5,596,568 Members 41,068 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Knox present or not ?

Tip us?

sakshamdhawan
Old
(Last edited by sakshamdhawan; 24th November 2013 at 03:25 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Knox present or not ?

I have a samsung galaxy s4 i9500 running Android 4.3 ( firmware I9500XXUEMJ9) (country-India).

I have updated to Android 4.3 officially. ()Now I see a knox shortcut icon , When I tap on it , I see a screen to download knox. (see the image below).

Also when I go to download mode , I see nothing related to knox warranty bit. So , does that mean my s4 is knox free ?

I wish to root my phone without loosing warranty according to the following thread.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2317105
Can I flash "PDA_I9500XXUEMJ9_KNOXFREE_ROOT_ODEX" and the binary counter/knox flag (if it exits) will not change ?

[I wanted to post in that thread but I am not allowed to ]

Please help me. I want to root without loosing warranty.

erikasnoske
Old
(Last edited by erikasnoske; 24th November 2013 at 12:26 PM.) Reason: fixed grammar :D
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakshamdhawan View Post
I have a samsung galaxy s4 i9500 running Android 4.3 ( firmware I9500XXUEMJ9) (country-India).

After updating to 4.3 , I see a knox shortcut icon , When I tap on it , I see a screen to download knox. (see the image below).

Also when I go to download mode , I see nothing related to knox warranty bit. So , does that mean my s4 is knox free ?

I wish to root my phone without loosing warranty according to the following thread.
Can I flash "PDA_I9500XXUEMJ9_KNOXFREE_ROOT_ODEX" and the binary counter/knox flag (if it exits) will not change ?

Nahhh... It's not possible, if you flash non-knox (knox freer) ROM, and then your phone still asks for KNOX - Idk... Just try to reflash your firmware.

Try to go to custom recovery menu (flash it if you don't have), that in the CWM (or phillz - whatever) try to format /system and /data. Wipe data and cache, try to flash firmware via odin again.. That's my solution and will probably works.

But - check your apps list - if you can find app KNOX or somethings like that (in the name "knox"), download root uninstall app, delete knox notification and knox... Just search

Bordo_Bereli51
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:

After updating to 4.3 , I see a knox shortcut icon , When I tap on it , I see a screen to download knox. (see the image below).

You have already the warranty bit. It is related to Knox warranty void 0x0. It cannot be reseted if it is 1
This firmware PDA_I9500XXUEMJ9_KNOXFREE_ROOT_ODEX if you flash it, your bit will change to 1 because the bootloader sees that the firmware pda is custom

leveex
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm wondering too

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

I have the same as Sakshamdhawn. So i am wondering too... Will I lose my warranty if i root my phone.
Actually I'm wondering do I have knox or not

sakshamdhawan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I want to make it clear that I updated to android 4.3 officially.I have not rooted, not installed any custom recovery ..nothing !
So till now my phone status is fully offical .Warranty bit is 0 too.

Now I wish to root and i clearly know Knox bootloader will void the warranty.

But what I am trying to ask is do I have the knox secured bootlooder ? or a knox free bootloader ?
Because I only see the warranty bit and there is no mention of knox in download mode.

This is an image from 19505. There is a mention of knox. But look at the image in my first post - knox is not mentioned in download mode.

If it is not a knox secured bootloader , I only need to worry about the binary counter .And According to this thread , flashing pre rooted rom will not increase binary counter.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2317105&page=5

Sorry if am making all this confusing !

Bordo_Bereli51
Old
(Last edited by Bordo_Bereli51; 24th November 2013 at 06:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
I want to make it clear that I updated to android 4.3 officially.I have not rooted, not installed any custom recovery ..nothing !
So till now my phone status is fully offical .Warranty bit is 0 too.

Now I wish to root and i clearly know Knox bootloader will void the warranty.

But what I am trying to ask is do I have the knox secured bootlooder ? or a knox free bootloader ?
Because I only see the warranty bit and there is no mention of knox in download mode.

This is an image from 19505. There is a mention of knox. But look at the image in my first post - knox is not mentioned in download mode.

If it is not a knox secured bootloader , I only need to worry about the binary counter .And According to this thread , flashing pre rooted rom will not increase binary counter.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2317105&page=5

Sorry if am making all this confusing !
You have already the knox secure bootloader,I can see in your download mode the warranty bit 0!!!
if your warranty bit is 0, you are in warranty but if it is tripped to 1 you cant reset it. I9505 is a LTE quad core Model and not I9500 the octa core Model.
In our I9505 model, we can see the knox warranty void 0x0 if we have the secured knox bootloader.
But in yours I9500 model, you have the warranty bit 0, it is similar to knox warranty void 0x0 and it tells that you have the secured knox bootloader.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leveex View Post
I'm wondering too

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

I have the same as Sakshamdhawn. So i am wondering too... Will I lose my warranty if i root my phone.
Actually I'm wondering do I have knox or not

reboot to download mode and see there, if knox warranty void 0x0 is present or not
The Following User Says Thank You to Bordo_Bereli51 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

erikasnoske
Old
Thanks Meter 14

How it's possible to flash firmware and have root without voided warranty? :P

jaswinky
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikasnoske View Post

How it's possible to flash firmware and have root without voided warranty? :P
Not possible using stock Samsung bootloader. That 4.3 unknoxed custom rom should have been flashed from stock 4.2.2 over 4.2.2 bootloader, so you would have any kind of Frankenstein, 4.3 rom over 4.2.2 bootloader, and you will never be able to flash a stock rom without consider to get the knox warranty bit. Once installed stock 4.3 with Knox bootloader, warranty bit will always be present, so if you try to flash or root anything the bit will be activated.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 usando Tapatalk 2

RISHI RAJ
Old
Thanks Meter 87
If u wanna root just root.I tripped d counter within 15 days of purchase.I had 4.3 preinstalled in it.Now it is 0*1

Sent from my GT-I9500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

erikasnoske
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RISHI RAJ View Post
If u wanna root just root.I tripped d counter within 15 days of purchase.I had 4.3 preinstalled in it.Now it is 0*1

Sent from my GT-I9500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I remember I flashed roms first day I bought it... It was about 4-5 months ago.. :P