5,605,250 Members 37,961 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Release][v0.1][KyoCast] Your ticket outside the Google Garden for rooted Chromecasts

Tip us?

ahecht
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyonz View Post
I'm not sure of the original path for this but https://mega.co.nz/#!QhoGXDgR!b_-w_D...aJG7jDrlsn3B1I

Download extract to a folder, run mongoose (which launches at localhost:8080) and browse to http://localhost:8080/demo_app.html , from there you can enter the app name you want to launch and any data params (which is what we don't know for these services)
Original source for those files is https://github.com/googlecast/cast-c...ive/master.zip
The Following User Says Thank You to ahecht For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AECRADIO
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default Chromecast...Update list.

I know I have seen several Chromecast units at my local ChinaMart, and I also know, they have been there for quite some time too.
What puzzles me is this.
If Google provided an update to lock up the module, would those remaining modules on the store's shelves be a prior issue, and not updated before they were shipped out?

I would spend the $35.00 if I had some information on the actual update date/time, so if there would be a way to check for this on the device's box, to see if and when they shipped with or without this update.

I have looked at this device many times, and almost bought one, but decided against it after reading the reviews on it.
As a tinker toy, it would be worth the learning cost, as a serious media device, well, that is yet to be seen.

Thanks for all your assistance and generous efforts getting this unlocked and shared with so many!

faalkor
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I purchased a chromecast at Best Buy 2 weeks ago and was able to apply root no problem.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to faalkor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kyonz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 201

DONATE TO ME
Chromecast Dashboard Added 14/11/2013 - https://github.com/boombatower/chromecast-dashboard for more information

Kyonz
Old
(Last edited by Kyonz; 13th November 2013 at 12:15 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 201

DONATE TO ME
Fling is now working successfully under KyoCast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kyonz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MadBob
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Awesome going to try it out, thanks

Kyonz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 201

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBob View Post
Awesome going to try it out, thanks
Let me know how it goes, Credit to ddggttff3 for the heads up on how to fix it though
The Following User Says Thank You to Kyonz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MadBob
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Just tried your dashboard and it sends pages to my CC, not really sure what it is for though as you cannot interact with the page.

Tried Fling 0.6 situated in my VLC folder, and although it finds my device, nothing I drag to it does anything.

Tried MP4 AVI MKV

Kyonz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 201

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBob View Post
Just tried your dashboard nd it sends pages to my CC, not really sure what it is for though as you cannot interact with the page.

Tried Fling 0.6 situated in my VLC folder, and although it finds my device, nothing I drag to it does anything.

Tried MP4 AVI MKV
Launch fling with "java -jar fling.jar ChromeCast"

MadBob
Old
(Last edited by MadBob; 13th November 2013 at 02:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15
Getting somewhere.

Added command line to batch file dropped into VLC folder along side fling.jar, ran batch file to load Fling.

Now MP4 is playing but not AVI or MKV.

EDIT - I changed the Fling Settings (removed the MKV extension from the list of file-types) and dropping an MKV file worked but with the "large black band at the screen bottom" problem.

EDIT 2 - Removed the AVI file extension from the list of types to transcode (as I did with MKV) and the CC screen goes black but nothing playing, possible file resolution issue?

EDIT 3 - Tested a few other AVI files and they changed the TV to black/
white/black and then dropped back to the CC screen. another MKV played full screen superb quality, so it looks to be a bit hit-and-miss and down to the spec's of the file type

BUT fantastic job getting this working!