[Q] DNA to Straight Talk T-Mobile vs AT&T

Search This thread

b_hermon

Oct 9, 2008
*EDIT*

After thinking about it some more, I think I may have gotten the answer. Since you're using a GSM SIM card in the phone and treating as a GSM unlocked phone, you don't need to worry about the MEID. Right? Just put in the SIM and you're up and running. At the very least, put it in another phone, activate it, then swap it into the DNA. Or do you not even need to do that? But using it on VZ through ST isn't possible though.

Another question for you guys. How did you activate your DNA's on ST? I went to their phone information page and it told me "The MEID/Serial Number you entered is not recognized as a compatible phone for the purpose of this Registration process." That seems to confirm the whole "we won't allow 4g CDMA phones on our network" But I've read enough instances where I know people have done it. I know with GSM BYOP phones you need to connect it to a particular SIM card but with CDMA, since they don't use SIM Cards (for 3g usage), you just register the MEID number. So how'd you guys do it? Get your service on a different CDMA phone then just transfer service to the DNA? Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

b_hermon

Oct 9, 2008
Last edited:

enigma2446

Jan 12, 2013
Florence, Montana
Google Pixel 6
Thanks for confirming! I actually had seen that video before but had forgotten about it. A midst everything I think I was under information overload and simply forgot. Thanks again!

Has anyone tried using the DNA on StraightTalk - Verizon rather than Straight Talk - AT&T or Straight Talk - TMobile?

Seeing that Verizon uses lte sim cards to access there LTE frequencys you would need a Verizon sim card from straight talk(not offered yet). They probably will in the near future but running the dna on there 3g network seems a little pointless and the device would not work properly if a sim card isn't being used. So I'd say no it wouldn't work or would be pointless to do at the moment in till they roll out Verizon lte. Nevertheless theoretically you could buy a cheap Verizon prepaid phone or if u have one laying around and use it as a doner phone for its IMEI number and Flash it to the dna. Then try activating it.

< Coming to you live from the planet One X >

---------- Post added at 05:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 AM ----------

Also on a other note I have used straight talk at&t sim card in the dna and worked great for hspda speeds.... The dna is sim unlocked btw and will work with the sim card for at&t my average data speeds were 6-8MB down and 1-3MB up..... ain't no lte speeds but way faster then 3g fast enough for me and is strong enough to handle almost anything... Examples..... Netflix, hotspot, YouTube, downloading music and all that good stuff but didn't do it often for the fact of possible throttling..... Personally in this world 90% of the time wifi is available so I'm always connected resulting I am my data hardly being touched.

Reactions: b_hermon

nippersa

Nov 21, 2013
hey

Seeing that Verizon uses lte sim cards to access there LTE frequencys you would need a Verizon sim card from straight talk(not offered yet). They probably will in the near future but running the dna on there 3g network seems a little pointless and the device would not work properly if a sim card isn't being used. So I'd say no it wouldn't work or would be pointless to do at the moment in till they roll out Verizon lte. Nevertheless theoretically you could buy a cheap Verizon prepaid phone or if u have one laying around and use it as a doner phone for its IMEI number and Flash it to the dna. Then try activating it.

---------- Post added at 05:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 AM ----------

Also on a other note I have used straight talk at&t sim card in the dna and worked great for hspda speeds.... The dna is sim unlocked btw and will work with the sim card for at&t my average data speeds were 6-8MB down and 1-3MB up..... ain't no lte speeds but way faster then 3g fast enough for me and is strong enough to handle almost anything... Examples..... Netflix, hotspot, YouTube, downloading music and all that good stuff but didn't do it often for the fact of possible throttling..... Personally in this world 90% of the time wifi is available so I'm always connected resulting I am my data hardly being touched.

< Coming to you live from the planet One X >[/QUOTu

you did it on stright question how do i do it . is all i gotta do is buy the at&t sim card from stright talk do i need to unlock it what i dont wanna waste money if im wrong i love my dna phone just sick of verizons price tag......ty

robertmoore208

Mar 30, 2011
Post Falls
Can anyone share their apn settings for straight talk using the AT&T card? Everything works on what I got plugged in except mms

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

JD1990

Apr 2, 2014
I actually work in Electronics at Walmart and deal with this all the time. Straight Talk will not move 4G LTE phones to their service. They aren't compatible and do not have the agreements with carriers for LTE access. If you read the CDMA/GSM bring your own phone package that includes the SIM cards it says in bold writing LTE Phones are not compatible. The DNA would not be able to be used on Straight Talk because it is a LTE phone. Straight Talk has a list of approved devices on their website. Because you do have to provide your phones IMEI they will know it is a LTE phone and deny your request to activate the phone on their services.

There seems to be one point of information you lack...the HTC Droid DNA is a factory global unlocked phone. It can be used on any network; LTE/CDMA or GSM/UMTS. Therefore, it CAN be used on the straight talk network. And just as a bit of information to anyone, 4G, 3G, 2G, etc...has nothing to do with signal type. All it stands for is what generation the signal is (i.e. version update Ex: Android 4.0). Plus just because you work in electronics at Walmart does not mean you know everything. Half the people at Walmart don't know anything and some refuse to. I know, I also worked in electronics at Walmart :victory: :p

cherryiice1

Apr 21, 2014
Steps?

Can someone please tell me the steps I need to take to get a verizon dna working on the straight talk network? It seems like some people are having perfect success, but I can't seem to find the explaination of what needs to be done. I gather that I need to buy a att sim card kit from walmart for the phone, but is there anything else that needs to be done above and beyond following the instructions for the att kit? All help is appreciated.... thanks!

xlxcrossing

Dec 6, 2009
Soquel, CA
Can someone please tell me the steps I need to take to get a verizon dna working on the straight talk network? It seems like some people are having perfect success, but I can't seem to find the explaination of what needs to be done. I gather that I need to buy a att sim card kit from walmart for the phone, but is there anything else that needs to be done above and beyond following the instructions for the att kit? All help is appreciated.... thanks!

I have the Droid DNA so I had the same questions as you before I got it. Mainly I wanted to know the internet speed. Straight Talk sells SIM cards at WalMart and online. They are 7-$10. You can get either a T Mobile SIM or an AT&T SIM. Which network you choose to operate off of is a matter of preference usually indicated by the best signal reception and/or data speeds. AT&T in most areas I believe would be better but T Mobile is vastly expanding their coverage so you may want to test both. You can bring an AT&T LTE device for LTE speeds but Verizon LTE devices such as the DNA aren't LTE supported since they use a different frequency band. The DNA does however support HSDPA or HSPA+ AKA 3G+. The speeds range from about 2-8Mbps and 14Mbps is the max capability for GSM high speed data. Since the DNA and many other devices are Global phones, they come factory unlocked, meaning they can be used on any GSM carrier. The SIM is inserted and you configure your APN setting in the android settings menu and you are up and running. So to answer your question, no special preparation is needed, just the phone and the SIM is all you need to activate service and/or transfer your number. The kit explains everything as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kutster, I hate to correct you but I actually did successfully connect my Droid DNA using the Walmart SIM card. Now in my area it was actually called FamilyMobile, and run by T-Mobile. I purchased a SIM card from Walmart, took it home, plugged it in, set up an account, and it worked. Granted, you don't get LTE, but it does work and is mega cheap ($40/mo unlimited). I ended up cancelling and taking it back, simply because the internet was very slow, and the coverage wasn't very good in my area (T-Mobile sucks in my area). I do want to stress though that it definitely does work! I think I'll try AT&T GoPhone next.

The important thing to remember is this phone (the DNA) has all the radios necessary to connect to just about anybody but Sprint's network. Don't always believe what the companies tell ya.
    In my area AT&T has much wider and more reliable data coverage. I was often on edge everywhere in my hometown while on T-Mobile. This may not be the case for Houston. Just test drive both networks for a month each.
    I actually work in Electronics at Walmart and deal with this all the time. Straight Talk will not move 4G LTE phones to their service. They aren't compatible and do not have the agreements with carriers for LTE access. If you read the CDMA/GSM bring your own phone package that includes the SIM cards it says in bold writing LTE Phones are not compatible. The DNA would not be able to be used on Straight Talk because it is a LTE phone. Straight Talk has a list of approved devices on their website. Because you do have to provide your phones IMEI they will know it is a LTE phone and deny your request to activate the phone on their services.
    So are you guys able to use gsm networks with the 2.06 firmware?
    I'm using net10 (att) with my DNA with 2.04 firmware and I'm hesitant to update to 2.06 until I can confirm that the 2.06 update keeps gsm completely unlocked?

I'm on 2.06 using a straight talk sim I can't get LTE speeds or even my signal to say LTE but I get H+ and max out at about 8mbps

Sent from my AOSP on Grouper using xda app-developers app
    Thanks for confirming! I actually had seen that video before but had forgotten about it. A midst everything I think I was under information overload and simply forgot. Thanks again!

Has anyone tried using the DNA on StraightTalk - Verizon rather than Straight Talk - AT&T or Straight Talk - TMobile?