XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Solution for soft-bricked N9005 after flashing Hong Kong's TGY firmware

Tip us?

doclucas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default Solution for soft-bricked N9005 after flashing Hong Kong's TGY firmware

I am posting this to help people who ran across the same problem I did the past 24 hours, which drove me crazy and it was quite difficult to find any info on it.
I bought my N9005 on eBay from a Hong Kong seller. I just updated it with Kies and noticed that sammobile.com has a newer MJ8 firmware, so I figured I'd just download it and flash it via Odin.
Kies shows my mobile as XME (Malaysia region), but I guessed it should work just fine, and boy was I wrong.
Moments after trying to flash it, it failed, but it did manage to flash the beginning of the firmware, which was the new MJ bootloader. That newer bootloader does not allow any other firmware with older bootloader be flashed on the phone. Not even Kies's emergency recovery was able to revive my phone which was stuck in emergency download mode.
When trying to flash I got all sorts of errors, such as:
invalid ext4 image
and
CHECK FAIL : fused : 2 , Binary : 1. (when trying to install the older XME Malaysian Firmware on top of the new bootloader)

To make a very long story short, after almost giving up and start waiting for a Malaysian firmware with the new bootloader to be released, I ran across the UK MJ6 BTU rom which does have the new bootloader too and decided to try flashing it. To my amazement - this worked and my phone is back to life! phewwwww!

This is a download link to the BTU MJ6 firmware:
http://www.hotfile.com/dl/252753467/...4_BTU.zip.html

Hope this helps others!

P.S. If this information helped you, please click the "THANKS" button below. It's free of charge.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to doclucas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

uscool
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclucas View Post
I am posting this to help people who ran across the same problem I did the past 24 hours, which drove me crazy and it was quite difficult to find any info on it.
I bought my N9005 on eBay from a Hong Kong seller. I just updated it with Kies and noticed that sammobile.com has a newer MJ8 firmware, so I figured I'd just download it and flash it via Odin.
Kies shows my mobile as XME (Malaysia region), but I guessed it should work just fine, and boy was I wrong.
Moments after trying to flash it, it failed, but it did manage to flash the beginning of the firmware, which was the new MJ bootloader. That newer bootloader does not allow any other firmware with older bootloader be flashed on the phone. Not even Kies's emergency recovery was able to revive my phone which was stuck in emergency download mode.
When trying to flash I got all sorts of errors, such as:
invalid ext4 image
and
CHECK FAIL : fused : 2 , Binary : 1. (when trying to install the older XME Malaysian Firmware on top of the new bootloader)

To make a very long story short, after almost giving up and start waiting for a Malaysian firmware with the new bootloader to be released, I ran across the UK MJ6 BTU rom which does have the new bootloader too and decided to try flashing it. To my amazement - this worked and my phone is back to life! phewwwww!

This is a download link to the BTU MJ6 firmware:
http://www.hotfile.com/dl/252753467/...4_BTU.zip.html

Hope this helps others!

P.S. If this information helped you, please click the "THANKS" button below. It's free of charge.
Thanks buddy for helping me, got me up and running again
The Following User Says Thank You to uscool For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

doclucas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
You're welcome, mate!
The Following User Says Thank You to doclucas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

budalica
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Default Softbrick

Thank you thank you thank you thank you .
I always liked Hong Kong roms on note one and two and I thought I can continue the tradition .
Softbricked it , and no solution anywhere . I installed this and voila . Back in business . I also installed MJ7 on top now all is good .
Have I said thank you ?
Well thank you !
Sometimes you have a bad day , sometimes you have a good day . Today is one of them .

doclucas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by budalica View Post
Thank you thank you thank you thank you .

Have I said thank you ?
Well thank you !
You're welcome. Did you press the "Thank you" button?
The Following User Says Thank You to doclucas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yinchan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks a lot. Without your post, my phone will still be bricked.
SM-N9005

tiamo1314
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default hh

That day! ! Me too

celderic
Old
Thanks Meter 150
Useful info, I'm sure this will be of use in many situations.
Thankyou.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

lalahamid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscool View Post
Thanks buddy for helping me, got me up and running again
could someone please upload that firmware again on some other hoster? because hostfile isnt working anymore. couldnt find the file on any other server by myself.

vndnguyen
Old
(Last edited by vndnguyen; 10th December 2013 at 09:02 AM.)
Thanks Meter 443

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahamid View Post
could someone please upload that firmware again on some other hoster? because hostfile isnt working anymore. couldnt find the file on any other server by myself.
Here is the newer version from UK BTU: N9005XXUDMJ7_N9005OXADMJ4_BTU.zip

http://terafile.co/29f621508415