5,606,779 Members 38,047 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lag, low quality video streaming, and video stutter.

Tip us?

TheTanker23
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Lag, low quality video streaming, and video stutter.

I bought the Verizon g2 a couple days ago and have noticed some serious lag. This thing is a beast and I don't think it should be experiencing some of the things I'm experiencing. The first thing I noticed was that the screen is unbelievably sensitive so much so that I'll have my thumb hovered over the on screen buttons on the bottom and it will register that I've pressed them without touching the screen. It shouldn't bother as much a it does but it doesn't happen all the time which I find odd.

The second gripe I have is with the serious lag I've experienced. The home screen lags terribly, when opening apps it lags, and when using apps it lags. It randomly stops music playback after a song has finished. And knock on only works half the time, if that.

The last gripe is that video playback looks horrendous... I've used YouTube and Netflix with HD video and it looks like its playing 480p. It's such low quality and actually stutters when the camera is panning around. I have VERY fast Verizon FIOS internet that can handle 1080p video playback at all times. I know it is not the internet connection so it must be the phone. Are these problems that others have experienced or should I be looking to replace it with another phone? If this is to be expecting with this phone should I just return it for the HTC One? any discussion/ help/ advice is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app

jayochs
Old
Thanks Meter 2679
I've seen none of these issues whatsoever except the home screen "lag." I've got the Verizon version. the home screen lag i describe is launcher redraw. search youtube for my video "LG g2 launcher redraw" and I'm sure you'll find it. the remedy? I use nova launcher prime now and don't even bother with the stock g2 launcher. works much better and looks just like KitKat.

my video playback looks great. YouTube is known for only showing 720p and never 1080. there are modded youtube apps for 1080, though.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk Pro
LG G2
HTC Droid DNA
Google Nexus 7 (2013)

Previous Devices:

Samsung Galaxy S5 (returned)
Samsung Galaxy SIII 16gb Blue

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Sold)
Samsung Galaxy S4 (Sold)
Samsung Galaxy SIII 16gb White (Sold)
HTC Incredible (AMOLED)
HTC Eris

HTC Rezound
HTC Evo View 4G

lilviet93
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
I've seen none of these issues whatsoever except the home screen "lag." I've got the Verizon version. the home screen lag i describe is launcher redraw. search youtube for my video "LG g2 launcher redraw" and I'm sure you'll find it. the remedy? I use nova launcher prime now and don't even bother with the stock g2 launcher. works much better and looks just like KitKat.

my video playback looks great. YouTube is known for only showing 720p and never 1080. there are modded youtube apps for 1080, though.

Can you show me the direction for the 1080p YouTube apk? Thank you

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

TheTanker23
Old
(Last edited by TheTanker23; 22nd November 2013 at 05:26 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:

Yeah I thought the home screen lag wasn't a big deal and was pretty normal but the video truly is terrible. My brother has an iphone 4 and it looks MUCH better than what I get on the G2. I'm pretty convinced I just got a bad unit because I'm also experiencing an annoying buzzing sound during phone calls. It's like a high pitched, low volume hissing that is on for a few seconds, cuts out, then comes back on for another few seconds. I've researched quite a bit on this phone and the HTC One and this seems to be a pretty common bug for the G2. I'm going to return this unit for another one and hope that most (if not all) of these bugs are gone, but if they aren't I'm going to have to go with the HTC One or the S4. Thanks for the reply though.

IamPro
Old
Thanks Meter 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilviet93 View Post
Can you show me the direction for the 1080p YouTube apk? Thank you

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTanker23 View Post
Yeah I thought the home screen lag wasn't a big deal and was pretty normal but the video truly is terrible. .
Just use Viral, more features then YT app

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2413078

TheTanker23
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quick follow up after returning my phone and getting another. So far it's working perfectly. Tested the call quality and no high pitched tone so that's good. Absolutely no lag so far. This phone's awesome!

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app