No registration required

Kit Kat KRT16S rolling out

OP khaytsus

20th November 2013, 08:55 PM   |  #51  
Thanks Meter: 24

123 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytomorow

but this way will wipe me won't it? Or can I do this dirty (without wiping anything) and retain my data and setup?

There's really nothing dirty about it if you are coming from KRT16O. You won't lose your data, apps, customizations, or anything like that as long as you don't flash userdata.img. Just flash boot.img and system.img, and don't wipe or reset anything. Dalvik cache will be rebuilt after you reboot. Letting it sit about 10 minutes after that never hurts either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CatThief For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th November 2013, 09:07 PM   |  #52  
Thanks Meter: 33

199 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitride

Go back into NRT - run the drivers check, uninstall - reboot - install universal adb drivers, then, root & install custom recovery (TWRP as default)

It should give you back root once everything is done, and, optional, flash to CWM if desired - happy running mine on NRT16S.

Thanks for the advice but flashing in TWRP gives me the same error. I guess I should just flash factory of S build
20th November 2013, 09:32 PM   |  #53  
Flag vancouver

277 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatThief

There's really nothing dirty about it if you are coming from KRT16O. You won't lose your data, apps, customizations, or anything like that as long as you don't flash userdata.img. Just flash boot.img and system.img, and don't wipe or reset anything. Dalvik cache will be rebuilt after you reboot. Letting it sit about 10 minutes after that never hurts either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Worked brilliantly, thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbytomorow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th November 2013, 10:20 PM   |  #54  
Thanks Meter: 45

122 posts
So I had the original nexus 7 4.4 OTA (rooted) as my primary rom with Multi-Rom/TWRP installed. I had flashed the Oxydo kernel.

I got the OTA notification and decided to roll the dice and let it install (knowing it would probably do something bad to my custom multirom/recovery/kernel setup.) It actually restarted and installed no problem in TWRP and the build version checks out as KRT16S now. I retained root, multi-rom, Oxydo and TWRP with seemingly no adverse affects.

Is that normal?
Last edited by usefulidiot127; 20th November 2013 at 10:25 PM.
21st November 2013, 02:54 AM   |  #55  
OP Senior Member
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,117

7,013 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by usefulidiot127

So I had the original nexus 7 4.4 OTA (rooted) as my primary rom with Multi-Rom/TWRP installed. I had flashed the Oxydo kernel.

I got the OTA notification and decided to roll the dice and let it install (knowing it would probably do something bad to my custom multirom/recovery/kernel setup.) It actually restarted and installed no problem in TWRP and the build version checks out as KRT16S now. I retained root, multi-rom, Oxydo and TWRP with seemingly no adverse affects.

Is that normal?

TWRP might automatically remove the recovery-from-boot.p script, dunno. Otherwise, your TWRP is probably not there anymore. Retaining root, dunno, not sure why that was the case unless TWRP handles that as well, or you had the Chainfire 1.72 beta that was supposed to be OTA resistant.

As for custom kernel, sure, this update didn't touch the kernel.
21st November 2013, 03:43 PM   |  #56  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 0

18 posts
Quote:

but this way will wipe me won't it? Or can I do this dirty (without wiping anything) and retain my data and setup?

Hi i am facing a soft brick on nexus 4, while i was flashing kitkat krt160 .
I unlocked the bootloader. And then i forgot to turn onn the usb debugging and flash the package via 'flash-all' command in cmd. While flashing the krt160 radio got flash and after that there was no progress. Now the device doesn't start into 4.3 .

Please help me to fix it..
21st November 2013, 03:44 PM   |  #57  
Flag Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Thanks Meter: 401

663 posts
More
Hi, all...

Not been doing much Android related stuff this past few days... had to deal with some real world (financial) issues. But that's all now been happily resolved. But I still kept an eye on these forums/threads.

I noticed that @khaytsus had started this thread, and had made available the KRT16S OTA.zip (thanks, khaytsus). Downloaded it, but decided not to bother doing anything with it at the time. My mind was preoccupied with other matters... but I knew some weird sh!# was going on, because XDA's resident archiver-in-chief, @oldblue910 had started a thread about the full factory images being 'silently updated' a couple of days before... but without a new build name.

Anyway, I turned on my Nexus 7 for the first time in a few days this morning (UK time)... and I received an official OTA notification in the status bar. I accepted it, it downloaded, and it updated my system from KRT16O to KRT16S via TWRP v2.6.3.1... without problems.

This is the first time I've EVER updated my Nexus 7 through official channels, since I got it in November of last year, when it originally shipped with Jellybean 4.1... and it went through several OTA updates straight out of the box.

Of course, and as I expected with the KRT16S OTA, I lost TWRP and root... but it was a simple matter to fastboot flash TWRP again, and re-acquire root.

Interestingly, I didn't have to bother deleting (or renaming) /system/recovery-from-boot.p. (It was already renamed to recovery-from-boot.bak) - I'm not sure how though, because I didn't explicitly rename it myself... maybe TWRP did it automatically??.. Anyway, TWRP just 'stuck' after fastboot flashing it.

So, my 'grouper' N7 is now running the latest KK build, with TWRP installed, and rooted via Chainfire.

Incidentally, there's a new version of Chainfire's SuperSU (v1.75) root updater .zip...

Details here...
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/st...l1aoor5ezninhc

XDA discussion thread here...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1538053

Direct download here...
http://download.chainfire.eu/368/Sup...erSU-v1.75.zip

----------------------------------------

Well... I hope that's it for this iteration of Android (v4.4 KitKat KRT16S).

I'm as big a fan as the next guy for getting the latest version of Android on our devices, but these piddling little updates (KRT16S OTA is just 1.4Mb !) really are a bit of nuisance, particularly when you're rooted and you have to re-root all over again. Not a crippling issue to be sure, but still a case of "oh no, not again".

One wonders why Google can't get it right the first time with their updates.

Rgrds,
Ged.
Last edited by GedBlake; 21st November 2013 at 08:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GedBlake For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2013, 03:47 PM   |  #58  
Recognized Contributor / Archivist-in-Chief
Flag Durham, NC
Thanks Meter: 2,455

3,503 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GedBlake

...XDA's resident archiver-in-chief, @oldblue910...

I love that title. I'm going to put it in my signature. haha
The Following User Says Thank You to oldblue910 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2013, 04:05 PM   |  #59  
Flag vancouver

277 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushalized

I unlocked the bootloader. And then i forgot to turn onn the usb debugging and flash the package via 'flash-all' command in cmd. While flashing the krt160 radio got flash and after that there was no progress. Now the device doesn't start into 4.3 .

Can you get into bootloader? If you can you can flash factory image via adb
21st November 2013, 05:08 PM   |  #60  
Flag Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Thanks Meter: 401

663 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushalized

Hi, Kushalized...

Given you state you have a Nexus 4, you might have better luck posting this question on the correct forum (this particular forum pertains to the first gen. Nexus 7). So, I would recommend you post somewhere here.

Quote:

Can you get into bootloader? If you can you can flash factory image via adb.

Erm... you actually flash (ie., fastboot flash) full factory images with the fastboot tool. ADB is effectively useless, whilst the device is booted into the bootloader.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread