XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Turn off Default SMS & Call Widget on Lock Screen

Tip us?

apurva.giri
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Phone Turn off Default SMS & Call Widget on Lock Screen

I do like the stock 4.3. Its much smoother compared to 4.2.1.
But what I don't like is the default SMS widget that shows up on the locks screen when we receive an SMS.
Same goes for Miss Calls.
The sms is displayed on the screen itself, so basically anybody could read the sms as it arrives (I dont like putting lock).
I know, there is a setting to disable sms display but that will turn off the displaying of the message on notification bar aswell.

So is there any way to turn off that widget ? I couldn't find any yet.

Infact, this whole lock screen widget thing is not so cool because, as per my experience, if I put widgets, the phone takes up a while (1-2 secs) to wake up.
The Following User Says Thank You to apurva.giri For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

syedzeshan
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva.giri View Post
I do like the stock 4.3. Its much smoother compared to 4.2.1.
But what I don't like is the default SMS widget that shows up on the locks screen when we receive an SMS.
Same goes for Miss Calls.
The sms is displayed on the screen itself, so basically anybody could read the sms as it arrives (I dont like putting lock).
I know, there is a setting to disable sms display but that will turn off the displaying of the message on notification bar aswell.

So is there any way to turn off that widget ? I couldn't find any yet.

Infact, this whole lock screen widget thing is not so cool because, as per my experience, if I put widgets, the phone takes up a while (1-2 secs) to wake up.
if your on a rooted device,then probably you can freeze that widget using titanium backup or linksd. or on a unrooted phone you can also disable it. settings>apps

apurva.giri
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Talking Could you point out which one to turn off ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedzeshan View Post
if your on a rooted device,then probably you can freeze that widget using titanium backup or linksd. or on a unrooted phone you can also disable it. settings>apps
I've turned off most of the unusable apps. That reduced my ram usage to 800 mb now but didn't find any app to turn off for this thing.
Could you point out which app u r talking about ?

syedzeshan
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva.giri View Post
I've turned off most of the unusable apps. That reduced my ram usage to 800 mb now but didn't find any app to turn off for this thing.
Could you point out which app u r talking about ?
sorry I dont know which app/process it is because I don't own a Samsung device!
you must try to find it yourselves by just freezing apps/process related to lockscreen one after the other!

izz.amizan
Old
(Last edited by izz.amizan; 23rd November 2013 at 12:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 49
hmmm... what r u doing here at the first place?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

cyberpunk627
Old
Thanks Meter 195
Had the same question as thread opener. I'd prefer to use dashclock to handle this kind of things, non that Samsung stuff. And, at the same time, I'd like to keep text content readable on notification bar. Is this lock screen notification disposable somehow? I see nothing that could be related to it in settings

Note 2 N7100 - DN3 ROM @240 dpi - MK4
Galaxy Note II N7100 | Alliance ROM | 240 dpi

apurva.giri
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Angry I took the other way to solve this one..

I have actually installed Textra sms client and I have kept the stock Messaging app aswell.
So, now on, the new sms is captured by Textra and displayed on status bar like before. And if I want, I can use stock sms to reply or read, but I prefer textra now. In case you prefer textra, u can actually turn off stock Messaging from App manager and permanently use Textra (or any other sms client) as a replacement.

assist4tech
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Just install a 3rd party SMS app and disable notifications in stock app.

Donnt be bothered about RAM when using a powerhouse such as Note 2

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Current Device : HTC One X+

Device is still cool enough to be used without Root

cyberpunk627
Old
Thanks Meter 195
I managed to obtain what I needed with rom toolbox pro using its auto run manager function. Make system apps visible, than look for a package named com.sec.android.app.keyguard and disable the first receiver, whose lengthy name ends with "missed widget provider". No more notifications on lock screen taking the place of my widgets (namely dashclock)!
Hope this helps, fell free to ask for clarifications if needed. No side effects noted until now, but I seldom receive text messages since WhatsApp has been invented, so it hasn't been tested much. Cheers!

Galaxy Note II N7100 | Alliance ROM | 240 dpi
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cyberpunk627 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ash359
Old
Thanks Meter 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpunk627 View Post
I managed to obtain what I needed with rom toolbox pro using its auto run manager function. Make system apps visible, than look for a package named com.sec.android.app.keyguard and disable the first receiver, whose lengthy name ends with "missed widget provider". No more notifications on lock screen taking the place of my widgets (namely dashclock)!
Hope this helps, fell free to ask for clarifications if needed. No side effects noted until now, but I seldom receive text messages since WhatsApp has been invented, so it hasn't been tested much. Cheers!

Thanks for that! I did the same thing using autostarts.

Sent from my Jedi MasterX Note 2

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ash359 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
lock screen widget, n7100, note 2