5,598,980 Members 31,445 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't push files to phone, related to MTP drivers?

Tip us?

JMRboosties
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Can't push files to phone, related to MTP drivers?

So I'm an Android developer who usually works on a mac or my PC laptop with no issues connecting and pushing/pulling files from my S3. I have been trying to do this on my desktop PC however and find that I can only pull files from the phone, not push them. I've tried doing this just via the Windows UI, the developer ADB UI, and running adb commands via console. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers several times and that hasn't changed my luck either.

I think it has something to do with the MTP drivers on my computer:

Full disclosure, I'm not running a legit version of Windows 7, and I suspect that is the root of the problem (my laptop is running a legit version of Windows 8 and never causes a problem).

I've searched around for any answers regarding the MTP driver, but the best I can find is an old link on Microsoft's website for Windows XP or Vista which requires a product key for that version of Windows...

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Greycloak42
Old
Thanks Meter 38
It shouldn't matter if your copy of Windows legit or not. Try uninstalling the drivers from control panel, then install the drivers with administrator permission.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 (i747)
Synergy ROM and KT747 JB kernel

JMRboosties
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greycloak42 View Post
It shouldn't matter if your copy of Windows legit or not. Try uninstalling the drivers from control panel, then install the drivers with administrator permission.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
Gave that a shot, it didn't give me the MTP error this time, but it still hangs up when I try to push something to the device.

99ytrewq9111
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Try going into Kies and reinstalling the drivers from there ( Its somewhere at the top)

Then connect your device while kies is opened and the drivers are reinstalled. I had a similar error and fixed the MTP. If you can't push files to a device, try to unlock the lockscreen?

Never heard of that sort of problem. I hope you get it fixed.

JMRboosties
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ytrewq9111 View Post
Try going into Kies and reinstalling the drivers from there ( Its somewhere at the top)

Then connect your device while kies is opened and the drivers are reinstalled. I had a similar error and fixed the MTP. If you can't push files to a device, try to unlock the lockscreen?

Never heard of that sort of problem. I hope you get it fixed.
Can't see anywhere to upgrade drivers via Kies (which I reinstalled). I can't push any files to Kies either... but I can view all my files on the device and pull from it. All drivers seem to be installed correctly.