[APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs.

Search This thread

TheRealGreenVirus

Oct 20, 2010
I think that it was only a random problem. My computer was running the whole day yesterday and I had all kind of Apps running. It seems to be fixed right now. I just restarted my Computer and they disappeared.

TheRealGreenVirus

Oct 20, 2010
thanks for this fix

"When editing an already existing tile, the old tile files will be deleted right away."

I had that happen to me a few times. It usually worked once I restarted my computer.

Spud387

Jun 23, 2011
Delta, BC
Hi guys,

What are you doing to create images in the correct size? When I roughly estimate the dimension ratios edges get cut off or the image is squished to make it fit. What are the ratios or dimensions we should be using for the different tile sizes?

thx guys

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Hi guys,

What are you doing to create images in the correct size? When I roughly estimate the dimension ratios edges get cut off or the image is squished to make it fit. What are the ratios or dimensions we should be using for the different tile sizes?

thx guys

Small Tile: 30x30, 42x42, 54x54.
Tiny Tile: 56x56, 70x70, 98x98, 126x126.
Square Tile: 120x120, 150x150, 210x210, 270x270.
Wide Tile: 248x120, 310x150, 434x210, 558x270.
Large Tile: 248x248, 310x310, 434x434, 558x558.

Reactions: Spud387

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
View attachment 2404458

I googled the image again, it works if I recreate the tile with the new image. Old tile still stays black

I have created a tile with the picture you posted by using OblyTile v0.9.1, and i edited the tile with OblyTile 0.9.7, the tile colors and transparency changed correctly.

Maybe is one of the issues with the cache system.

I added it on the list of things to fix. :good:

Motawa88

Oct 9, 2011
Hamburg
will you add "live tiles" in the future? baseically a tile with more pictures in the specific mode (wide,small etc)

Last edited:

faiz5200

Apr 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Column

hi, anyone know how to change the default number of column in start screen? (default is 2) . I know there a way to change number of row.
Let say on the first row i put wide tile. Is there any way to put another tile on the same row instead of fill the entire column first or make a new page.

hairyfingers

Dec 1, 2007
URL open for immersive web browser

Hi

Great work. Will we be able to specify a website for the immersive web browser in future, like we can for the non immersive using the parameters box?

thanks

Reactions: Argony-OT

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Hello,

Is there a way to change the padding of the tiles?
hi, anyone know how to change the default number of column in start screen? (default is 2) . I know there a way to change number of row.
Let say on the first row i put wide tile. Is there any way to put another tile on the same row instead of fill the entire column first or make a new page.
I don't know if there's a way to change the padding and the default number of column. :(

Hi
Great work. Will we be able to specify a website for the immersive web browser in future, like we can for the non immersive using the parameters box?
thanks
Yes, I'll add this feature in future. :good:

doktrjones

Dec 20, 2012
When I search from the start screen, these found items won't have a name next to them, only the icon.
please disregard this comment, either I had an old version of oblytile or something else was wrong X). Everything works perfect for me great job!

Last edited:
Reactions: Argony-OT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This program is meant to create tiles to the Windows 8/8.1 start screen.

I created it in vb.net using SharpDevelop, it works for all programs/folder/files/websites.

The program will store the image files inside the folder "C:\Program Files\OblyTile" and create the Shortcut .LNK file inside the StartMenu folder.

If you want to remove a Tile, right click it on the start screen/menu and select "Remove From Start" or select a tile on the OblyTile Created Tile list and press the recycle bin button located on bottom right of OblyTile.

OblyTile has support for command line, you can check the list of available commands by running OblyTile with the "/?" as argument.

To remove OblyTile and revert to default windows settings you have to run OblyTile as administrator and click the Remove button located in the settings menu [Click the Wrench icon on top of OblyTile to access the settings menu]

Note: Do not expect a Windows 10 version anytime soon. Why?

Old Versions:
    OblyTile v0.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.7/0.7.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.2 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.6 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.7 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.8 (ChangeLog)

Latest Version:
    OblyTile v0.9.9

ChangeLog:
    • [Win 8.1] Added ability to pin the Tiles at different Sizes when created/edited. [Via UI or Command Line Arguments]
    • [Win 8.1] OblyTile will now export and import tiles in correct order and size. [No groups]
    • Added "Desktop" in the QuickList.
    • New tiles will be shown with proper name and icon on Classic Shell. [32px icon only]
    • Enhanced the OblyTile "Remove" function. [You can find it in the Settings menu]
    • Tile exporter will create a new backup folder just in case you want to keep old backups.
    • Possible fix for the Browser/Home keyboard button not opening the correct web browser.
    • Possible fix for the loop issue that causes OblyTile to open itself multiple times. (Thanks to Steel Froggy)
    • Fixed issue with the tile preview showing double borders.
    • Fixed issue with the Windows Store Apps list not being able to create desktop/taskbar shortcuts for certain apps.
    • Fixed other minor stuffs.
    • Small changes to the UI. [Dpi, Transitions, Context Menu]
    Known Issues:
    • Make a backup of your tiles before upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you might lose your custom tiles during the process of upgrade. (Thanks to LLJKRevol)
    • Tiles which contain accented letters in the tile name can be edited only by OblyTile v0.9.8 and above.
    • In order to launch the Immersive mode of your web browser by using a tile made with OblyTile, be sure to close the desktop version of it.
    • If the Browser/Home button doesn't work properly, open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are not showed properly (a normal icon is showed) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are visible only on the "App" side of the start screen (Windows 8.1) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • Changing web browser will show multiple entry of Internet Explorer, Use "Set Default Programs" in Control Panel to change your default web browser and then press the Rebuild Cache button on OblyTile.
    • If "Rebuild cache" does not work, try >> this <<
    • In case of the error Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.ValidateKeyName or similar, try >> this <<
    • If the tile will not react when you click it (the program or file will not be opened) follow those steps VBScript - Fix
    • OblyTile does not work on some WinPE/WimBoot installations
    Tested on:
    Windows 8.1 Professional Build 9600 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8.1 Core Build 9600 - 64 Bit (Thanks to Timo)
    Windows 8 Professional Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8 Enterprise Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Microsoft Surface RT 32GB /w Jailbreak (Thanks to netham45)

Use this program at your own risk.

md5 Hash:
    f54db82cdf8b1cf13430db43b743ad22

Download from:

Firedrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

OneDrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Mega:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Dropbox:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

App Images:
    View attachment 2877100 View attachment 2362073 View attachment 1837929 View attachment 1505786 View attachment 1404991 View attachment 1358506
    Current State of OblyTile on Windows 10

Hey all,

To start; I'd like to thank all of you over the past 3 years for the support you've given me and the appreciation towards the work I've done. I really can't tell you how much it means and the confidence it has given me to explore what I do and continue improving.

I am trying my best to find a way for OblyTile to work on Windows 10, however I have stumbled in to some compatibility issues and so far I haven't figured out a way around these and just wanted to make you all aware that it may not be possible for OblyTile to work on Windows 10.

I'll keep trying.

With that being said, any progression I make will be updated right here. Along with any news or other possible avenues for me to explore. But don't expect anything in the immediate future as MS have changed the OS from their first builds and these issues aren't small as what was possible, is no longer.

Thank you once again,
    Argony.
    Tile Set

Here is the set of tiles i have been creating.

This is what i call my over sized plain high contrast pack. +-70 Icons

Windows Tile Set

I am starting to work on a High Resolution Realism set. If you are going to use the set and you have some specific programs you wish to have done please just pm me.

Please Thank me if you like them.
    Hi, I've posted some screenshot of the evolution of my start page using OblyTile HERE, feel free to have a look if you'd like :)

Also, I've done a model for GIMP for creating tiles (including the right dimension of the image and the correct font and size of it) and a ZIP archives with the tiles i've created.

Some of them comes from a FANTASTIC metro UI tiles set that Devianart user ~dAKirby309 created. You can find the whole set HERE, check it out! The other ones are made by images of the games and the applications I own, searching 'em on Google Images.

Hope this helps the community! :)
    Great app! Makes Windows 8 worth while. One small suggestion though, It would be nice if it made a 30x30 image automatically from the 120x120 image (or just have it as an option).

New version released! (v0.8.8)

The function you request is included on this new version.

Infos and Download on main page