetooth sucks. I went through a period of testing many Bluetooth headset and receivers a couple years ago. Needed something good to listen to my music while I rode my bike. Many of the Bluetooth I tested were very sensitive to the bumps and vibration while riding hard on my mountain bike. The only solution for those were to put receiver right next to my phone. Being in my pocket was too far away or something. I ended up sticking with Sony mw600 as all purpose. It could take any headset, and I was able to use it as a receiver in my truck as it didn't have Bluetooth. Now I also have a Honda civic with built in Bluetooth and all is well. My Sony mw600 oled stopped working though so in on lookout for a nice apt x receiver.

sent from my sm-9005.

Zylograth

Oct 31, 2005
Clearwater, Fl.
I am using a Sony DSX-S300BTX and have had no previous issues with my HTC Sensation 4G or my Galaxy S3. It only started when I got my Note 3. I use Google Play Music with the All Access service.

Zylograth

Oct 31, 2005
Clearwater, Fl.
Just an update on this. Over the weekend I did a factory reset and this time I did not let it restore settings and apps from my Google account. I went through and installed all the same apps i was using before. And so far I have only noticed 1 stutter/cut out since then. And if I am correct, this only happened when I was leaving my house and it switched from Wifi to 4G LTE on the stream.

Will continue to monitor and see if the issue comes back. But so far I am rather happy.

hctimin

Jan 13, 2011
I have the same problem on my GN3 international version and yes leaving the screen on WILL solve it. However, that's not a practical solution.

Try this, download Poweramp, go into settings, audio, advanced tweaks, set the audio buffer size to Large (+250ms) and audio thread priority to +2

See if that works for you. If it does, then buy the full version even though I like the timbre effect and bass on the stock music player but this is the only solution, so far.
Trying this recommended app/setting combination, and hope that the skipping stops on the A2DP connection in the car. *crosses fingers*

Deekayy

Jan 29, 2010
Trying this recommended app/setting combination, and hope that the skipping stops on the A2DP connection in the car. *crosses fingers*

I came from the Note 2 to the Note 3 and I'm fearing that it's 4.3 that is causing the bluetooth intermittent issue. Whether or not I stream from Pandora or my music player, I get the stutter. Doesn't matter what ROM I use between hyperdrive and beans too. Someone said it could be the adblock that is causing the stutter but I don't have that installed at all. Getting pretty frustrating.

hctimin

Jan 13, 2011
Ended up not working for me,...but keeping the screen on did seem to eliminate the skipping.

Wonder if there's anyway to force Bluetooth not to sleep,....

Xupack

Oct 12, 2013
I came from the Note 2 to the Note 3 and I'm fearing that it's 4.3 that is causing the bluetooth intermittent issue. Whether or not I stream from Pandora or my music player, I get the stutter. Doesn't matter what ROM I use between hyperdrive and beans too. Someone said it could be the adblock that is causing the stutter but I don't have that installed at all. Getting pretty frustrating.

I ONLY get the stutter when using the stock music player. It never happens when using, for example, TuneIn Radio.

I exchanged 2 Note 3's. The first one had the stutter problem so I returned it. The second one had NO stutter problems but overheated from time to time, exchanged as well. The third one doesn't over heat but, unfortunately, has the stutter problem. So, I just gave up. The PowerAmp solution works for me, though.

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Ended up not working for me,...but keeping the screen on did seem to eliminate the skipping.

Wonder if there's anyway to force Bluetooth not to sleep,....

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

Someone mentioned increasing the minimum CPU frequency and that would solve it. Try upping it to 400Mhz see what happens but this will definitely drain your battery more than usual.

deeznutz1977

Jul 4, 2010
cHARMcity,MD

The same thing happened to me on the note 2.... actually the n3 isn't as bad as the n2 was. Fwiw

sent from my ??????? note 3?

Zylograth

Oct 31, 2005
Clearwater, Fl.
SO I have started to notice that it isn't actually the stream stuttering, but a short disconnect of the bluetooth. I noticed that when the music cuts out, it also drops the media connection to my car stereo, in that the artist and song title disappear until the connection comes back. Seems like a bad bluetooth stack or something as I tested a Nexus 5 and do not have this issue at all. And I never had a problem on my GS3.

Hopefully the 4.4.2 update will resolve this issue. Whenever that may be...

MRguyandhis2

Jul 19, 2011
I have this problem as well, (stock rom rooted, stock kernel) I use power amp. now however I cant stream my music through bluetooth at all, but when a call comes in, it streams. Doing a little digging into my phone, my N3 seems to think im in a call, and only plays my music through the speaker for your ear. it only started a few hours ago. even when I am not connected to bluetooth, it still plays music through the same speaker. tried uninstall reinstall. I did update apps earlier when I got home (ove wifi). once they were done, that seems to be when this issue started.

any help/suggestions?