XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Texting from Tablet - Without having an Android Phone

Tip us?

StrangerWeather
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3533
Default [Q] Texting from Tablet - Without having an Android Phone

I have a mobile phone, and I use it to text, but it is not an android phone, it's just an ordinary cheap phone, not smart.
I find texting difficult because the keys are so small.
Is anybody aware of an app that would allow me to text from my Nexus 7? I see a lot of texting apps but they all require an android phone for pairing.
Thanks for any help!

cramamarshall
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerWeather View Post
I have a mobile phone, and I use it to text, but it is not an android phone, it's just an ordinary cheap phone, not smart.
I find texting difficult because the keys are so small.
Is anybody aware of an app that would allow me to text from my Nexus 7? I see a lot of texting apps but they all require an android phone for pairing.
Thanks for any help!
Well I use Grooveip you will need a Google Voice account setup and either a wi-fi/3G connection for your tablet! But it works great for text and phone calls! I have a hotspot that I have with me at all times so my tablet pretty much is on all the time! I have been using this app for a couple years now!

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to cramamarshall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

StrangerWeather
Old
Thanks Meter 3533
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramamarshall View Post
Well I use Grooveip you will need a Google Voice account setup and either a wi-fi/3G connection for your tablet! But it works great for text and phone calls! I have a hotspot that I have with me at all times so my tablet pretty much is on all the time! I have been using this app for a couple years now!

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk 4
Will try, thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

StrangerWeather
Old
Thanks Meter 3533
Quote:
Will try, thanks!

It doesn't work because in my country I have to pay to have a Google Voice account...

Any other ideas guys?

t_007_v2
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
It doesn't work because in my country I have to pay to have a Google Voice account...

Any other ideas guys?

Check out an app called textPlus in the play store. Textplus is my preferred app for texting (free) and occasionally calling.
Cheers

Shadowgun DZ: Fudgeurpizzy. MC4: Thehammer_v2. SaS: Fudgeurpizzy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t_007_v2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

StrangerWeather
Old
Thanks Meter 3533
Thanks, I tried it and it looks great but you have to have a US or Canadian number. However, I found something this afternoon called Yuilop. It gives you a number for texting and phoning from your tablet. Works in the UK as well and is free. I would rather use my own number, but I guess this is better than nothing!

Abel669
Old
Thanks Meter 87

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks, I tried it and it looks great but you have to have a US or Canadian number. However, I found something this afternoon called Yuilop. It gives you a number for texting and phoning from your tablet. Works in the UK as well and is free. I would rather use my own number, but I guess this is better than nothing!

There is an app I used for a while called "hushed", it is the same as all the above however you get a free trial US number and can earn(with installing apps) or buy with real money...

I personally earnt enough money to buy a local UK number to see if it worked and it did, it is really good. And it had voicemail features.

Look it up in the play store

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The Following User Says Thank You to Abel669 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]