Small microSD card reader for USB-OTG, works with Moto G

Search This thread

techguyone

Mar 5, 2011
Just for clarity, as no ones actually said yet - Does this actually work with the G (I know it works with the X) but the G doesn't have OTG support does it?

I wouldn't want to order one and find it doesn't work...

Reactions: Wh00sher

episode96

Jul 11, 2013
Tried OTG using a cable last evening, and this is what I found out from my testing:

- USB memory sticks were only recognized (mounted under /storage and listed by ES File Manager) when formatted as FAT32. Tried NTFS and exFat without success. I haven't tried any Linux filesystems because I need my storage media to work under Windows as well.

- Even when using FAT32 I could read from external media but I got a "Permission denied" message when trying to write to it.

Anyone can confirm my findings? Any solutions that don't involve custom ROMs and / or rooting at this point?

episode96

Jul 11, 2013
I have no problem writing to my stick via USB OTG. Maybe you should use another explorer? I use RootExplorer, which works without root also.

I've tried FX Explorer and Root Browser Lite, no joy. Also tried creating a directory using Terminal Emulator, it says "mkdir failed for newfolder, Permission denied". This with three different sticks FAT32 - formatted

If I ls -l the storage dir, this is what I get:

d--rwxr-x system media_rw 2013-12-03 19:43 usbdisk_1.1.1

Not sure what to try next. Could the cable have something to do with it?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts