XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] OTA update is failing

Tip us?

txtinman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] OTA update is failing

I have my phone rooted so I can use the hotspot feature and I have no problems with it. When the OTA update came I expected it to kill root and I was prepared for that also. The problem is when the phone reboots and begins installing the update, it ends with an error. It doesn't say what the error is. I'm just wondering if the error might be root related or phone related. Anyone else seeing this problem?

daniel4653
Old
Thanks Meter 2344
Root related. There is a thread to how to update MJA with MF9 boot loader I HIGHLY recommend that of you truly want to update.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Team Kernelizers: Making the best out of your phone
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel4653 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FanOfSkynyrd
Old
Thanks Meter 80
I think your issue is the hotspot mod add to why the update is failing. But I agree with above, I'd go the update route that gets you the update minus the Knox bootloader

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to FanOfSkynyrd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

txtinman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfSkynyrd View Post
I think your issue is the hotspot mod add to why the update is failing. But I agree with above, I'd go the update route that gets you the update minus the Knox bootloader

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
My phone is working real good now, good battery life, no dropped calls, etc. I wonder if updating is really worth the effort? I'll have to see what advantages 4.3 will give me. Thanks for the tip on the above thread.

cruise350
Old
Thanks Meter 557
Yes, any modded files in the system partition(hot-spot mod) will cause the OTA to fail. Also, you must be on the stock recovery.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4
Phones & Tablets: Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 8", Evo 4g LTE, Evo 3D, Acer Iconia A500, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Ipad 2, Nabi 2,

Rom: Rooted Stock Odexed, Hotspot Mod, Xposed, Wanum
Firmware: NAE
Kernel: Stock
TWRP: 2.6.3.0