Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 41,964 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REVIEW] KiDiGi Wireless Charging Dock for Google New Nexus 7 (2013)

Tip us?

SUer
Old
(Last edited by SUer; 24th November 2013 at 07:35 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Default [REVIEW] KiDiGi Wireless Charging Dock for Google New Nexus 7 (2013)

PROS:

I picked one of these up on eBay (UK) for about 30, delivered from Hong Kong.

Received it in 7 days.

The build quality is good.

It's powerful enough to keep the tablet charged whilst the daydream is running.

CONS:

The light on the front is actually very bright, but I suppose a small label can block this out. Not an ideal design idea, though, especially as it blinks whilst charging and can make your dark bedroom flash.

The charger that comes with it is high powered enough for the job, although my wife complains that she can hear it buzz (or the dock buzzes, I'm not sure which), I hear it also and it is rather annoying.

The main issue is, though, when you place the tablet in the dock, there is a beep to tell you it is connected and charging, and let me tell you, the charging beep is absolutely deafening and can easily wake my baby when I put it in the dock before I get in bed.

The notification beep is a completely useless feature that only serves to wind the customer up. The tablet will tell you it's charging anyway, and also the flashing LED on the front (that should have been static and much dimmer).

Initially, when I first used it, the dock reached full charge and just kept silently topping up without the notification beep, so it was bearable. But (and this is a BIG 'but') the last couple of nights it started beeping every 30 seconds as the daydream took the battery down to 99% and the dock reconnected to top it back up. It is very annoying when this starts happening as it can happen twice, sometimes even 3 times a minute until you take the tablet off the dock. It's so ill-thought-out it's almost laughable (or it's a fault, I'm not entirely sure?).

Curiously, the first time it did this, I rebooted the tablet and it stopped the dock beeping whilst it was maintaining 100%, it just kept the tablet charging silently, but last night after about an hour on charge (in the middle of the night) it started doing it again. I had to get up and take the tablet off the dock - it's the only solution I'm afraid. The really infuriating thing is, this beep is so ludicrously loud, I couldn't even put the dock in my spare bedroom and use it as a charger, as it is loud enough to wake my other children in the rooms next door!

Therefore, in conclusion and unfortunately, I have to warn you NOT to buy one of these if you don't like the idea of cracking it open and attempting to disable the speaker. I might write to the manufacturer if I get time, and see what their thoughts are. I'll let you know if this happens and what the response is.

CONCLUSION:

A VERY stupid couple of design ideas ruin what is an otherwise well made feeling dock!

UPDATE:

I wrote to KiDiGi and they replied immediately and explained that I could "cut the wire to disconnect the beeper". I think maybe something was lost in translation as I popped it open and found this:

Well it's hardly easy to disable the speaker as the speaker is actually soldered to the main board (and I don't have a soldering iron to remove it). So I decided to disable it with brute force. Not ideal, granted, but the dock is useless with the speaker activated, so I guess I've little to lose. Clearly the suggestion of cutting the wire will disable the LED not the speaker, but I don't want to disable the LED, it's useful, just too darn bright and annoying, it's the beep that is the main issue:

So I decided to take a folk prong and placed it in the hole of the plastic speaker cover and prise it upwards, with the hope the speaker would come away from the board. It didn't, it just broke the black plastic casing around the speaker. Once this had happened, I used the folk prong to remove the little metal speaker baffle inside. To do this I inserted the folk prong into the side of the speaker baffle and prised the metal disc out. It's a 30 second job, but far from an elegant solution.

Whilst I was there, I decided to address the LED. I placed a folded piece of paper between the LED and the cover. This time this was a simple and elegant solution as I didn't want to cut the wire completely. A little LED is useful when it isn't turning your room into a disco:

The net result is; that the dock now doesn't beep when the tablet is inserted and the LED is very dim, so doesn't flash so brightly, and is only really visible in a dark room at night:

It wasn't a tasking job, anyone could do it, but it's frustrating that you need to do it.

The manufacturer has agreed to send me a new dock without the beeper, but I won't hold my breath.

I did actually hear the charger noise my wife was complaining about last night, too. It is rather irritating, but I'll try another charger and see if that solves it. If the manufacturer sticks to their word and sends me another dock, hopefully this will be resolved, too, as it seems to be a faulty batch of chargers that are causing it?

UPDATE:

Just a quick update, I received my replacement from the manufacturer and can confirm they've removed the annoying beeper. They've also dimmed the LED and the buzz from the charger is gone. Fair's fair, they listened to the customer and have now created a cracking product and I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

To the guy asking about if the case would work. I still don't have a case for mine, so it's hard to say, but if you look at the bottom where the tablet slots in, it seems big enough to take a case too as it is a graduating slot, if you know what I mean. What I was unsure about was if the charging would work through the case, so I tried to emulate this by jamming a notepad behind the tablet. There is approximately 20 sheets of paper and a huge gap between the tablet and the back pad of the dock, and it still charged, so I guess technically it should work, but couldn't 100% confirm it. Hope this helps and sorry for the really slow reply.

Excuse the dust, it's my office monitor base, my wife would be notified if she knew I'd posted this picture!💻

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SUer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mssam
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Nice! Might have to look into picking up one for myself...

rexant1
Old
Thanks Meter 37
That looks exactly like the one from mobile fun UK

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/qi-wirele...013-p40566.htm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

soh_vet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUer View Post
Just wanted to let everybody know that I picked one of these up on eBay (UK) for 40, delivered from Hong Kong.

Received it in 7 days and it works like a charm. Couldn't be more happy with it. It has a very solid build quality, as good as the official Asus one I had for my old N7, and you get a really high quality and powerful (USB) charger bundled.

Highly recommended.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Was looking into this as well, as i use my SGS3 w/ charger/dock as my bedside alarm clock and want to replace it with my Nexus 7. The one thing i've read that isn't good is it has a "charging" light when on stand and a beeping noise upon fully charge (that also goes off after fully charge drops and charges again). Can you confirm this? Thanks.

heggood
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Does it work with a poetic slimline case attached?

SUer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexant1 View Post
That looks exactly like the one from mobile fun UK

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/qi-wirele...013-p40566.htm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
It is. I thought the price was a little steep so found it in Hong Kong cheaper.

SUer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by heggood View Post
Does it work with a poetic slimline case attached?
Not sure I'm afraid, I don't have a case for it yet...but do have a dent in the side and big scratch on the screen where I dropped it in a MacDonald's car park and it went for a slide under a car. I can at least confirm that a 4ft drop onto concrete is survivable, just!

SUer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by soh_vet View Post
Was looking into this as well, as i use my SGS3 w/ charger/dock as my bedside alarm clock and want to replace it with my Nexus 7. The one thing i've read that isn't good is it has a "charging" light when on stand and a beeping noise upon fully charge (that also goes off after fully charge drops and charges again). Can you confirm this? Thanks.
The jury is still out on this a bit. The light is pretty dim and doesn't really bother me, and a small label can block this out.

But the charging beep is deafening. Initially, when first used it, the dock reached full charge and just kept silently topping up, but the last couple of nights it did start beeping every 30 seconds as the daydream took the battery down to 99% and the dock reconnected to top it up. I'm not too concerned personally, as I'll just open it up and disconnect that speaker, but it is very annoying when this starts happening as it can happen a few times a minutes until you take the tablet off the dock.

Curiously, the first time it did this, I rebooted the tablet and it stopped the dock beeping, it just kept the tablet charging silently, but last night after about an hour on charge (in the middle of the night) it started doing it again. Therefore, unfortunately, I have to warn you not to buy one of these if you don't like the idea of cracking it open and disabling the speaker.

A VERY, VERY stupid design fault!

SUer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mssam View Post
Nice! Might have to look into picking up one for myself...
Read the updated review in the OP please mate!

soh_vet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
that's a shame. i'm still looking for another dock charger i can use in landscape for my alarm clock. some day.