5,595,964 Members 31,404 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Don't be afraid of fixing your screen!

Tip us?

bobbytomorow
Old
(Last edited by bobbytomorow; 24th November 2013 at 03:08 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Default Don't be afraid of fixing your screen!

I didn't want to start a new thread regarding the screen lift issue,bit the solution is extremely simple even my grandma could do it!

I started to expirience the screen lift issue. A few weeks ago it started with a kind of creaking sound coming from one of the sides of the screen....with my finger I could feel that the display glass was slightly higher than the bezel on the side while the rest of the display sat slightly recessed. After some time this issue only became worse with one side of the display protruding by at a couple of milimetres, something had to be done.... I'm well versed in hardware repair but this issue found me lazy and in bed.

These are the steps I took while still under my blankets:

-used my thumb nail to separate the display from the backing case. Was extremely easy, I started exactly in the center of the top (behind the camera and in between where the textured back meets the silver bezel.)
-ran my thumb nail around the entire bezel, at times gently using my fingers to lift a little and the nexus backing easily popped off...very easily
-with the backing off now the screws that tighten the display down were exposed around the perimeter of the logic board/ motherboard ...took a precision Phillips and tightened them all up, they were loose.
-snapped the back back on, good as new
My Android Timeline
HTC Dream>HTC Hero>Samsung Galaxy S>HTC Desire Z>HTC Panache>HTC Sensation>Galaxy Nexus>Nexus 4
HP Touchpad>HTC Flyer>Asus Transformer>Kindle Fire>Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbytomorow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Cor-master
Old
Thanks Meter 505
I've done that and it works...for a little while then comes back. At this point I've given up, asked my wife to get me a new nexus 7 for Christmas, between creaking issues that always come back, and intermittent lag I think its time to move on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

erica_renee
Old
Thanks Meter 479

DONATE TO ME
Exclamation Use Caution

When the n7 FIRST came out this was a HUGE Issue. there were thread after thread about this. and even a few poles . Most people from my reading had there screen break a few days to a week or so after tightening those screws. A few people took their nexus apart and re glued the screen down . Most of there stayed fixed and did NOT CRACK.

Most have said Its a Design flow in the Frame work around the Glass . on the left side of the device where the Display connector is there is NO Support for the glass .

Be careful
aS SAID in the many other Threads about this issue. I replied here just incase you Decided to Not read about others experiences with this problem. Tightening those screws the screen can't flex with heat changes and WILL CRACK
Its my Nexus 7 Get your own.Play nice and follow the rules or you WILL end up in the knob jail Cell

PassingThruLife
Old
Thanks Meter 7
i started having the screen lift issues after i dropped my nexus 7 from my desk (stupid me,i had it on a vitamin bottle lol).

I can press down and the screen will even out but it lifts back up after a while. I just got a case and now it doesnt bother me,cant really tell.

does the lifting cause a problem for the touch input later or something?

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

i started having the screen lift issues after i dropped my nexus 7 from my desk (stupid me,i had it on a vitamin bottle lol).

I can press down and the screen will even out but it lifts back up after a while. I just got a case and now it doesnt bother me,cant really tell.

does the lifting cause a problem for the touch input later or something?
Tags
display, fix, loose, pressure, screen