[Q] Failed Odin now Bricked

OP Jacef8

14th November 2013, 12:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Well to start off I have Verizon GS4 i bought back around July. I rooted it shortly there after. Skip to now, with the latest OTA update to 4.2.2 I kept postponing it everytime my phone would try to ask me to download and install it. Unfortunately my wife or kid I guess had my phone and when that prompt came up they did not tell it to postpone it and at 1 am one night my phone took the update. That was about a week or so ago. Since then my phone lost root, and has not been acting right, very slow at times, random restarts.... So I was trying to flash using ODIN which I have never done before back to a stock image and just take the OTA and wait to root again in the future. I am 99.9% sure I checked my phone and saw that the OTA did install and I was on 4.2.2 build ML1. But in my haste to get my phone back to stock it seems I may have try to flash an incorrect file or some other mistake and now when I put the battery back into my phone it goes directly to "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please use Software Repair assistant & try again." or I can boot into download mode. Those are my only two options. I have downloaded multiple files from all over this site, but the majority of them I have having problems opening them with 7zip which seems to be the popular choice. When I attempt to unzip a file to place it in ODIN, 7zip error message says "cannot open 'blahblah blah.tar.zip' as archive. This error goes for the majority of the files I am downloading. Are they corrupt? Should I try something different with 7zip? Thanks everybody.
14th November 2013, 02:22 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,556

1,916 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacef8

Well to start off I have Verizon GS4 i bought back around July. I rooted it shortly there after. Skip to now, with the latest OTA update to 4.2.2 I kept postponing it everytime my phone would try to ask me to download and install it. Unfortunately my wife or kid I guess had my phone and when that prompt came up they did not tell it to postpone it and at 1 am one night my phone took the update. That was about a week or so ago. Since then my phone lost root, and has not been acting right, very slow at times, random restarts.... So I was trying to flash using ODIN which I have never done before back to a stock image and just take the OTA and wait to root again in the future. I am 99.9% sure I checked my phone and saw that the OTA did install and I was on 4.2.2 build ML1. But in my haste to get my phone back to stock it seems I may have try to flash an incorrect file or some other mistake and now when I put the battery back into my phone it goes directly to "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please use Software Repair assistant & try again." or I can boot into download mode. Those are my only two options. I have downloaded multiple files from all over this site, but the majority of them I have having problems opening them with 7zip which seems to be the popular choice. When I attempt to unzip a file to place it in ODIN, 7zip error message says "cannot open 'blahblah blah.tar.zip' as archive. This error goes for the majority of the files I am downloading. Are they corrupt? Should I try something different with 7zip? Thanks everybody.

The "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue" is what you get when you try to flash software that's older than what the phone expects. (As well as other issues, like corrupt firmware.)

If you're having problems unzipping the downloaded image, you're probably getting a corrupt download. However, if you're on windows, I'd just use the built-in ZIP handling and see if that is able to open the file.

To make sure you're downloading the right thing:
What you need to do, since you're on MI1 (not ML1), is to get the no-wipe image for that phone and flash it in ODIN.
The no-wipe images can be found in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2301259
Read the first post, get the proper ROM for your phone, then flash it over what you have.
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th November 2013, 02:28 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Alright i'll give it another go. Ive been to that thread many times and I have downloaded those files but i am at work with a different internet connection and I will download again and see if they will work this time. Thanks
14th November 2013, 09:48 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Well I attempted to download the files you linked too but once again they wouldn't unzip for some reason. But I did do some searching and found this link. w w w droidviews.com/how-to-unbrick-your-bricked-samsung-galaxy-s4-gt-i9500-gt-i9505 It has information and files to unbrick many of the big carriers GS4's. I downloaded the file for the verizon one and flashed useing ODIN and in 10 mins all is good.It did wipe everything but no big deal. Better than an expensive paperweight.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread